• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Painted Madstad

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been wanting to paint the lower portion and edge of the Madstad windshield on my bike to block the reflection of the headlight and to block the light that radiates from the top edge at night. I drilled 4 new mounting holes 4 CM higher than the stock holes before I started painting. I used Plasti-Dip Matte Black paint. It came out OK, I should have run a sharp blade along the edge of the blue tape I used to mask the shield. When I pulled the tape off it left a slightly ragged edge. I guess I was in a hurry to get it painted as I did not mask the entire inside of the shield and now have a tri-tone shield with solid black along the the bottom, clear around the middle and a smoked tint on the top section from over spray. I can redo it if I find it really objectionable.

image001.jpgimage002.jpgimage006.jpg

I also got around to grinding the underside of the winglets with a 4" stationary belt sander so they don't touch the body work. I highly recommend wearing a face mask if you do so.

image002.jpgimage003.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Yes, I hear with Plasti Dip you need to remove the masking tape immediately or it will pull the edge.

We have a number of members that have done these mods, including me. Lowering the screen and tinting the bottom are topics that need to be fed back to Madstad. Givi blackens the bottom of their NC700X screens. I wish Madstad would do it, too.

Madstad seems to have the improved the winglets. I bought mine in late 2014 as a retrofit and they fit with no interference.

Last edited:
I had the same light problem with my Madstad where it projected a line of light in the air a few inches above shield, right in my line of sight at night. I taped mine up and painted it with flat black Rustoleum paint but havent yet had it out after dark to see if the problem is solved.

Back