• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recommendation for Sturdy Soft Bag for Honda OEM Rack

PortlandZinMan

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As you may have been following my adventures in the purchase and installation of a set of Honda OEM saddlebags, you may already know that I took everyone's advice and added the carrier rack to the project. I have no desire to add the OEM top-box the system - just too big.

However, I wouldn't mind having the option of strapping a small bag to the rack for extra weekend trip storage. My challenge is to find a good one among the 1000's of choices there are out there. So, like always, I'll go to the experts here with experience in this kind of thing - any recommendations? My main requirements are that it is durable, easy to strap down and conforms to the size and shape of the rack as close as possible. I don't want to mess with a lot of overhang. Something the size of a Igloo 6 pack carrier (Which I am considering as well).

IMG_5338.jpg

These Rally Packs are over 10 years old and on my 3rd bike via Givi frame for the NC.
There are 2, 2" velcro straps going over and under the passenger seat.

Attachments

• P3312516.jpg
    P3312516.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 376
  • P3312524.jpg
    P3312524.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 363
  • P3312523.jpg
    P3312523.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 366
If you are just wanting a small soft bag for a top box, you can get a child's backpack: soft, durable, inexpensive, hold as much as an Igloo 6 pack cooler.

I have a Wolfman Ridgeline which I picked up on a close-out sale. That being said, it's top notch and I would recommend their products even though they're not exactly cheap at regular prices! Their tail bags should meet your streamlined requirement! I plan on getting the Alu-Rack this year and adding the soft bag plate for it. I figure this will give me a place to put my bag while leaving the passenger seat available, and should I decide to go for additional luggage down the road then SW-M have top plates and side options for all of the main players.

2016-10-07-17.49.03-web.jpg

I looked at a lot of bags, from Nelson Rigg, Coretech, Touratech, Viking, Iron Rider, Kriega, MotoCentric, Firstgear, Ortlieb, Fastrax, Saddlemen etc. There are a lot of options out there, you just have to find the bag that ticks all of your requirement boxes! Also, Rok straps will be your new best friend, don't go the bungee route! My bag has the tethers in the bottom to attach it to the bike/rack, but I still prefer the Rok straps! I also have an expandable cargo net that I leave in the bottom of the frunk at all times. This gives me additional storage options in case the Wolfman doesn't expand enough, or in case I'm out without the bag and come upon a need to put something back there.

I forget: Will the smaller CB500X tail box latch on to the NCX carrier plate? Or alternatively: Is there a decent source for the smaller Euro-market tail box for the NCX?

I forget: Will the smaller CB500X tail box latch on to the NCX carrier plate? Or alternatively: Is there a decent source for the smaller Euro-market tail box for the NCX?

Great question - the NC box is just too big... I am also interested in this answer!

(later: after a bit of looking at photos of the carrier racks for the two bikes, I am guessing the answer in no - they are quite different)

Last edited:
OK - as promised, I am posting on the tail bag I settled on. The Oxford 1 First Time Tailpack. There are bigger ones out there, but this was the best of all worlds. Here is what I really liked about this one:

1. It is small enough not to be imposing. It allows fueling without moving the bag,
2. It is easy to install and remove. On trips, you can unzip the back from the pad that is mounted to the carrier - then just zip it back on the next morning.
3. It is a great size. The photos below show it in its smallest footprint, but when expanded, it gets taller and will easily hold 4 rolls of papertowels (vertically) and still have room to spare.
4. It is made of solid materials that keep it firm when not fully loaded,
5. Comes with a rain cover.
6. Comes with several color options for the trim - Of course, I installed red - the others are shown in the photo. Clever.
7. Comes with several bungee cords for mounting an almost any carrier or rear seat.
8. Has 3 sealed side pockets for quick access to small items.
9. Cost. I got this for $50. Search Amazon for: Oxford OL436 Black 1st Time Motorcycle Luggage Tail Pack - 36 L/9.5 gallon

On the negative side, only two things, but it applies to most soft luggage...

1. No security, so don't store anything valuable and walk away - though it would take some investigation to figure out how to remove it from the bike.
2. In addition to the bungee clips on the 4 corners, it has a second Velcro strap - it is very long and thus, for now, I routed it under the tail assembly. I plan on trimming it.

Photos:

IMG_5428.jpgIMG_5429.jpgIMG_5430.jpgIMG_5431.jpg81Z+1CVDh-L._SL1200_.jpgIMG_5432.jpg

OK - as promised, I am posting on the tail bag I settled on. The Oxford 1 First Time Tailpack. There are bigger ones out there, but this was the best of all worlds. Here is what I really liked about this one:

8. Has 3 sealed side pockets for quick access to small items.

Awesome find!! You might want to try spinning yours around 180. You have yours installed with one of the pockets facing you rather than at the back. There's pro's and con's to each though, so maybe it works better for you that way? I'm thinking that if the pocket was at the back of the bike it would make the seat raising even easier as it wouldn't try and smush it like in your picture.

That is some pretty serious expansion though!!

BTW, it says that it comes with backpack conversion. Can you post a picture of it in backpack 'mode'? Thx

Awesome find!! You might want to try spinning yours around 180. You have yours installed with one of the pockets facing you rather than at the back. There's pro's and con's to each though, so maybe it works better for you that way? I'm thinking that if the pocket was at the back of the bike it would make the seat raising even easier as it wouldn't try and smush it like in your picture.

That is some pretty serious expansion though!!

Great point - I will switch it on the next installation (easy!)!

BTW, it says that it comes with backpack conversion. Can you post a picture of it in backpack 'mode'? Thx

I wish I could, but I actually cut the backpack straps off. I would never use them and they were just in the way. They were there and appeared to be well designed.

Back