• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Saddlemen touring seat kit - review

jspivy

Reaction score
Visit site
Short story to start... I agreed to buy the bike and asked the dealer to give me a day to sign papers at the bank (already approved, just had to make it official). They left it on the floor so others could look at it in case I didn't come through and someone tore the seat. When I arrived, they met me at the door, apologized and said a new seat was on the way so I'd have 2 seats (no charge). :D

When the new one came in, the torn seat went straight to GreatDayToRide.com (GDTR) because I'd used him before. I couldn't stand the stock seat so I couldn't wait for it to come back. HUGE improvement but last month I took a long weekend and put 1200 miles on the bike (last day was about 475 miles). The seat did not perform as well as I'd hoped. I had pressure points under the hip bones so I'd shift my weight forward and put pressure on that nerve (I forget what it's called). I know the Seat Concepts has good reviews but I wanted something closer to stock appearance if possible.

The local dealer found the Saddlemen Touring Seat Kit in the Parts Unlimited catalog (that's apparently the only place it's available). And I get 20% off accessories for the first year so that made it $163 after taxes for new front & rear seats (have to reuse my seat pans).
http://asset.lemansnet.com/static/sites/partsunlimited/flipper/2014_Street/#?page=438

A little patience and the front seat cover was replaced. If you're afraid to do it yourself, the seat came with a coupon where you could send the seat & $20 to Saddlemen for them to do it for you. That was completed July 2 and I headed out of town on July 4 for a 900 mile weekend. Much better. The sides were noticeably stiffer than the center which removed all pressure on the nerve. Hip bones still had some pressure but I was just getting the seat broke in and it's been better since then. After about 1500 miles, I can't tell the sides are stiffer but I still don't have pressure on the nerve. It is taller than the seat from GDTR and I seem to slide forward a little easier although not nearly as bad as the stock seat. Probably the only thing that would make the seat more comfortable is making it wider which I am trying to avoid.

I've attached 4 photos (hopefully). Two of the seat on the bike immediately after install. The small wrinkles went away after it sat in the sun for a few minutes. It may not show in the photos but it doesn't sit as flush to the frunk as the stock seat or the one from GDTR (quite possibly my fault as this was my first time stapling a seat cover). The rear hasn't been installed yet (I ride solo - no rush to install it) so you'll see the covers don't match. The pictures of the rear seat is to show the foam on the bottom and the two different foams to relieve nerve pressure. I'm not an expert on seats but I'll answer any questions I can.

side.jpgtop.jpgrear2.jpgrear1.jpg

jspivy,
Nice looking seat. I'm happy to see another happy buyer/rider review of the Saddlemen seat kit. I just ordered one last week, but have not received it yet. I guess in hind sight you were lucky that someone tore the seat on your new bike while it was still at the dealers. A strange way to receive 2 seats with your new bike. I like the idea of using two different foam densities in the seat base. A neat way to make a comfort pocket in the seat cushion. You mentioned that the seat was taller than your other seat. Approximately how much taller than the stock seat? How tall are you and what is your inseam length? I'll post a review and photos when I install mine.

Yeah, when they said a new seat was on order I immediately asked what was going to happen with the old seat. They were going to toss it unless I had a use for it. Free seat with a 1/8 inch tear was an obvious choice for me.

I'm 5'8", 170 pounds, with a 29" inseam. The seat modified by GDTR was a little lower than stock and allowed me to stand with both feet flat on the ground. The Saddlemen is taller and my heels are about 1/2" off the ground. It's been nearly a year since I was on a stock seat but I'm going to guess the Saddlemen is about the same height.

When I first got the Saddlemen, it was firmer than the GDTR and I thought I might not like it so I only replaced the front seat. It has proven to be more comfortable than I thought it would be so I haven't felt the need to swap the seats again. The rear still needs to be done just so I have matching covers. And maybe I'll have a passenger one day...

At one time Saddlemen and Travelcade were the same company. The seats they made for Harley Davidson were called "Saddlemen" and the seats they made for Asian motorcycles were called "Travelcade". Both were always very good seats. Travelcade Goldwing seat was one of the best on the market. Their products have always been distributed by Parts Unlimited, so they can be purchased though any brand of dealership.

Last edited:
I've got the same touring model seat in my '13 and agree with the majority of your review, however at 6'3" and 235lbs I feel like it still has some slope issues (I slide forward, not anywhere near as bad as stock but still have forward pressure) but I have not tried the slope mod yet to see if that helps.

I did go on a hundred mile or so ride with the girl yesterday who commented while the bike itself wasn't comfortable for her to ride on, the seat was great and left her with no strange pressure points or discomfort. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the rear pegs which left her foot numb within minutes, but that's another story.

Anyway, here are a couple pics of the front and rear seat in mine, if you haven't read about it in my thread in the general area, the bid thing to note is Saddlemen for whatever reason doesn't have a great deal of info on this seat or the Performance version of it and are no help in deciding which one would work better. What I know is the front part of the touring seat is about an inch thicker but each felt roughly the same as far as density. Think I have around 350 miles on mine so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,491
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,409
I

Anyway, here are a couple pics of the front and rear seat in mine, if you haven't read about it in my thread in the general area, the bid thing to note is Saddlemen for whatever reason doesn't have a great deal of info on this seat or the Performance version of it and are no help in deciding which one would work better. What I know is the front part of the touring seat is about an inch thicker but each felt roughly the same as far as density. Think I have around 350 miles on mine so far.

Thanks for the reviews, everyone.

As I read through this thread, my question was whether anyone yet knows the difference between the various Saddlemen kits. So far it appears that it's still a secret. I have a stock seat pan and may try one of these kits, but more info about the model differences would be required.

Any idea why Saddlemen lists their kits for 2013-2014 only? I thought the seat wasn't changed at all until 2014 and even then the pan wasn't changed. The seat concepts is listed for all years and both 700 and 750.

Miweber929, you're sliding forward on that seat? That's good feedback; I would not have expected that, based on the look in the photos.

What is the difference between Touring and Performance seat kits?

Well, pretty soon we will all know the difference between the basic two models of the Saddlemen Seat Kits, the Performance model and the Touring model. These are the two distinct shapes/models. They also offer more variations in upholster fabrics that are available for these two models of seat kits for the 2012-14 Honda NC700X.
I ordered the Performance model with carbon fiber look vinyl upholstery. So it looks like I'll be the first with this model?
The two previous posters both have the Touring model seat kits.
Performance seat kit #0910-H007J
Touring seat kit #0910-H007JT

Thanks for the reviews, everyone.
As I read through this thread, my question was whether anyone yet knows the difference between the various Saddlemen kits. So far it appears that it's still a secret. I have a stock seat pan and may try one of these kits, but more info about the model differences would be required.

Saddlemen didn't make a seat kit for the NC700 until 2013?
Any idea why Saddlemen lists their kits for 2013-2014 only? I thought the seat wasn't changed at all until 2014 and even then the pan wasn't changed. The seat concepts is listed for all years and both 700 and 750.

Miweber929, you're sliding forward on that seat? That's good feedback; I would not have expected that, based on the look in the photos.

Yes, it's not nearly as bad but it is still there. Is no sliding is a 0 and stock is a 10, I'd say it's a 3.5 where my CBR600 is a 1 maybe. I thought it wouldn't be an issue either but even after adding Stompgrips to the side panel it's still maybe a 3. Thinking a small rise of a 1/4" or so is all that's needed.

Well, pretty soon we will all know the difference between the basic two models of the Saddlemen Seat Kits, the Performance model and the Touring model. These are the two distinct shapes/models. They also offer more variations in upholster fabrics that are available for these two models of seat kits for the 2012-14 Honda NC700X.
I ordered the Performance model with carbon fiber look vinyl upholstery. So it looks like I'll be the first with this model?
You may not have read this in my other thread but know I ordered BOTH kits and put them side to side and BOTH on the empty seat pan to compare them both off and while sitting on the bike and the only difference I could see and feel was the front area of the Touring model was about 3/4" thicker than the Performance one. And Saddleman said the construction and materials would be the same with the Touring having more padding to make it more "comfortable" which concurred with my findings . I'm glad you're trying the other one, though, and hope you don't slide as much as I think you may.

Let us know either way, my bike is about to go on the for sale block as I don't need a one person tourer and the girl does not like the passenger seating position so I may not do much more to the bike and might not be much help.

Mike

I'll be waiting for your review.I wasn't going to change the seat,but lately been looking.

Update:

I have to ammend my seat review slightly as this morning I rode to work in normal jeans, not in my normal Icon kevlar jeans and had almost no isues with sliding forward. Never had issues before on any other bike with those pants but I definitely noticed that this morning that the tendency to slide wasn't nearly as bad (from my earlier scale I'd say it was a 1.5 or 1) and the seat overall felt more planted. I will further test for any differences but was quite a bit happier on the bike today than ever before and the feeling of sliding forward was alomost completely gone.

Weird, wish I had more of an explaination but it seems to be working far better.

Mike

The secret explanation is "KEVLAR". The no stick smooth surface material.:rolleyes:

Update:

I have to ammend my seat review slightly as this morning I rode to work in normal jeans, not in my normal Icon kevlar jeans and had almost no isues with sliding forward. Never had issues before on any other bike with those pants but I definitely noticed that this morning that the tendency to slide wasn't nearly as bad (from my earlier scale I'd say it was a 1.5 or 1) and the seat overall felt more planted. I will further test for any differences but was quite a bit happier on the bike today than ever before and the feeling of sliding forward was alomost completely gone.

Weird, wish I had more of an explaination but it seems to be working far better.

Mike

The secret explanation is "KEVLAR". The no stick smooth surface material.:rolleyes:
We'll yeah I get that, but I've owned probably 15 bikes in the last 6 years and have ridden them without issue in the two pairs of Kevlar lined jeans I have. My comment is more why this bike and no others, I have no idea why this one is so different than the others.

Or at least not an issue to the point I noticed it.

Mike

I'll be waiting for your review.I wasn't going to change the seat,but lately been looking.
Ziggie,
Well I received the Performance Saddlemen Seat Kit yesterday and opened the shipping box today. The first thing I see is a divot in the right rear flank of the front seat's outer foam layer. It would show through the seat cover as a dent if and when the seat upholstery is installed over it. Not impressed. So I decided to try the seat's comfort without actually glueing and stapling the seat together. When it was placed on my bike there was a definite downward slope toward the gas tank, so I guess Saddlemen didn't correct the forward slope of the seat. When I sat on the seat on the bike there was a definite tilt forward. I then place the stock OEM seat foam on the bike. It actually had less of a forward tilt. So I really do not see any benefit in using this Performance Seat Kit on my bike. I am going to return this seat kit to the seller.
Your results may vary.

Back