• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Power for GPS.

there was nothing wrong with your text...

I don't know what voltage the gps takes... the sae connector I have turns that into whatever standard USB puts out, and I plug the gps right into that.
I suppose what I'm looking for is a black wire (ground) and a red wire (hot) to connect the two leads from the SAE. Ideally, that circuit would be OFF when the key was turned off...
and that's about as much as I understand about wriring....

I suppose I could connect the "hot" wire to the wire that run's the headlight...since the headlight is ON only when the key is on.... I just don't know how to get to that wire without screwing up my headlight.

until then... I just have to be careful... and remember to unplug the gps from the SAE connector every time I stop.

Last edited:
Hope this post brings this very old thread to the top. I have a question. Phil you posted: "There is switched 12V power near the battery. Just use one of the white and blue wires and tap carefully".
Where exactly is this wire located? If you are referring to the little red 4 wire data link connector I am not sure that is a good place. I took a voltage reading on the pin that goes positive when the key is on but the voltage is different than the battery voltage indicating it is not a direct connection. Is this the connector you were referring to or is that wire elsewhere?

Hope this post brings this very old thread to the top. I have a question. Phil you posted: "There is switched 12V power near the battery. Just use one of the white and blue wires and tap carefully".
Where exactly is this wire located? If you are referring to the little red 4 wire data link connector I am not sure that is a good place. I took a voltage reading on the pin that goes positive when the key is on but the voltage is different than the battery voltage indicating it is not a direct connection. Is this the connector you were referring to or is that wire elsewhere?

You can buy the accessory harness for pretty cheap. It comes with a relay for switched power. It plugs right into a connector on the bike main harness and gives you 2 or 3 switched 12v connections and some constant powered ones. Easiest way to go in my opinion. Plug and play. The harness is the one they say you need to buy to connect the Honda heated grips and accessory lights.

JT

Back