• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Pics of My Killer Dolphin Version 1.1

vodapas

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello my fellow NC'ers. I haven't been on the forums, let alone posted. But, I cleaned up my KD today and I thought I'd snap a few pics of her before I headed out to get her all dirty and bug splatted again. I figured I should post said pics since I haven't shared any since I finished making quite a few changes. I'm also including a pic from a couple years ago for the before and after. (You can find more pics of the before here.) I doubt I have any mods that most of the members on here won't recognize, but if you have any questions about something I've added just let me know. Enjoy!

Before:

attachment.php

After:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looking good !

Your motorcycle looks like it could be in a showroom....any tips on how you keep it so nice looking?
Some secret magic spay cleaner hopefully and not a lot of elbow grease would be nice ;-)

TIA

Thank you! I wish I could give you some sage Jedi-like advice, but alas I have none. Pretty much two major factors: garage kept and me not taking her out riding half as much as I should. I really need to work on that second one!

Wanderer - I love the Outbacks. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the top case just because it's so tall for its width, but it has to be that way or you'd never get the saddle bags open. Anyhow, I have had no issues with the quality. They are well made and the install was pretty simple. Only major issue I have is I don't like that Givi doesn't offer a metal rear rack to put the top box on and since the system that mounts the side boxes is exclusive to Givi you have to use their mounting hardware and thus end up with the weird looking (IMO) plastic racks. But, I worked around that problem and put an Altrider BMW F800GS rack on. BTW, I still have the plastic Givi rack laying around if you end up needing one.

jayceegee - Thank you and you have good choice in seating. I too find it to be a very pleasant seat on long rides. Although that leather doesn't offer much grip if you where textile riding pants!

Vodapas, where did you get the back rest on the Givi topbox and how much, if I may ask.

That's actually a combination of the two different back rests Givi makes for the Outbacks. The top portion is from the one for the 42 liter box and the bottom is from the one designed for the 58 liter box. You can probably guess where the bottom portion for the 42 liter went. It's now my butt pad on the front of my HONDAPRO pillion rack. I ended up having to cut my rack to make it fit with the Corbin seat and it left a pretty unsightly gap between the seat and the front of the rack. So, I ordered the Givi 58 liter back rest set to fill the gap and to give my butt a little padding. But, it turned out the bottom pad for the 42 liter kit was a more perfect fit there and I liked the look of the bottom pad from the 58 liter kit on my top box better.

But I digress, I can't remember how much it cost, but I ordered the 42 liter backrest kit long ago from motostorm.it and I ordered it from them specifically because it wasn't outrageously priced. But, I am getting ready to move so I was worried about shipping times so when I ordered the 58 liter kit I paid $85 to get it from Amazon so I could get it here in two days. Two pieces of molded foam for $85 was a bit hard to swallow even for me. :/

Wanderer - I love the Outbacks. I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the top case just because it's so tall for its width, but it has to be that way or you'd never get the saddle bags open. Anyhow, I have had no issues with the quality. They are well made and the install was pretty simple. Only major issue I have is I don't like that Givi doesn't offer a metal rear rack to put the top box on and since the system that mounts the side boxes is exclusive to Givi you have to use their mounting hardware and thus end up with the weird looking (IMO) plastic racks. But, I worked around that problem and put an Altrider BMW F800GS rack on. BTW, I still have the plastic Givi rack laying around if you end up needing one.

jayceegee - Thank you and you have good choice in seating. I too find it to be a very pleasant seat on long rides. Although that leather doesn't offer much grip if you where textile riding pants!

Thanks for the feedback. I've had the E55 for awhile, so I already have the mounting plate. Does the 58 liter interfere with opening the side cases?

Does the 58 liter interfere with opening the side cases?

As posted, the 58 liter is too wide and will prevent the side cases from opening. The Givi mounts place the Trekker Outbacks about 17.5 inches apart, which means you can only use the 42 liter top case (16+ inches wide). The width restriction of about 17 inches between side case lids is why the 42 liter top case is so tall relative to its width.

The 58 liter top case is gigantic and almost 22 inches wide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I've had the E55 for awhile, so I already have the mounting plate. Does the 58 liter interfere with opening the side cases?

Just to tag on to what ld_rider said, he's exactly right the 58 liter is a behemoth. So when installed on the NC (and many other bikes) the side case lids can't swing up to open because they run into the bottom to the top case. However, if someone really has their heart set on the 58 liter they can run the Outback side cases. They would just have to remove the cables that support the lids when open and then commit to removing the top of the side case completely whenever they want to access it, like the older Touratech cases.

I honestly don't know why Givi went so crazy with the size of the 58 liter top case. Don't get me wrong, it's impressive looking and great capacity. But, the only bikes I can think of that can run it without interfering with the side cases are the R1200GS and maybe the KTM Adventures. Pretty sure the big Tiger and Super Tenere can't run it without conflict either.

You might also want to look at SW-Motech's new-ish Trax Evo setup as well. Very similar to the the Outbacks. If I was buying today I might have very well gone that direction.

I honestly don't know why Givi went so crazy with the size of the 58 liter top case. Don't get me wrong, it's impressive looking and great capacity. But, the only bikes I can think of that can run it without interfering with the side cases are the R1200GS and maybe the KTM Adventures. Pretty sure the big Tiger and Super Tenere can't run it without conflict either.

I pulled the trigger on the 58 liter. I figure I'll just have to unpack a bit if I need something out of the side cases.

I pulled the trigger on the 58 liter. I figure I'll just have to unpack a bit if I need something out of the side cases.

Congrats! I'm sure you'll make it work. With that beast you can pack all the essentials in the top case and then things you don't need as often in the side cases. Plus like I said, if you detach the retention straps you can just pop the lid off the side cases without needing to remove the top case.

if you detach the retention straps you can just pop the lid off the side cases without needing to remove the top case.

I was going to order the 58 liter but when I centered a 22 inch metal level across the top box mounting rack I couldn't get the covers off of the panniers. They unlatched ok, but when I tried to lift them clear of the lip that they nest in, they hit the level.

Now, that was using a level, not an actual top box, was too chicken to order the 58 and got the 42 instead. Glad to see we have a beta tester to see if it works ;-)

I was going to order the 58 liter but when I centered a 22 inch metal level across the top box mounting rack I couldn't get the covers off of the panniers. They unlatched ok, but when I tried to lift them clear of the lip that they nest in, they hit the level.

Now, that was using a level, not an actual top box, was too chicken to order the 58 and got the 42 instead. Glad to see we have a beta tester to see if it works ;-)

For real? That's crazy! Nothing like a little shade tree R&D. When I was test fitting to see if the Altrider rack would fit with my HONDAPRO rack I cut a rough outline out of cardboard and taped it to the Givi rack. Haha.

What size are the side bags 37 or 48? Looks sharp! I ordered the 37, but I am keeping the oem top box. Will there be a problem with that set up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I was eyeballing vodapas's boxes and it looks like it would be awfully close to clashing just installing the top box with the side case lids closed. I think I have an extra 1/2-inch with the Givi rear plate. If that doesn't work, I'll and some spacers or figure out something.

What size are the side bags 37 or 48? Looks sharp! I ordered the 37, but I am keeping the oem top box. Will there be a problem with that set up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! Those are the 37's. I'm trying to remember but I'm drawing a blank as to whether there will be any conflict with the OEM top box. I think you'll be fine but it's been a while since I had a Honda top box mounted up. Someone who actually has that set up could definitely provide better info. I'll grab you some measurements and see if I can't find an aft measurement point that you can use to gauge how far forward the front of the OEM top box sits in relation to where the back of the Outback side cases end.

UPDATE: I did some rough measurements. As ld_rider stated it's about 17.5" from the inside of one Outback side case to the other. With the 42 liter top box that leaves a scant .75" gap of clearance between the lid of the side case and the side of the top box. It runs in my memory that the OEM top box was wider than my Outback is. Which means how far forward it sits will be critical. The Outback side cases lid back edge is roughly even with the widest part of the rear fender (think the area directly forward of license plate). As I'm pretty sure the front of the OEM top box sits well forward of that point I fear you probably will see some conflict trying to run the Outbacks with your OEM top box. But, there's a chance that since that box is so much more curved it might just clear. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back