• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Old age and riding

I had a 82 year old take the ERC and he did better than a lot of 40 year olds. Most of the time I have a hard time with people that old just starting out, that have never ridden before.

Len Vale-Onslow road his bike about 2 weeks before he died.

The oldest rider still alive and riding from what I have read lately is a fellow in England, Reg Scott.

RegScott.jpg

The insurance underwriters say that folks over 65 have 2 1/2 times as many accidents as folks under 65. That is easy to explain, their just following me around.

when your young (teens and 20's), we always consider 50 was old.
Now, I'm 55 and I don't feel old. Now I consider 70 is old.

k

k

Well I'll be 70 in November and I do feel old at times and reactions are down a bit but when I get a leg over the X or Wing I feel 55 ... :) When I see Piet Boonstra riding a DL650 to Alaska at 79 I'm encouraged to try. Piet Boonstra is a endoro rider extraordinair (rode an 84 Wing up the Haul Road in the rain when DS riders, were on the shoulders,) and I was not as good as he was at 86, at 28 but he still rides at 86+. I liked all his books but "Keep Going" is special to us "old" folks. In 2011 at 86 in lots of pain he still managed to ride an 8+ hour day on his DL650. I hope he is still riding at 89 and his "Yes Push Yourself" echoes in my ears every day. I feel blessed to be alive at 70 and to still ride, it doesn't get much better than that.

k

My great grandmother was into her second century, she was in a home after she broke her hip, and never recovered well enough to be released from the home.

She used to complain about the punk kids in the nursing home... the 60-80 year old's who had dementia set in and were screaming about how they defecated on themselves.
Being just into my teens at the time I found it hard to consider 60-80 year old's punk kids... but they were 20-40 years younger than her, I was closer to my fathers age than she was to some of the folks in the nursing home... Gives some perspective on our preconceptions of old age, and youth.

My father is approaching 70, and is currently riding the blue ridge parkway with my mother on their gold wing.
He gave up his motorcycle before he married my mother (it was a Triumph Bonneville as I recall, and the most powerful production bike in the world as he tells the story, red) and bought a new bike a few years before he retired, also red, followed by the gold wing, also red. (Though I'm sure much like the '57 chevy he owned in "coral" i.e. pink, he'd have a different name for the color of each bike, but still can't tell the difference between the color of paint my mother wants to use in the bathroom)

Don't know if I'll still be riding when I'm 70... I'm fairly certain that self flying cars should be perfected by then, so fewer cages to contend with on the roads that are left at that point
;)

I rode in my early twenties, commuting from La Puente to Pasadena, CA, every weekday while attending seminary. Sold the bike in '74 and got busy with work and family. Didn't start riding again until I was almost 64, now approaching 66, so I hope I still have some good years ahead of me. It's so much fun!

Well I'm 70 and have put 17700 miles on "Singer" since I got her in 2013. The NC700X is a great machine and with a bit of luck I've got a few more years of riding. I promised my wife I would quit riding if I started doing stupid things. (while riding). Hopefully I will recognize when that is and have told some of my riding buddies to critique my riding when we finish a trip. So far so good. Meanwhile,having a blast!!!

Well I'm 70 and have put 17700 miles on "Singer" since I got her in 2013. The NC700X is a great machine and with a bit of luck I've got a few more years of riding. I promised my wife I would quit riding if I started doing stupid things. (while riding). Hopefully I will recognize when that is and have told some of my riding buddies to critique my riding when we finish a trip. So far so good. Meanwhile,having a blast!!!

I like reading statements like this and I wish you the best. I hope you've got another 10 years of riding ahead of you. I'm 49 and pray that I'm still riding at 70.

Back