• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Questions for Puig Touring Windscreen owners

Gibsito

Reaction score
Visit site
After reading lots about windscreens I'm zeroing in on the Puig. My best guess is that it will work for me, at 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I used to be 5'8" but "old" happened, I guess.

What is your opinion of this screen? Are you experiencing any turbulence (enough to be bothersome)? Please include your height and inseam, whether you have it mounted low or high, and any other pertinent info you think I should know.

Thank you....

I too thought the puig would be great. I'm 5'8". It is as noisy as my zero gravity. too narrow. I'm going to madstad next

I am 5'10" and have mine in the highest position. I love it. I can talk on my Sena headset now with my helmet shield up on 35 mph road and with the shield down on 55-65 mph roads. I was using the stock short screen before. I need to experiment with the lower position simply because the handlebars hit the screen now when I am backing into a spot or making low speed turns. I think if it was lower it would clear it a bit better.

Edit 5'10" with 34" inseam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6'2" - mine is mounted in the high holes and has an adjustable visor. I like it, but not as much as I liked the MadStad.
I have learned what "clean air" is an like it in the summer.
My Puig gives clean air without the visor. I'm thinking at 5'7" you would be good. I don't think the Puig offers any better wind protection than the Honda touring shield.
I do think the Puig looks way better.
Side buffeting...there's nothing you can do about it on this bike as far as I know.

I'm 5'8" as well and tried that screen. I have AGV AX-8 Evo and it vibrated the beak so bad at highway speeds it would blur my vision. The choice was a new helmet or s screen. The $400 helmet won.

I'm 5"9 with a 30" inseam, got the Puig mainly to reduce the cold blast of air during the winter and it does a much better job than the stock short screen. Just be aware that any thing not the size of a barn door will leave you feeling some amount of wind and buffeting.

I have the Puig Touring screen and though it was a lot better than the stock worthless screen, it was lacking in many areas. I am 5-9 with a 30" inseam. the air blast from the Puig forced me to use earplugs, ALL THE TIME. The wind blasted directly into my face.
So I made an extension from polycarbonate sheet (Home Depot) and bolted it to the Puig. It measures 9 3/4" tall with an 1 1/2" overlap on the Puig, and 9 3/4" wide. It is bolted to the Puig with 2 ss bolts with nylock nuts. There are 6- 1/8" thick silicon spaces to keep the 2 sections from chaffing each other. the black electrical tape is temporary and functions to prevent bugs and things from jamming up between the 2 parts.
The noise and buffeting has dropped dramatically and I can now ride up to 50 mph with my visor open which was impossible before. I still easily look over the top and after a few minutes the added section simply becomes invisible and not noticeable any more. While the weather here in SoCal is hot, this combinations is totally acceptable even up to 80 mph but still requires earplugs for me.

Attachments

• 20150902_195700.jpg
    20150902_195700.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 513
I'm 5"9 with a 30" inseam. Pretty much what everyone esle said. I started with the Honda Touring. Didn't work for me. Then to the Puig. Not much better. Added the Puig visor and not it is bareable. The screen made contact with something (cables or handgaurds) at full lock when parking. Fixed that with Rox Risers. I'm to lazy to chnage again or I'd go with the Madstat. They seem to provide the best coverage.

Thanks for all the replies. After reading them, as well as many other reviews on vendor sites (many loving it, many hating it), I decided to give it a shot. And now I fall firmly in the same camp as those who hate it. As several others said, it directs the wind directly at my helmet, and the noise is unbearable. That's in the highest position. If I duck down 3 or 4 inches it's fine, but of course I'm not going to live with that. About the only positive thing I can say is it got the wind off my chest and neck where the postage stamp screen directed it. I really can't understand how this could work for anyone tall enough to ride this motorcycle.

I could return it and try something else. The Honda tall touring screen is nearly the same height as the Puig, so I doubt that would work either. A Madstad might do it, but I don't want to spend that much on a windshield. An extension seems to be a reasonable alternative. But I don't want to spend a fortune on one of those either. Might as well have bought a Madstad to begin with if I do that.

So I'm thinking about going down the same road as BerndM with a DIY extension. But instead of buying a piece of polycarbonate I might just use the original Honda windshield for that. The idea would be to simply bolt it to the Puig. I admit, just holding it up there it looks a little strange. But not all bad. It might grow on me. Having the Honda emblem up there as well as the protruding sides, which sort of match the lower, wider protruding sides of the Puig, definitely looks "unique." The other option would be to cut off the top portion of the original windshield and use that as the extension, but not sure I like that idea. Either way, I'd like to make it adjustable so it could slide up or down. Considering how to do that now.

Not 100% sold on this idea yet, but I am leaning in that direction. Hmmmm.....

Edit: Just a curious observation - I don't have any issues with the Puig screen contacting anything at full lock, either left or right. Wonder if they narrowed it a bit?

Hey Gibsito
I had actually considered using my OEM Honda "windscreen" for the extension but decided against it for 2 reasons. (1) I still had some leftover of the $20 24"x24" polycarbonate sheet for the extension and (2) I didn't want to screw up the OEM thinking I could sell it for a few bucks down the road.
As far as it looking a bit weird...yeah it sort of does but it is quite surprising how many people don't even see it because it is so very clear.
I am quite happy with it even though I still need earplugs, but at least the blast to the face is gone and the buffeting is greatly cut down.
Not a bad result for less than $10 bucks.
:p

BerndM, do you have a pic of what you did you would put up?

The adjustable visor works good because it is not just an extension. It is up off the shield and creates a vacuum that moves a LOT of air up and over my 6'2" frame. Well worth the money and still $70 less than the MadStad. $70 = another farkle in my book.
The MadStad is the best bang for the buck though.

If I were to do it again, I would keep the Honda touring screen and just get the Puig visor. $122 delivered. Same effect.
I really like how the dark Puig looks on my NC . That's why I kept it and sold the Honda screen.

Last edited:
Hey itlives
Look at post # 8 on page one of this thread/

That thing looks HUGE in the picture. I know, the camera adds 10 pounds to everything.
I like the visor and it works - for me.
BTW- I always wear ear plugs. Even on my scooter which had a freaking barn door for a windscreen.

I bought one withe the "lip" form a forum mbr here. I was concerned about noise / buffeting also. the PO had a 1" diameter hole placed at the lower center of the shield. I just completed a 600 mile day on sunday, 3/4 of it on interstate at 75-85mph. I had the face shield on my full face up the whole way. I had a little bit of eyebrow flutter, which if I listened to my wife and trimmed them, would not be an issue:cool: I've had experience with strategically placed holes improving noise and buffeting issues on other bikes also. BTW, I'm 5'7" with a 30" windscreen. Hope this helps, and if you go this route, that you're as happy with it as I am.

Yes the picture makes it look really huge, as you say, but in reality from a bit more distance, it's not bad.
As I mentioned, the extension is so clear that it is practically invisible to most casual observers.

Thanks for all the input, and sorry for the late reply. I've been away on a bike tour (the pedaling kind) and just finished that up. Still won't be home for another week or so to start dealing with this.

BerndM - good point about possibly selling the original screen. Mine's scratched some (by the original owner) so not sure that it would be worth much anyway. But the more I think about this, the less I like the idea of just bolting the original screen to the Puig. I held it up there again just before leaving on my trip and decided it looked a little too strange.

I don't know - I may opt for the inexpensive polycarbonate extension (DIY), or just suck it up and buy the Puig visor as itlives suggested. It's not like I don't have the money - it's more that I hate spending it when I can get the same effect on a cheap DIY project. But sometimes those projects end up being more expensive than just biting the bullet in the beginning. Ha.

5' 11" 30" inseam (tall in the body) My helmet is in the windstream (where I want it) and wind only hits my shoulders (I wear a 46 jacket). No buffeting.

I will put the small screen back on for the summer I think.

I don't know - I may opt for the inexpensive polycarbonate extension (DIY), or just suck it up and buy the Puig visor as itlives suggested. It's not like I don't have the money - it's more that I hate spending it when I can get the same effect on a cheap DIY project. But sometimes those projects end up being more expensive than just biting the bullet in the beginning. Ha.

I bought the Puig visor for one reason. I'm OCD and I like things to match. I have the light smoke color Puig windscreen so I bought the light smoke colored visor. If you have clear that won't really matter. I bought the clip on version too so that I did not have to drill holes in case I wanted to remove it down the road. In the end, it's your money and who really cares about how the bike looks as long as your happy.

Back