• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Recommended Garmin GPS in the $200 range?

There are programs out there that will take Google Map routs and convert them into a file to upload to a Garmin GPS. GMapToGPX | Communications From Elsewhere and GPS Visualizer: Convert GPS files to plain text or GPX. I have personally used the later.
Very often my routes are using very small roads a hundred to several hundred miles into a several hundred mile long route so I need to set a lot of waypoints to stay on my chosen roads. I'm talking about scaling down to map legends of .02 or .03 miles to pull these roads up. Can you use Google Map to build complex routes like this or are they pretty much the Google Map Origin to Destination navigation routes with three or four route options?

Very often my routes are using very small roads a hundred to several hundred miles into a several hundred mile long route so I need to set a lot of waypoints to stay on my chosen roads. I'm talking about scaling down to map legends of .02 or .03 miles to pull these roads up. Can you use Google Map to build complex routes like this or are they pretty much the Google Map Origin to Destination navigation routes with three or four route options?

You can use Google to build large detailed maps to within the limits of the map but on the program that I used I noticed that you can not have an open ended spur on a route. By that I mean you can not have a route that has a spur coming off and going a point without also returning back from that point and continuing. If you do the program drops the route at that point. Does that make since? The program reads points spaced along a route writes these points into a CSV file then converts that into a GPX file for the Garmin. It is a little clumsy to use but it does work.

How do you force it to make many turns (or not) to stay on a complex set of via points rather than the way Google Map code would have you go?

I've transferred my Garmin Nuvi from my car onto the bike and had good luck with it. I installed a ball mount on the bars and have had no issues with it. I was a little concerned initially about vibration effecting the unit, but after a full year of usage, I have had no issues.

Same with me, bduffey. Used Garmin Nuvi, Ram mount and ball. Works nicely and looks good.

How do you force it to make many turns (or not) to stay on a complex set of via points rather than the way Google Map code would have you go?

Not exactly sure what you mean by via points, I assume just a collection of points on a map. If you have a bunch of points to go to have Google create a route from beginning point to end point and then drag that route to intersect your points.

And the answer is: Garmin 2797LMT... 7 inches of big honkin' screen that I can see!!! Maybe I won't need that Madstad that's on my list now :) Amazon (Santa) is delivering tomorrow with all the Ram Mounts needed to do what I need.

Love to hear how this works for you. I currently use an old 60s, limited to 50 points on a route. I usually covert to tracks and follow the purple line. I wouldn't know how to reroute. Used it on the TAT last year.

Last edited:
And the answer is: Garmin 2797LMT... 7 inches of big honkin' screen that I can see!!! Maybe I won't need that Madstad that's on my list now :) Amazon (Santa) is delivering tomorrow with all the Ram Mounts needed to do what I need.

I have that particular model in my cage. Yep, it's big. Details are easy to see on the big screen. Let us know how it works on the bike. I haven't used mine on the bike since having a waterproof unit there is important to me.

Last edited:
[I know they are expensive but until someone makes a supporting mapping program that allows building, storing, editing and sharing routes I can't see using a phone to replace my Garmin. The way I use a GPS there is no other easy way...]

+1 because I'm the same way. At least from my viewpoint, using the GPS function on a cell phone is mainly to get from Point A to Point B, such as from the airport to your hotel in a strange city. As far as I know, there is no way for you to create a route on a cell phone that takes in all the curvy roads in a certain direction you want to travel.

By the way, there are lots of Garmin Nuvi models (dozens and dozens!) and most of them are not waterproof so would require a case if used on a motorcycle. Unless you want to stop when it starts to rain and put it into the Frunk. I have one such Nuvi and only use it in my car. My motorcycle GPS is a Garmin Zumo 550 which is waterproof but has memory limitations. It sits in a lockable mount so that makes it nice on a trip.

I've had several 5 or 6 different Garmin units and admit it is bewildering at first. It's kind of similar to a newbie asking a rider about the perfect motorcycle to buy - everyone has a different opinion! Just jump in and buy one (perhaps "factory refurbished"?) at a low price and start the learning process.

Last edited:
I use copilot on my Android, and it works well offline. You can import routs (well, waypoints) from other programs. If you do a lot of trail riding, it won't recognize the off-road waypoints. I tried it on my trip to Moab this summer, but it didn't let me use waypoints that were on forest roads, or the White Rim Trail.

Do we have a how to GPS thread here? I really got lost (no pun intended) in how to do things.
I like using Garmin Base camp and I've also used by phone (android), but never the twain shall meet. I've found that the newer version of google maps/my maps very limiting. In the old days, I could build some great routes, but not any more. I've got Co Pilot on my phone, which is ok, but I like to hit trails from time to time.
As mentioned above, I am currently using a Garmin 60, but its not very good (or I'm not very good) at finding routes, just following tracks.

I also plan to purchase a GPS this year in hopes of a future cross country (or at least to Colorado) trip. Wondering which would be the best option. The other issue, is which maps?

Back