• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

one thing I don't like about this bike - gearbox

I have put only 130 miles on my new-to-me 17K mile bike (manual tranny). I also sense more clunkiness than I expected; relieved to know it is not uncommon nor a potential serious problem brewing. Might be me/setup/etc. Has anyone found that different oil viscosity/composition had an impact? Thanks

Resurrected thread but I'll add, since last may when I posted about how clunky it is, I've learned my (or rather, it's) timing better. Now it's more like what 670cc says -smooth as butter.
First gear still chunks into place. I'm not worried as I was after riding with another couple of different bikes and hearing theirs also clunk into first.
It's the nature of the beasty!

Every bike out of 20+ I've owned, clunked going into 1st gear. Some a little clunk, some gigantic crunching bike shuddering clunks, but they all, to a one, did it. To a more or lesser degree, they randomly bike to bike, were smoother going into second on some and notchier on others.

It never bothered me, and never will. I've never had one gearbox failure in my life either, so I'm super willing to (IMHO) cheerfully chalk it up to "they all do that" lol.

Now regarding wildone's particular experiences, I'm wondering if there hasn't been either something a bit amiss with his bike's transmission or clutch/clutch cable right from the start? Didn't he post something just lately about having run out of cable adjustment and a vague unease about possibly his clutch maybe slipping?

Maybe there is zero connection betwixt the two subjects and it's utter coincidence, but it just caught my eye for a potential thought.

You should listen to my 2007 C50 Boulevard, CLUNK into 1st gear and clunk into 2nd gear, always has. The BMW F(G) 650gs single are really loud shifting to 1st and from 1st to 2nd-I can hear my buddy's F6650gs (single) from 50 yards away while riding (sometimes even while wearing my custom ear plugs).

Been awhile since anyone has commented on this, but what the heck. Changed oil less than 2 months ago, yet the shifting seems like the oil is old and it doesn't want to click into neutral. It jumps over it both ways to the point where I have to shut off the engine to get in neutral. Chain is slack, but how does that affect the shifting? Thanks in advance for suggestions. I use Rotella 15w-40 synthetic.

Could be a few things, the clutch doesn't seem to be disemgageing properly, the chain tension affect the gearbox by keeping any driveline slack in check to an extent. Is your rear wheel aligned? Rosella is good stuff I opted for a motorcycle specific oil (no oil thread kick off please) and my gearbox is seamless. Just a though that had helped me in the past, before you start pull the clutch in roll the bike in reverse a few feet, start it up it should slip right into 1st and back to neutral with no hesitation. What footwear do you use? does it give you a good position feel on the lever?

I realize that the NC, which I ride and love, is not a high end model.
To keep the bike in a more economical price range they have to compromise in certain areas.
If they would have put a smoother transmission in the bike they would have had to increase the price.
That may have effected sales.
I feel the transmission and suspension were the two main areas Honda compromised to keep the selling price down.
This enables more to afford the bike and those that do not like the suspension can upgrade.
As long as the clunk of the transmission is not a precursor to transmission problems I am okay with it.

I also ride a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx which is one of the expensive (by maybe $3-$4K) adventure style bikes and it has a very, very smooth clutch.
But, I paid a lot for that smoothness!
Ask my wife!!!

Since I ride with ear plugs in I do not mind the clunk because it reminds me I hit the gear.
Plus, I know the clunk is not hurting anything.
Besides, once I get on the bike and get going I remember the speeds/RPMs where shifting is smoothest and some of the clunk disappears.

Just some thoughts.

God bless!!

Michael

Every Honda I've ever owned has had a "clunky" transmission. I choose to describe the shifting as "very positive" in that you know when you've successfully engaged the next gear. :)

It's all in how you look at it, but it's completely normal however you choose to describe it.

Every Honda I've ever owned has had a "clunky" transmission. I choose to describe the shifting as "very positive" in that you know when you've successfully engaged the next gear. :)

It's all in how you look at it, but it's completely normal however you choose to describe it.
That's how I look at it, your getting a little confirmation that you've changed gears. Any chain driven Honda (and most other brand motorcycles) has a small clunk as long as it's not a precursor to a problem no big deal.

ah.
I do enjoy the revised "feel," of the transmission when the oil is newly changed.

I eliminate one "clunk into first," each day by consciously rolling my back backwards out the the garage and shifting into gear before hitting the starter. Clutch in, of course.

I do the same when leaving work. But because I have to exit a secured parking lot and have to fiddle with my pass I get one gut cringing clunk back into first anyway.

I'm not certain I can agree with $$ spend equates to smoothness…my Gold Wing, BMW and Harley all clunked into first to varying degrees.

I ease my "into first gear clunk," angst by spending more time riding in upper gears!
:)

Speaking strictly for manual transmissions, I just start the bike in first gear with the brake on and clutch in, let it warm up for maybe one or two seconds, and then drive away. I never start a bike in neutral, then shift to first, hence I never experience the clunk.

I've ridden over 200,000 miles. I've never known the oil brand or oil age to have any affect on the feel of the transmission. The smoothness is affected by the oil temperature, as well as how smoothly I operate it.

I think my NC has as smooth of a transmission as any of the others I've owned. No complaints at all.

Last edited:
Back