• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Return to the Land of the Dragon...again....2017

route suggestion

I've planned a Dualsport route for Friday.
145miles, 70/30 paved/gravel/dirt that includes the Dragon.
Should be about 4hrs of riding plus lunch and gas/break time.
If wet, it will be a challenge or fun!
Home for dinner by dusk.
I think it can be run clock/counterclock wise direction, depending on the mood.
Let me know if you have any changes/suggestions
https://gpx2kml.com/map/9d10rfrsa

For Saturday, when the cruisers clog up the touristy routes,I am headed east of Cherokee to ride the Heitooga one way gravel (14mi of goodness)It starts off of the BRP and loops back into Cherokee for a nice half day ride.Heintooga Round Bottom Rd (1) on gpx2kml.com - Free online gpx to kml converter

Edit: 5/12/17
Looks like they will not open Heintooga until after Memorial Day.
I have a new DS route posted for SAT on pg3

Last edited:
I've planned a Dualsport route for Friday.
145miles, 70/30 paved/gravel/dirt that includes the Dragon.
Should be about 4hrs of riding plus lunch and gas/break time.
If wet, it will be a challenge or fun!
Home for dinner by dusk.
I think it can be run clock/counterclock wise direction, depending on the mood.
Let me know if you have any changes/suggestions
https://gpx2kml.com/map/9d10rfrsa

Looks like fun!

We definitely don't want to miss Mo's Friday dinner!

Last edited:
Balsam Mtn road, accessed off the BRP, has been closed every time I've attempted it in the spring. The one time I saw it open was when I was two-up on the Goldwing, so I didn't try it. From the other end it can be ridden a small part of the way in, but the main section is one way toward Cherokee.

Balsam Mtn road, accessed off the BRP, has been closed every time I've attempted it in the spring. The one time I saw it open was when I was two-up on the Goldwing, so I didn't try it. From the other end it can be ridden a small part of the way in, but the main section is one way toward Cherokee.
I was wrong about Heitooga Ridge Rd (continues onto Balsam) being gravel,
but looks like Saturday will be opening day: YES!:D
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm

• Balsam Mountain Road: Open May 27 - November 1, 2016.
    Buses, motorhomes, vans longer than 25 feet, and passenger vehicles towing trailers are prohibited on this road.

PS just realized they don't update the dates much on that page. hooey!:mad:

Last edited:
I think I got the sign up sheet open to you guys. Go to the first post and get your name on the sheet. If it still doesn't work...call me and idiot and I'll try again.

If you want some gravel, we could run Rt 1395 and 1397 from I-40 exit 20 up to exit 451 along the east border of the park. Then the twisties on Rt 32 are like the Dragon but there is nobody on it. Fun stuff.

I think I got the sign up sheet open to you guys. Go to the first post and get your name on the sheet. If it still doesn't work...call me and idiot and I'll try again.
U did not change the arr and dep dates, Dale!!

Ok I signed up, but y'all that already done so might wanna check yer dates on the sheet.

what's the camping space like? If I wait until the last minute am I in trouble or will I be ok?

The camping is virtually unlimited. You can set up anywhere you want on the grounds. If you want a space with electricity for a four wheeled vehicle or that and a trailer, then you may want to reserve, but if you're tent camping, I would not worry about having a space. There are a few tables and a few fire pits, but you basically just pick a spot you like. Most of the time we're hanging out at the "lodge" anyway.

Comparing last year's May KSL meet to the fall HU meet over at Ironhorse, the tent density at Ironhorse was about 30 times what it is at KSL. That's why KSL is so much nicer.

The downside to KSL is that it's close to the highway, so until the traffic settles down at night, it's a little noisy.

Last edited:
The camping is virtually unlimited. You can set up anywhere you want on the grounds. If you want a space with electricity for a four wheeled vehicle or that and a trailer, then you may want to reserve, but if you're tent camping, I would not worry about having a space. There are a few tables and a few fire pits, but you basically just pick a spot you like. Most of the time we're hanging out at the "lodge" anyway.

Comparing last year's May KSL meet to the fall HU meet over at Ironhorse, the tent density at Ironhorse was about 30 times what it is at KSL. That's why KSL is so much nicer.

The downside to KSL is that it's close to the highway, so until the traffic settles down at night, it's a little noisy.
What traffic noise?
I was enjoying the "KSL Bullfrog Quartet" a lot more.

Well, I'm glad to hear about the camping. As of right now, I'm coming. I have the vacation time, significant others blessing (although not signed or notarized yet j/k) yadda yadda.

The thing that might derail it is I'm about to start the process of buying a house. So depending on how that process goes, and the timing of it all will be the final factor.

I look forward to seeing 670 again and meeting the new people.

Back