• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rear scooter tire won't pop

sumo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had this tire on the rim twice and off again now. Once on the rim I should be able to add air and it should 'pop'. All went well on the front tire but the air comes out faster than I can put it in with my small home compressor. I also tried with a ratchet strap. I took it to the garage and they tried, tried again with a strap and tried again with a blast of 'ether'. No go.

I saw this on youtube so am giving it a try. I'm going to leave like this for a few days, then try again.

tire.jpg

Put a rachet strap around the tire and tighten the rachet strap, that works most times.

[video=youtube;D8MFXZr36hs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8MFXZr36hs[/video]

If the rachet strap does not work, the tire shop should have an air tank bead blaster. That works almost all times.

[video=youtube;TniM_CyJxiI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TniM_CyJxiI[/video]

However, once one the young techs that worked for me had pulled so strong that he broke the steel in the bead of the tire. All I could do then was kiss the tire go bye!

Last edited:
"Small air compressor" might be the key to your problem (but that doesn't explain why a shop gave up on it). The only two variables are more air or less leakage. Less leakage means less gap. I assume that it is the right size tire and you have the tire valve removed from the valve stem. To get more airflow, you can fill a portable air storage tank from your small compressor and then deliver it quickly to the tire. I made up a hose with a clamp-on chuck on one end and a ball valve on the other. I hook it up to the storage tank and open the ball valve. Be prepared to shut off the valve after you hear the second "pop" because the third one is REALLY LOUD! I have had luck by placing the wheel on its side and closing off the gap between the top bead and the wheel with hose or tubing cut to the length of the bead circumference. When the bead seats, it ejects the tubing.

I have a bead blaster like OCR shows, but I have never had to use it on a motorcycle tire.

You better go to the nearest gas station there would be a better air flow and it will do the job...a small compressor will rarely do the job for a brand new tire.

Beemerphile recommend No-Mar one time, so I bought a can. I can say that it works very well and is worth every penny. No problems getting the tire seated up. That stuff is slicker than snot!
Edit.. Didn't see the small compressor part, but having a can wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Ditto on the No-Mar tire mounting paste. If the bead can't easily slide up out of the well on up against the rim, it might just sit there laughing at you. Make sure the tire bead is lubed with proper tire lubricant. I don't recommend detergent or soap.

I seat mine with a relatively inexpensive 10 gallon portable air tank pumped to max 125 psi. Mind you I don't put 125 psi in the tire, that's just what's in the tank. I never go over 40 psi in the tire to seat it. So even a small compressor can do the job if you have a decent tank with some air volume. I have done a 12 inch scooter tire from our Reflex. They are harder to do than the NC's tires.

Last edited:
Ditto on the No-Mar tire mounting paste. If the bead can't easily slide up out of the well on up against the rim, it might just sit there laughing at you. Make sure the tire bead is lubed with proper tire lubricant. I don't recommend detergent or soap...

I googled 'bead lube' and came up with this brand 'Tire-Slick' available at my local Princess Auto store, I can only find the No-Mar brand online.

16 oz Bead Lube | Princess Auto

I'll try it.

Dish washing detergent with a little water in it works well also. Are you mounting it with the valve core in the stem or without? I have used the ratchet and no valve core to seat the tire and then put he core in to hold the air once seated. A large output compressor really helps.

If not already, keep inside to warm it up; assume it is still chilly there. Every little bit helps.

Yes we're in a bit of a cold snap, just waiting for the weather to turn. I'll put the tire out in the sun to warm up.

Hair dryer can be used to warm up the tire. The idea of using a liquid dishwashing soap does help sometimes. Dishwashing soap will also kill bees if you have a hive move in.

I've had good luck with a pancake compressor by removing the valve core from the stem. Freeing up the obstruction flows more air into the tire allowing it to pop. Then just thread the core back in and inflate as normal.

Back