• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Replaced Rear Tire

TN Thunder

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the rear tire on the NC yesterday after 8875 miles on the original tire. I only put 2K miles on it since purchasing. Put a Shinko and broke it in today with 187 miles of curves, straights and gravel. New Shinko goes on front Tuesday. First time I've used this tire brand. I wouldn't know what to think if I could get 13,500 miles out of a tire, on a bike.

Never tried Shinko but I do remember reading some posts on this forum about this brand. I got about the same mi. as you did on the stock metzler. Then I had mounted the Michelin pr4 which is mentioned here as well and a lot of folks here favor this tire. Somewhere between 14-16000 mi. before they had to go. Last year I ended up mounting a set of pr3's because the closest dealer only had that pair in stock and I had to get on the road. I got about the same mileage out of that pair. Haven't found a reason to switch brands yet. Me think'n another pair of the 4's. What price was your Shinko? I may be Shink'n Shinko:).

Early Shinkos were shite, but I put a pair on my 06 Buell Ulysses and they handled pretty well and lasted well too.
That being said, I LOVE PR4s.

I got both front and rear tire for around $146 if I remember right. Got them from Chaparral. Depending on mileage I may go the same route next change or try the Michelin 4s.

Back