• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

remove and refit the honda heated grips?

mike5100

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone successfully done this? My handlebars have got bent and need to be replaced. I definitely want to use the Honda heated grips so am hoping they can be taken off and refitted - otherwise it's going to be very pricey
Mike

I tried and failed, had to buy a new set. The left grip is glued to the handlebar and has to be pried off with a flathead screwdriver or something similar. The heating elements are very fragile, and despite my best efforts to be careful I must have cracked them, because the left grip wouldn't heat up after I removed it.

I've successfully used brake cleaner to soften grip glue. Gently work and insert the plastic extension of the brake cleaner spray can under the edge of the grip and spray a little bit. Twist & spray until the grip comes off. The Wurth brake cleaner I used did not damage paint or finish of the bars or the bike. Good luck!

I've successfully used brake cleaner to soften grip glue. Gently work and insert the plastic extension of the brake cleaner spray can under the edge of the grip and spray a little bit. Twist & spray until the grip comes off. The Wurth brake cleaner I used did not damage paint or finish of the bars or the bike. Good luck!
Thanks - I will pass that tip on to the dealer.
Mike

Depending on type/quantity of glue used, air pressure may break the bond. I have a thin nozzle for my air compressor that can be inserted between grips and bars to pop them loose.

Back