• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Okay.. What did I do wrong ?

Part of what I was thinking is that they are self locking nuts, and the sprocket isn't under any side loads in use, so the nuts don't need to be terribly tight, just tight enough so they hold the sprocket firmly to the hub and don't loosen up.
Whatever, even though I'm certain 45 ft. lbs. would do the job just fine, I'll put mine back to 60 when I get around to wearing out a sprocket. That will be a while since I don't ride in the dirt and try to keep my chain and sprockets clean.

The same torque values (108 N.m (11.0 kgf.m, 80 lbf.ft)) are given in 2012 NC SM for the rest of the world and in 2014-2015 CTX700 SM.

Since all NC CTX have been basically the same since 2012 .......if there is a print error, the error would be continued as a word processing cut and paste until someone discovered the error. By the way this is one reason mamaufactures like on line manuals as they can be updated at little or no cost and there are no out dated error pages "left in the library".

Ok then.........who wants to a take a known good quality, recently calibrated torque wrench and tighten their sprocket fasteners to 80 ftlbs and see what happens ????????? We do know the break away torque has been measured at least once at about 65 ftlbs.

As a couple more data points Honda auto lugs note with 10mm studs are torqued to 80 ftlbs and 12mm studs are torqued to 94 ftlbs. So the numbers are NOT crazy out of the range depending ( of course) on the grade of the fasteners.

Last edited:
Break away torque normally is lower than the tightening torque, but can be about up to 2 1/2 times higher mainly due to corrosion or deformation... You can't really tell what was the tightening torque using a torque wrench... There are other special tools for that job.

Update:

The studs are easily removed from the hub with a pair of locking pliers and a little bit of elbow grease.

Will order 5 new studs and locking nuts from Honda Parts Warehouse tonight.

The threads on the studs are shot.. they were before the locking pliers but they really are now. Threads at the top of the stud are good, but at the bottom, they are mostly just turned right off the stud.

There is no marking that I can see on the stud. They appear (to me) to be some low-ish grade aluminum, I am not surprised they stripped under 80 lb ft bearing what some of the earlier posts were.

Do you know if they're the original parts or a replacement?

Be sure that when you install the new ones, that everything is clean without any trace of lubricant. I guess an alcohol based brake cleaner will do the job with no residues behind...

Last edited:
Update# 2

I just checked my two torque wrenches against one another. I set 600 inch lbs on my small breaker bar and 50 ft lbs on my large (on my car's lug nuts) the larger bar did not move the lug nut at all. So I can assume that they are both set the same, and I assume they are set correctly.

They are original parts, that sprocket had never come off before.

Update# 2

I just checked my two torque wrenches against one another. I set 600 inch lbs on my small breaker bar and 50 ft lbs on my large (on my car's lug nuts) the larger bar did not move the lug nut at all. So I can assume that they are both set the same, and I assume they are set correctly.

They are original parts, that sprocket had never come off before.
It takes more torque to move a previously torqued nut than it took to torque it to whatever torque it was torqued to. That's why procedures for re-torquing cylinder head bolts/nuts call for loosening them first, then torquing them again to the proper spec.

Ok then.........who wants to a take a known good quality, recently calibrated torque wrench and tighten their sprocket fasteners to 80 ftlbs and see what happens ????????? We do know the break away torque has been measured at least once at about 65 ftlbs.

As a couple more data points Honda auto lugs note with 10mm studs are torqued to 80 ftlbs and 12mm studs are torqued to 94 ftlbs. So the numbers are NOT crazy out of the range depending ( of course) on the grade of the fasteners.

I torqued mine a month ago to 80 ft lbs with a calibrated torque wrench known to be in spec. I did not strip any threads, but I remain skeptical as to whether the published spec is accurate. Next time I don't think I'll go with 80 ft lbs.

So the steel threads stripped from trying to torque the nut, not the threads in the aluminum (which is what I thought happened)?; that is actually good news then; way less damage than I thought had happened. Would run a thread chaser in and out of the hub/carrier anyway if you have one, and put new ones in with some lock-tite. I'm in the 60 ft-lb camp at this point, with lock-tite (for the nuts that is).

That is good advice, thanks. I will do that.

For those purists interested, I have several torque wrenches calibrated on a yearly basis and verifiable with NIST traceability. I have not needed or wanted to change the sprocket yet, but I'd be more than glad to clear up the calibration issue on clean dry threads at the risk of stripping threads. I'd be inclined to do it asap if a number of people chipped in for new studs. Any interest?

Personally I don't use torque wrenches for much unless the threads they're going on are nearly new. But not everyone has the luxury of learning the "feel" or torques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread got me curious.

I've got new sprockets and a chain shipped yesterday, so I will be doing this maintenance. In the 2016 service manual it's listed at 108Nm/80lb-ft in lots of different tables and diagrams:

fd70a41b17c82d5253f9baab19045733.jpg

15ad5c6fa578eaa3d727b8eb029eb374.jpg

8a5730d167c9c112a9280438307c4a5b.jpg

41bb9cb41a2b5b8fd1f52c81fe86a088.jpg

At the front of the manual there is a table of torque values to be used when values aren't specified. For a 12mm nut and bolt that is 54Nm/40lbft:

4f93ec4b9681681eb4e1c9d881f10042.jpg

Still, this seems like a high torque value.

Just Googling around:

Gixxer sprocket nut torque: 43.5ft-lbs
Hayabusa sprocket nut torque: 43ft-lbs
CBR1000RR sprocket nut torque: 47ft-lbs

Here's the same thread on another forum, questioning the torque, screwing it up etc...

Rear sprocket nuts (torque value?) - SuperHawk Forum

Edit: And another one: (CBRXX)

Sprocket - Torque Values

Edit: One more: (FZ6)

Front and Rear sprocket torque specs?

So I dunno what to tell ya. Split the difference and go with 60ft-lbs with some blue loctite? 50?

I assume we're all tightening these bolts in a nice star pattern, gradually ratcheting each one up to spec.... right?

Couple other thoughts:
Another thing maybe worth doing is to chase the threads on the nuts and bolts with thread cutting tools + oil if the nuts don't come off cleanly.

If the Honda ape that normally tightens oil filters has been at it again, the initial torquing to the manual's spec may have actually weakened the metal such that the next time you torque it that high, snap.

Last edited:
Just had a look for my SV1000 which has a similar set up... 120Nm (87lbft). I had the sprocket off on the NC the other week. The nuts removed without drama, and likewise, torqued back up to 108Nm

"If the Honda ape that normally tightens oil filters has been at it again, the initial torquing to the manual's spec may have actually weakened the metal such that the next time you torque it that high, snap."

Not to derail the sprocket torque thread.......
The oil filter is very likely not over torqued from the factory.........but.........the gasket sticktion more or less sticks the filter in place after a few heat and cool cycles. This a common occurrence and not limited to the NC or Honda in general. The gasket sticks on many vehicle and the technician must be careful not to double gasket the filter if the gasket sticks to the block. Many of the new filters actually crimp the gasket to the filter to avoid the chance it sticks to the block.

"If the Honda ape that normally tightens oil filters has been at it again, the initial torquing to the manual's spec may have actually weakened the metal such that the next time you torque it that high, snap."

Not to derail the sprocket torque thread.......
The oil filter is very likely not over torqued from the factory.........but.........the gasket sticktion more or less sticks the filter in place after a few heat and cool cycles. This a common occurrence and not limited to the NC or Honda in general. The gasket sticks on many vehicle and the technician must be careful not to double gasket the filter if the gasket sticks to the block. Many of the new filters actually crimp the gasket to the filter to avoid the chance it sticks to the block.

Yeah I suspect it was put on dry without any oil on the gasket or threads. So it sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back