• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Reserve? nc700s

I don't know what is going on with my bike. Ever since the first tank, the reserve starts flashing at about 150 miles and I fill within 30 miles for 2.2 to 2.5 gallons. That means my bike is hitting its reserve with 1.2 - 1.5 gallons in the tank or about 90 miles...

Sounds like a problem with the fuel level sender in the tank. Take it to the dealer for warranty service.

Mine always hits the flasher at about 215 miles (give or take) with 0.7-0.8 gallons remaining.

Greg

Fourteen liter tank, the light is supposed to flash with three liters remaining, and when I go to fill up I get eleven liters in, give or take a few spoonfuls.

I do think I would have preferred an analogue fuel gauge, though.

That was me that they posted about running out at two bars. Went 211 miles. Funny thing is now I ride faster and the problem is the opposite, like yours Dan.

Reserve hits at 145-150 and I run out at 185 and 191. Usually running 80ish mph during commute. First bar goes anywhere from 10-40 miles. I filled up once to the baffle and the gauge never even showed full! Lol.

I've since shrugged it off as crappy senders and just pay attn to my average speed versus mileage.

I never let the petrol/gas get low anyway. One reason is the all bits of residue that can lay at the bottom of the tank after a period of time. Yes I know the system has filters, but I just don't like leaving my bike until the fuel gauge starts flashing.

I have a NCX also, on my first tank, I had 220 miles on the tank when the low fuel light came on.
The way I ride, I should be able to hit 280 miles before I run out.
I don't ride 80+ mph though!

First ride on freeway, stock windscreen, 70mph... the flashing started at 154 miles on the tripometer! I was expecting better. (MPG for that ride was 57)

I finally saw my red reserve light come on for the first time since I ran out of gas showing two bars still. Came on right before I stopped to get gas at about 191-196miles can't remember exactly. Put in 3.15galsUS and even overfilled it a little as I was expecting to have to put in more.

I finally saw my red reserve light come on for the first time since I ran out of gas showing two bars still. Came on right before I stopped to get gas at about 191-196miles can't remember exactly. Put in 3.15galsUS and even overfilled it a little as I was expecting to have to put in more.
Sounds like yours has decided to cooperate. If i fill up within a couple of miles from when the last bar flashes, mine usually takes 2.8 gallons when I fill to the metal lip inside the tank.

Bob

Sounds like yours has decided to cooperate. If i fill up within a couple of miles from when the last bar flashes, mine usually takes 2.8 gallons when I fill to the metal lip inside the tank.

Bob

Of course it has. I just mounted my two tool tubes with an MSR fuel bottle in each one to make sure I never run out of gas again. So of course my fuel gauge has to start behaving again.:rolleyes:;)

In my experience, the gauge seems to be based on your last tank of gas, and not the present one. I had been shoving the gas spout all the way in the tank and letting the auto-shutoff stop the flow. The reserve bar would start flashing between 155-170 miles, and I ran out at 201 miles a couple weeks ago. I started watching the fuel flow and stopping it myself just under the plate. That tank, I still got similar bars, but went over 200 miles without running out. Every tank thereafter, each bar stays about 20-30 miles longer than it had been.

Oddly, when I ran out the one time, I only filled up 3.2 gallons. Makes me wonder if you can't get 3.7 out of the tank and just leave a half gallon sitting in there, maybe by design. I've heard that many bikes out there have tanks with wells or other design flaws that prevent using all the gas.

In my experience, the gauge seems to be based on your last tank of gas, and not the present one. I had been shoving the gas spout all the way in the tank and letting the auto-shutoff stop the flow. The reserve bar would start flashing between 155-170 miles, and I ran out at 201 miles a couple weeks ago. I started watching the fuel flow and stopping it myself just under the plate. That tank, I still got similar bars, but went over 200 miles without running out. Every tank thereafter, each bar stays about 20-30 miles longer than it had been.

Oddly, when I ran out the one time, I only filled up 3.2 gallons. Makes me wonder if you can't get 3.7 out of the tank and just leave a half gallon sitting in there, maybe by design. I've heard that many bikes out there have tanks with wells or other design flaws that prevent using all the gas.

Earlier in this thread, treybrad reported running out of fuel and putting in 3.69 gallons. So at least on his NC, the tank does in fact hold the Honda specified volume. YMMV.

I fill mine exactly the same every time: just to the point of overflow.

Greg

Thanks for the heads-up. Good to know. I can't remember if I filled to the plate or not after I ran out, so maybe I could have fit another half gallon in there. Probably me just not getting my story straight. I had just pushed my bike a mile and a half, across the freeway in traffic and up an off-ramp, so I'll use exhaustion as my excuse. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I wasn't far from pulling out my MSR bottle today. View attachment 3605

Aiiee carumba! :eek: hahaha! Well done! That must be as darn near close as you can get, without running dry.

I was mildly sweating it on my way home last night, considering I had gotten such (comparitively) mundane mpg numbers so far. When I passed 340 km's (211 miles) and I was still on the highway, I thought my goose was cooked for sure.

Made it to a station no prob and when I filled up, it only took 12 litres! (3.17 US gal) I had lots left! ;)

I've run out twice. I fuel up over the baffle plate as high as I can without it spilling and I got 3.660 and 3.661.

My trip to work is about 62 miles, so I fill up every other night at 186. Like clock work. Yet, unlike clock work, my POS gauge is different every time. Lol

Back