• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Oxford heated grips installed

InfernoST

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All
I ordered up, received and installed the Oxford touring EVO heated grips today, TBH i really didn't think they would make much of a difference but boy was I wrong they really keep your hands nice a toasty. So now between the hand guards and heated grips my commute will be immensely betterer. A few pics of the install, also installed the SAE plug for my battery tender. Didnt even have to cut the grips down.
20211204_142940.jpg20211204_142944.jpg20211204_142953.jpg

How much trouble did you have putting th he throttle side on? On my ST 1300 I had to finish installing the throttle side with a mallet. When I asked at my local shop if they would put them on for me they made faces like they bit into a lemon, and explained they usually had to install them with a mallet lol, so I said I'd take care of it myself, although I have been procrastinating because of my previous install.

How much trouble did you have putting th he throttle side on? On my ST 1300 I had to finish installing the throttle side with a mallet. When I asked at my local shop if they would put them on for me they made faces like they bit into a lemon, and explained they usually had to install them with a mallet lol, so I said I'd take care of it myself, although I have been procrastinating because of my previous install.
When I installed Oxfords (on two different Hondas, an NC and a CRF), I had to do careful trimming on the throttle tube to make it match the grip. No, I didn’t use a mallet, as one could easily crack the plastic throttle tube. Trimmed correctly, the grip fit the throttle tube with a nice friction fit. Now this was with the original cable operated throttle; I don’t know about the throttle by wire.

When I installed Oxfords (on two different Hondas, an NC and a CRF), I had to do careful trimming on the throttle tube to make it match the grip. No, I didn’t use a mallet, as one could easily crack the plastic throttle tube. Trimmed correctly, the grip fit the throttle tube with a nice friction fit. Now this was with the original cable operated throttle; I don’t know about the throttle by wire.
LOL when you've applied the glue and started the grip on and get 2/3 of the way on and won't go any further pushing it, and won't come back off .... it's mallet time! lol

Last edited:
LOL when you've applied the glue and started the grip on and get 2/3 of the way on and won't go any further pushing it, and won't come back off .... it's mallet time! lol
Maybe so, but I had no need for glue on the throttle side grip as it was a good friction fit on the throttle tube ribs.

I cut off all of the plastic find with a razor knife and did the same to reduce the bar end diameter then tapped it into place using the supplied glue. The clutch side i just used some dawn to lubricate the bar and tapped it into place with a mallet. Pretty easy install

I cut off all of the plastic find with a razor knife and did the same to reduce the bar end diameter then tapped it into place using the supplied glue. The clutch side i just used some dawn to lubricate the bar and tapped it into place with a mallet. Pretty easy install
"I cut off all of the plastic find with a razor knife"

What does this mean? What is a plastic find?

Tapped it into place with what?

ahh gotcha. Thanks for the translation. lol

Mine came in today's mail. Might be a few days before I get them on though.

Here are the Oxford Grips that we had the dealer install on my wife's 2021 NC750X a while ago. Pictures were taken in a dark garage with the bike at full lock turn to the left.
I included these pictures because the Ferret had asked.
We let the dealer decide where to install the control, left vs right. Dealer chose right, which means my wife doesn't have to take her hand off the throttle to operate the control if it were on the Left. Being mounted on the right, the left hand which has little to do on a DCT bike can easily reach over to the right to operate the control without disturbing the throttle hand.
Of course the left hand could just as easily reach the control if it were mounted on the left without disturbing the throttle hand, but mounting on the right seems to leave more room for the DCT parking brake on the left.

Oxford Grips installed on NC750X.jpg

Last edited:
That's an awkward strain on the wires coming out of the switch. Can you free up a little slack
Here are the Oxford Grips that we had the dealer install on my wife's 2021 NC750X a while ago. Pictures were taken in a dark garage with the bike at full lock turn to the left.
We let the dealer decide where to install the control, left vs right. Dealer chose right, which means my wife doesn't have to take her hand off the throttle to operate the control if it were on the Left. Being mounted on the right, the left hand which has little to do on a DCT bike can easily reach over to the right to operate the control without disturbing the throttle hand.
Of course the left hand could just as easily reach the control if it were mounted on the left without disturbing the throttle hand, but mounting on the right seems to leave more room for the DCT parking brake on the left.

View attachment 47531
That's an awkward bend and strain on the wires coming out of the switch. Can you free up some slack and ease the strain?

That's an awkward bend and strain on the wires coming out of the switch. Can you free up some slack and ease the strain?

I agree with dduelin on the wire strain. It also invites water into the wire sheath. I’d suggest reducing the angle of the switch mounting bracket to bring it more vertical. That would reduce to bend for the wire, and possibly even make the control buttons and LEDs easier to access.

That’s an interesting choice the dealer made on the switch location. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a heated grip control on the right grip. Reaching one hand across to the opposite side to operate a control would be a safety concern to me.

However, from the photo of the left grip, there isn’t much room for a control there on a DCT. On two out of three of my heated grip motocycles, I have the control mounted on the fairing, not the bars, so that is an option.

Last edited:
I had it mounted on the right on my ST 1300. It was never an issue. It's not like it's an emergency stop switch. You can wait until you come to a stop to turn it up, down or off.

nDHi6cSh.jpg

Hi All
I ordered up, received and installed the Oxford touring EVO heated grips today, TBH i really didn't think they would make much of a difference but boy was I wrong they really keep your hands nice a toasty. So now between the hand guards and heated grips my commute will be immensely betterer. A few pics of the install, also installed the SAE plug for my battery tender. Didnt even have to cut the grips down.
View attachment 47434View attachment 47435View attachment 47436
I must not ride enough in the cold. I got by last year in the 40s with just plain leather gloves. My legs always froze, but my hands were fine.

That's an awkward strain on the wires coming out of the switch. Can you free up a little slack

Thanks for the tip.
I'll see what I can do.
Good people like you look out for the well being of members.

I agree with dduelin on the wire strain. It also invites water into the wire sheath. I’d suggest reducing the angle of the switch mounting bracket to bring it more vertical. That would reduce to bend for the wire, and possibly even make the control buttons and LEDs easier to access.

That’s an interesting choice the dealer made on the switch location. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a heated grip control on the right grip. Reaching one hand across to the opposite side to operate a control would be a safety concern to me.

However, from the photo of the left grip, there isn’t much room for a control there on a DCT. On two out of three of my heated grip motocycles, I have the control mounted on the fairing, not the bars, so that is an option.
BMW mounts the heat switches (grip, seats) integral in the right switch pod where it's thumb-reachable like all the other switch gear. I like it there.

On previous NCs I mounted the switch in the left inside wall of the frunk more out of concern for the lack of weatherproofing evident in the switch than for ease of access. I could still reach it by feel while riding but not the most convenient. On this NC the previous owner mounted the auxiliary lighting switch above the right hand switch pod so I piggy-backed off of it. The switch is "kind of" thumb-reachable.

NC700X RH switch gear.jpg

so to dime myself off here haha, I too bought a set of oxford heated grips two years ago. :(

I reluctantly tossed them on the shelf of “yah I’ll get to them later” and they’ve been there two years. Well, with a couple of breaks we’ve had in our weather lately I could have been out on the bike for a few hours and it sure would hav even awfully nice to have had them on... so I guess I’ll stop putting it off and go install mine. Thanks for the great input from you’all.

Back