• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fuel gauge issue

RantandRave

Reaction score
Visit site
Good evening all. Slight strange issue with fuel gauge. Start ride today and gauge showing two ‘dibbles’ as parked up after last ride. Within 100meteres, down to one and flashing red. Turned around to head back to garage and gauge changed back to two. Topped up from can and gauge went to three dibbles. Filled up to brim at garage, gauge showed full. Rode 110 km and gauge didn’t move. Stopped to garage bike, sidestand down and gauge dropped one ‘dibble’ !
Swithed ignition on and off , sometimes gauge showing full, sometimes showing one dibble down.
Is the sender in the tank a mechanical float type or electrical sender type please, if anyone knows. Bike is 2014 but only about 4k kms.

OP is from France so I apologize for using English units.

For what it is worth: The fuel gauge on my 2012 NC700X has 5 bars. After maximum capacity fill, my first bar will drop off after consuming 1 gallon. Each next bar drops away at about 0.55 to 0.6 gallons additional use. When two bars show, then next drop will be to one bar, and that one bar always flashes. There is no fuel gauge display where one bar will be on solid.

When decelerating or going downhill, the gauge can temporarily read a lower fuel level. When going uphill or accelerating, the gauge can temporarily read a higher level.

The fuel gauge sender is a mechanical float, which I believe outputs a variable resistance signal. The service manual will describe a test procedure for the fuel level sender.

I'm wondering how you get in there to replace the sender. It's probably not like a car with the arm etc. attached. It sounds like it's not moving freely.
Removal of the sender requires removing the fuel tank from the motorcycle. The sender and fuel pump come out as one unit from the bottom, I believe. It’s not a simple task. Refer to parts diagram.D88966FC-7A53-44B1-B82B-B65CDD7D72F3.jpeg

Removal of the sender requires removing the fuel tank from the motorcycle. The sender and fuel pump come out as one unit from the bottom, I believe. It’s not a simple task. Refer to parts diagram.View attachment 52513
Thanks for this info, such a helpful crowd. I’m away for a few days but will investigate on my return, thanks again everyone.

The symptoms you report are pretty much normal. I have seen mine go to the one flashing bar going down my steep driveway, then back up to two bars going up the steep road, and back to one flashing bar going down the hill outside of the subdivision. It seems to swing back and forth , unlike automobile gauges, which are generally damped electronically.

Good evening all. Slight strange issue with fuel gauge. Start ride today and gauge showing two ‘dibbles’ as parked up after last ride. Within 100meteres, down to one and flashing red. Turned around to head back to garage and gauge changed back to two. Topped up from can and gauge went to three dibbles. Filled up to brim at garage, gauge showed full. Rode 110 km and gauge didn’t move. Stopped to garage bike, sidestand down and gauge dropped one ‘dibble’ !
Swithed ignition on and off , sometimes gauge showing full, sometimes showing one dibble down.
Is the sender in the tank a mechanical float type or electrical sender type please, if anyone knows. Bike is 2014 but only about 4k kms.
Hi, I ride the 2012 NC700X and my fuel gauge has a mind of its own. After I fill up the tank I show all the bars. Then when I pull out of the gas station and head on the freeway, no more than 10 minutes or so I lose a bar. I usually have more fuel than the indicator shows. Regardless, I don’t trust the gauge so carry an extra gallon of fuel in the back at all times. But overall no issues. Best

Hi, I ride the 2012 NC700X and my fuel gauge has a mind of its own. After I fill up the tank I show all the bars. Then when I pull out of the gas station and head on the freeway, no more than 10 minutes or so I lose a bar. I usually have more fuel than the indicator shows. Regardless, I don’t trust the gauge so carry an extra gallon of fuel in the back at all times. But overall no issues. Best
If you are not riding far from home (like cross state or cross country) rather than carry a gallon of gas everywhere, why not just zero your trip meter when you fill up and get gas when it gets to around 180 miles (you'll still have at least 40-50 miles before you run out). Then fill up and zero it again.

You might want to give Honda your VIN (vehicle identification number) to see if there is an outstanding recall. My 2014 (US Model) was recalled for a faulty meter panel because the fuel gauge was doing the same thing.

Back