• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PowerMadd hand guards installed (DCT friendly)

Cagedodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I spent a little time with my new XD being the second day and all. I installed the centerstand (straight forward and probably already covered in detail elsewhere) with no difficulties. I then took a look at a set of PowerMadd Star series hand guards that I had bought for another bike which never worked out due to a tapered handle bar design. I had all the parts on hand so it was just a matter of seeing if I could get it to work on this bike.

Turns out it's a pretty good fit, which is good 'cause it frees up money to spend elsewhere.

There's a number of color combinations that you can choose from as seen on their product page.

I used the following parts:
PM14210 Black / Black: $35
PM14252 ATV & Off Road Motorcycle $30
14240 Handguard Extension (Black) $10

If you want extra rigidity, you could get the hand wrap kit for an extra $45 but with the PM14252 mount kit, I'm not sure it's necessary.

To install these you have to move the brake and mirror pod inboard by 1/2" on the throttle side and the clutch or parking brake pod inboard by 1/2" on the other side. It's pretty straight forward. You have to drill additional alignment holes if your version needs it (not sure with the manual NC). Measure twice; centerpunch, pilot drill and final drill once.

Pardon the clutter in my garage, we're in the middle of trying to get rid of some excess stuff such as the dresser you see in one of the pics.

This is a pic of them installed with the extensions attached. This should block a lot of wind for the colder months:
IMG_20130106_213046.jpg

Here's a picture showing the clearance between the hand guard and the brake lever:
IMG_20130106_213521.jpg

This is an overhead view of the right side to show clearance:
IMG_20130106_212604.jpg

This is an overhead view of the left side to show clearance:
IMG_20130106_212614.jpg

This is what the guard looks like with the extension removed (Spring/Summer configuration):
IMG_20130106_212835.jpg

The only addition I made to the hardware that came with it was adding some washers so that the bolt didn't eat into the plastic on the hand guards:
IMG_20130106_215551.jpg

I'm no sure if the manual has the same alignment hole in the handlebars as the parking brake/mirror cluster on the DCT version, but here's a shot of where I marked the new left edge of the parking brake cluster with a white grease pen so I would know where to drill the new alignment hole:
IMG_20130106_205521.jpg

I drilled a new hole the same size as the original in the handlebars about 6mm inboard which acts as the new cluster mount. I didn't think to get a picture of this. If you go this route, you should measure and mark it yourself instead of trying to replicate what you see in my crumby pictures. :p

This just *barely* misses the OEM wind screen lock to lock. There is quite a bit of adjustment to them having about 4 different mounting options to choose from. I suspect when I put a larger shield on that I'll have to make an adjustment here.
Once I get a set of heated grips on this puppy, my hands will be taken care of.

I'll test ride it tomorrow to work, most likely.

Hope this helps someone else looking for other hand guard options.

The initial results are pretty good. The mount is close to the guards themselves so there's not any shaking or instability that's noticable. It does take a majority of the wind off my hands so mission accomplished!

What is the purpose of those holes you had to drill? I've put lots of bark-buster kits on various dirt bikes over the years and I've never had to drill holes in the bars. Is it just to keep the guards from rotating at the bar? I'm a bit jealous of the hand guard selection you X guys have, there is next to nothing for the S bikes.

I've tried the Tri-Mounts before and wasn't crazy about them. They allowed too much vibration. This mount system is a lot more solid.

The gauge clusters have a peg in the back to keep them from rotating. Since I moved the clusters inboard, I had to make a new hole for the indexing pin.

I think it's about time to snap the larger guards back into place. I've just used the open base all summer to keep rocks and bugs off my knuckles. I'm still pretty happy with them.

Back