• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Rider Magazine’s 2013 Motorcycle of the Year

hermesco

Reaction score
Visit site
Each year Rider magazine’s selects a Motorcycle of the Year (MOTY) from all the new bikes they’ve tested. They’re changing the process for 2013. Instead of the magazine staff selecting the 2013 MOTY, they're conducting a “People’s Choice” vote on their website (ridermagazine.com).

In years past, they have limited the list of eligible motorcycles to new models, models with significant changes from the previous year, and previous year late release new or significantly changed models that they didn’t receive in time for testing before the MOTY deadline. The 2013 NC700X isn’t eligible, since there are no major changes from the 2012 model, but the 2012 NC700X should be eligible, since Rider wasn’t able to obtain one for testing until after their 2012 MOTY deadline (as specifically mentioned in their July 2012 edition MOTY article).

Unfortunately, Rider forgot to include the 2012 NC700X in the list of bikes to vote for on the 2013 MOTY voting ballot. I’ve already sent email to the editor pointing out this mistake. However, the ballot does provide a write-in option. If you (like me) believe the 2012 NC700X should receive the Rider magazine’s 2013 MOTY award (for all the reasons we love this bike), then I encourage you to cast your vote by writing-in the NC700X on the ballot form.

See the ridermagazine.com website for more information about the 2013 MOTY process and the other bikes in contention for this highly coveted award!

As per your Avatar hermesco, this is one (of too many, sigh, lol) thing I tilt at with motorcycle journos and their methods of "testing" and/or the decision making process, especially concerning MOTY.

I obviously get the disqual if a bike doesn't come out in time for a test, but to go full retard and not test a 2013 bike, because it's unchanged from the 2012 model, which wasn't released in time for the previous year's MOTY deadline, is beyond ridiculous.

Also, to me, it's just stupid to exclude possibly the best motorcycle in any given year from a new comparitive test, just because it was unchanged from the previous model year.

I think if a bike wins the MOTY vote one year, it should automatically come back each successive year by default, until it doesn't win first place again.

And "forgot" to include one of the major game changes in motorcycling's recent history? One that has won numerous accolades from their peers in the press and the public? *rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes*

Sounds dodgy to me.

Note; I wouldn't care if the NCX is reviled by all and sundry as the worst piece of crap to ever roll off the Japanese motorcycle assembly line, I like it, so am unconcerned about the whole voting thing, really.

And for gawd's sake, don't take my old grumbly crotchety guy cane waving rant as anything directed at you, lol :D

Just a thought... maybe they didn't include NC700 into the vote because it has basically half of the Honda Jazz engine and will be nominated to HOTCEOTY (Half Of The Car Engine Of The Year) Award? :p

The NC is the bike that best fulfills what I want out of a motorcycle at this point in my life, and I obviously feel it's an excellent machine. Having said that, It does not meet my criteria for a motorcycle of the year. I think of a MOTY as something along the lines of the original VFR750 Interceptor, the first R1, the Gold Wing 1200 Interstate, the first Hayabusa, the early BMW adventure tourers and LTs. In other words, a MOTY to me should be a bike that pushes the touring, sport, sport touring, or some other genre performance envelope. I just don't feel world class fuel economy and a frunk qualify a budget bike with basic suspension for MOTY. Just my opinion and I fully expect most to disagree, so feel free to flame away.

Bob

The NC is the bike that best fulfills what I want out of a motorcycle at this point in my life, and I obviously feel it's an excellent machine. Having said that, It does not meet my criteria for a motorcycle of the year. I think of a MOTY as something along the lines of the original VFR750 Interceptor, the first R1, the Gold Wing 1200 Interstate, the first Hayabusa, the early BMW adventure tourers and LTs. In other words, a MOTY to me should be a bike that pushes the touring, sport, sport touring, or some other genre performance envelope. I just don't feel world class fuel economy and a frunk qualify a budget bike with basic suspension for MOTY. Just my opinion and I fully expect most to disagree, so feel free to flame away.

Bob

Several years ago Motorcyclist chose the Kawi Versys as MOTY for many of the same reasons everyone loves the X. IMHO it does them better. Saw the omission of the X when I got my issue of Rider last week.

Back