• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Perishable Skills

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There have been quite a few posts here lately that reminded me that riding skills, like every skill we learn, have a shelf life. I try to remain cognizant of this fact and practice certain skills routinely to keep them fresh (emergency braking, swerving, low speed drills, etc.) I also watch training videos from certain content producers I trust. I am thinking it might be a good idea to get some professional training. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has taken a course in or near Florida, that they have found to be beneficial. I'd also be intersted in hearing more about what some of you do to keep your skills fresh.

@670cc I thought there was a discussion in the past year or two to start a riding skills thread, or forum, whatever it is called. Is that something that might still be on the table? I know that those types of conversations can spiral downward quickly, but this is a mature and well moderated group so it would not be terrible to manage if it is something that is possible.

Riding courses are for NeWbS. Just put on you flip flops, shorts, and tank top and ride! If the cagers are in your way just pass on the shoulder or over a double yellow.

Sorry, had to!

I have no recent experience, but the rider course I took at what use to be Rossmeyers was good in 2010.

@670cc I thought there was a discussion in the past year or two to start a riding skills thread, or forum, whatever it is called. Is that something that might still be on the table? I know that those types of conversations can spiral downward quickly, but this is a mature and well moderated group so it would not be terrible to manage if it is something that is possible.
If you‘d like to propose that a new subforum be added, you could try sending a private message/conversation to “admin”.

Riding skills are definitely perishable. Some of those skills naturally decline with age due to eyesight, hearing, reflexes and courage degrading over time. There is a reason you don't see any 60 year old MotoGP riders. Nothing can be done about that, it's nature. There ARE riding skills though, that will also degrade if just not practiced enough.

I try and ride every day, in all conditions, to keep myself sharp. I'm not afraid of riding in the wind/rain/fog/snow flurries/heat/cold because I've done it a million times, and continue to do it on a daily basis. With animals/deer on the road, farm equipment and inattentive drivers I get plenty of chances to practice my emergency braking skills lol. Riding in poor atmospheric conditions sharpens your ability to choose lines, and practice throttle control and braking skills. One of the hardest skills to keep sharp, believe it or not, is a mental one... not following too close. Since we are so much faster than automobiles generally, we tend to ride too fast behind them and get too close, not leaving enough space for emergency avoidance maneuvers. This opens us up to all kinds of dangers, especially debris on the road. We tend to not think about a car being able to ride cleanly over things like dead animals, potholes and aluminum ladders in the road that will put us down. It cost a buddy of mine on a 650 Versys that was following a box truck too close on the freeway in Cleveland. When the car rim came spitting out from under the box truck, he had no time to react and hit it, putting him down at 70 mph. Busted him and his Suzuki up pretty bad. Ironic that he used to have a video on YouTube as to how to safely ride the Dragon in North Carolina/Tenn. He had skills, but he had a mental lapse re: tailgating, and it cost him.

Riding skills classes are good, as long as they are routinely practiced once you leave the class. Don't practice the skill for 6 months or a year and you might as well not have learned it in the first place. It must be automatic, without thought.

Ride more, fear less.

Last edited:
I think you can learn something from any class. Most people don't practice enough. In a class there is dedicated practice combined with personalized coaching. I have gotten something out of each one I have taken.

Riding skills are definitely perishable. Some of those skills naturally decline with age due to eyesight, hearing, reflexes and courage degrading over time. There is a reason you don't see any 60 year old MotoGP riders. Nothing can be done about that, it's nature. There ARE riding skills though, that will also degrade if just not practiced enough.

I try and ride every day, in all conditions, to keep myself sharp. I'm not afraid of riding in the wind/rain/fog/snow flurries/heat/cold because I've done it a million times, and continue to do it on a daily basis. With animals/deer on the road, farm equipment and inattentive drivers I get plenty of chances to practice my emergency braking skills lol. Riding in poor atmospheric conditions sharpens your ability to choose lines, and practice throttle control and braking skills. One of the hardest skills to keep sharp, believe it or not, is a mental one... not following too close. Since we are so much faster than automobiles generally, we tend to ride too fast behind them and get too close, not leaving enough space for emergency avoidance maneuvers. This opens us up to all kinds of dangers, especially debris on the road. We tend to not think about a car being able to ride cleanly over things like dead animals, potholes and aluminum ladders in the road that will put us down. It cost a buddy of mine on a 650 Versys that was following a box truck too close on the freeway in Cleveland. When the car rim came spitting out from under the box truck, he had no time to react and hit it, putting him down at 70 mph. Busted him and his Suzuki up pretty bad. Ironic that he used to have a video on YouTube as to how to safely ride the Dragon in North Carolina/Tenn. He had skills, but he had a mental lapse re: tailgating, and it cost him.

Riding skills classes are good, as long as they are routinely practiced once you leave the class. Don't practice the skill for 6 months or a year and you might as well not have learned it in the first place.

Ride more, fear less.
I am with you 100%. Motorcycling is much more mental than physical.

There is certainly no harm in taking rider training, but ultimately for most of us I think riding skills come down to where you live, and how you ride. Where I live its pretty flat and the roads aren’t very twisty. It’s easy for your skills to deteriorate. I’ve been to North Carolina numerous times, and it’s impossible not to develop good riding skills on their twisty roads, especially if you ride a sport bike with any gusto. I found the roads so twisty that after a long day of attacking bends, I almost wished I was riding a cruiser for the ride back to the motel. If I lived there I’d definitely own a sport bike and a cruiser.

I like to take a training course at least every couple of years. In a perfect world I'd take one every year, but it's not a perfect world (for me, anyway). I've been looking at the local training outfit's schedule just this evening, coincidentally.

There is certainly no harm in taking rider training, but ultimately for most of us I think riding skills come down to where you live, and how you ride. Where I live its pretty flat and the roads aren’t very twisty. It’s easy for your skills to deteriorate. I’ve been to North Carolina numerous times, and it’s impossible not to develop good riding skills on their twisty roads, especially if you ride a sport bike with any gusto. I found the roads so twisty that after a long day of attacking bends, I almost wished I was riding a cruiser for the ride back to the motel. If I lived there I’d definitely own a sport bike and a cruiser.
My mind doesn’t go to mountain road riding when I think of training courses like MSF / SMART or similar range courses. These are more for learning and relearning street riding survival tactics and strategies. Cornering is part of that of course but urban riders need training and refresher training in how to survive with dynamic lane positioning, development of foresight, swerving and braking techniques.

I like to take a training course at least every couple of years. In a perfect world I'd take one every year, but it's not a perfect world (for me, anyway). I've been looking at the local training outfit's schedule just this evening, coincidentally.
In many states taking a training course every 3 years helps with insurance discounts

There is certainly no harm in taking rider training, but ultimately for most of us I think riding skills come down to where you live, and how you ride. Where I live it’s pretty flat and the roads aren’t very twisty. It’s easy for your skills to deteriorate. I’ve been to North Carolina numerous times, and it’s impossible not to develop good riding skills on their twisty roads, especially if you ride a sport bike with any gusto. I found the roads so twisty that after a long day of attacking bends, I almost wished I was riding a cruiser for the ride back to the motel. If I lived there I’d definitely own a sport bike and a cruiser.
That makes a lot of sense. I do try to seek out curvier roads for training days. But like you, we have many straight roads here. That said, I’m most interested in emergency strategies and low speed stuff. I’ll go fast from time to time but generally ride tamely.

My mind doesn’t go to mountain road riding when I think of training courses like MSF / SMART or similar range courses. These are more for learning and relearning street riding survival tactics and strategies. Cornering is part of that of course but urban riders need training and refresher training in how to survive with dynamic lane positioning, development of foresight, swerving and braking techniques.
In my youth I spent 4 years riding a motorcycle in a large city every day as part of my employment. Probably the most dangerous thing I’ve done on a daily basis. There was rarely a day that I wasn’t subject to a near collision due to some idiot. It was a good training ground, and what with additional training that I underwent, very valuable In acquiring safety skills.

I now live in a small town, and it takes me a matter of minutes to get into the country, and ride basically straight roads. Not an environment for developing many riding skills if you’re learning. I don’t disagree that taking a riding safety course is very beneficial when you’re inexperienced, and a refresher course can‘t hurt, especially if you live in an area like I do, where skills can deteriorate.

Over here we aren't allowed on the road without doing a course and then we have to pass a test. Many people take lessons up until their test.
I'm interested in how many of you in the states went through a similar training period and how many just got on the bike and went for it. I believe you have an MSF. Is it mandatory?
The Initial basic training really hammered in the basic safety skills needed including positioning, slow speed control in traffic, life savers etc. That and the twisty roads we have sets you up and if you are riding all year round you tend not to get rusty. There are also advanced riding courses and police courses you can take. I also know I can nip down to my local training centre and go round th course and chat to the instructors for tips etc. They will also do a days refresher course if needs be.

When I started street riding (1965) there were no safety courses or driving tests for motorcycles. Your auto driver's license was needed. It wasn't until Jan 1, 1968 that a test for a motorcycle became mandatory, but I already had my auto driver's license, and had been riding for three years, so I rode to the DMV on Jan 2, but they didn't have the course set up because it was winter, but since I had ridden there, they agreed to give me my mc endorsement so that I would be legal riding home, so I have never had to take the test. My wife didn't start riding until the late 1970's, by then the MSF started giving classes, so she took a MSF course and the test at the end of the class in order to get her license.

Over here we aren't allowed on the road without doing a course and then we have to pass a test. Many people take lessons up until their test.
I'm interested in how many of you in the states went through a similar training period and how many just got on the bike and went for it. I believe you have an MSF. Is it mandatory?
The Initial basic training really hammered in the basic safety skills needed including positioning, slow speed control in traffic, life savers etc. That and the twisty roads we have sets you up and if you are riding all year round you tend not to get rusty. There are also advanced riding courses and police courses you can take. I also know I can nip down to my local training centre and go round th course and chat to the instructors for tips etc. They will also do a days refresher course if needs be.
So the USA has different laws by state. My answer may not be the same as someone on the east or west coast but I believe the requirements for the Midwest are broadly the same.

I did go through the training course and went through the level 2 course as well. It consists basically of low speed parking lot maneuvers and classroom time for the initial class. It isn’t mandatory but it’s much easier to pass the test this way. You take the final test on a class provided motorcycle and in front of sympathetic instructors. Once passed you get a skills waiver which allows you to get your endorsement. Otherwise you will have to pass the test in front of the state police/highway patrol.

You are lucky to have so many training options. In my area we’re limited to slow speed courses through MSF, off-road training or race track training. Not very much focused on mid level riding

Back