• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sargent Seat, Pre-Registering NC700X for Seat Development

well yes... 200 miles is just an arbitrary #. I was attempting to describe the perfect seat reviewer... and that would be someone who had had long experience with every seat... not too many guys like that around!

Everyone who pre-registered should be receiving an email explaining the choices and pricing.
If you are only interested in the front seat only, it's introductory price is $279.95 with black welt.
You have to order by phone, and the introductory price is good until April 25, 2014.
I'm placing my order Monday.:eek:
"I guess it is "HAPPENING"!:rolleyes:

I pre-registered but never received an email (check my junk folder also and made sure they wasn't blacklisted). Oh well, I may try the seat concepts route this summer (but I kinda like my cheap setup I have now).

I pre-registered but never received an email (check my junk folder also and made sure they wasn't blacklisted). Oh well, I may try the seat concepts route this summer (but I kinda like my cheap setup I have now).

I did not receive the email either ...........but they had my preregistration on file when I called to place the order.

Rygle928,
Is that a gap between the nose of the seat and the body of the bike? Seems quite big... or is it just the angle?
Thx!

Icing777 - Yes there is a small gap in that picture. Angle didn't help but I didn't have it seated all the way when I took the pic...and sorry I always upload sideways :). Gap is gone now and no more than the OEM seat...will shoot you another pic when I get home tonight.

SergeantChuck - yep just got the front...never do 2 up and I typically have stuff strapped on for long trips so didn't see the need. Fit with the OEM rear seat is excellent....latch is as smooth as the day I bought it with no binding.

Will have a better road review after the trip to Austin for MOTOGP and the iron butt trip to Iowa next month.

Icing777 - Yes there is a small gap in that picture. Angle didn't help but I didn't have it seated all the way when I took the pic...and sorry I always upload sideways :). Gap is gone now and no more than the OEM seat...will shoot you another pic when I get home tonight.

SergeantChuck - yep just got the front...never do 2 up and I typically have stuff strapped on for long trips so didn't see the need. Fit with the OEM rear seat is excellent....latch is as smooth as the day I bought it with no binding.

Will have a better road review after the trip to Austin for MOTOGP and the iron butt trip to Iowa next month.

Thank you for the clarification! :)

Here are some initial observations/comparisons of the Sargent seat. My experience with aftermarkets seats thus far is I had a Corbin on my old ST1100, and I tried a Seat Concepts on my NC700X, but removed it after two weeks and sold it. I'm 5' 8" tall, 32 inch inseam, and 166 pounds naked in the morning (before breakfast).

The Sargent seat overall is only about 3/4 inch wider than stock. That's an additional 3/8 inch added to each side. The Seat Concepts was wider than either. Viewing the profile, the Sargent and stock are nearly identical up front. The Sargent tries to eliminate forward slope by dishing out the rear of the front seat, whereas Seat concepts added fill to the front. Sargent and stock allow the same seat height and leg reach to the ground, whereas Seat Concepts added a good inch to the seat height.

The seat pan and hardware on the Sargent are top notch - even better than stock. The front tongue and rear tabs were precisely placed and attached with socket head stainless steel screws. The cover fit up front was very good, as you can see in the pictures, but there was just a slight side to side play.

Positives: The cover is very nice quality and installed accurately. I think the Sargent Carbon cover is identical fabric to what SC used. The Sargent brand name is just a small tag like Seat Concepts has, instead of a big free advertising banner like a certain other aftermarket seat maker.

Now the bad: As you can see in the last photo, the seat rests on the rear grab rail. I am having difficulty installing the seat screws because the seat is down as far as it can go but the screws don't quite line up. This is because I have the SW-Motech Alu-Rack installed, which raised the grab rails by about 1/8 inch. The Givi side rails would probably result in the same "problem". It should be an easy fix as I could slot the seat bracket holes a bit with a file, or I could add a shim under the tabs on the seat.

As for comfort, well it's raining and cold and dark so I cant give a ride opinion yet. Sitting in the garage, the seat feels the same height as stock, or maybe a tad lower towards the back. It feels firmer but with a better shape. One concern is I can still feel the "ridges' that run along the two sides towards the front poking my thighs.

A ride report will follow when I get the opportunity.

100_7063.jpg
100_7064.jpg
100_7065.jpg
100_7066.jpg
100_7068.jpg
100_7069.jpg
100_7070.jpg
100_7071.jpg
100_7072.jpg

Last edited:
Greg, the photography in your post was EXCELLENT. Thank you for that. It's reassuring to see that it all fits so well, your own hand rail problem notwithstanding.

Looks like the two Sargents that I've owned. I agree that quality is top notch.

What I'm interested in is did they remove the slope to the front of the bike? It looks like it is still there from the pic but I know that might not be a reliable indicator.

The Sargent I had on my ST was a little wide up front and dug into my inner thighs on long rides. The Alaskan Sheepskin I had remedied that for the most part. If I would've ridden to FL and had them trim a bit off of the sides the seat would've been absolutely perfect for me. I did several 800+ mile days and found the seat to be excellent (with the sheepskin).

Anxious to hear how it feels after a long ride. Hope you can get out of the garage soon.
Mike

I'm planning a ride to Las Vegas and back to break in the new seat! 250 miles each way!

Don't think 250 miles will do it. I had over 50K miles on the last one and it looked and felt like it did the day I put it on the bike. But, you will be able to tell if you like it or not after 250 miles.

Report back what you find out. I'm still waiting to hear some reviews before I pull the trigger. My modified seat isn't too bad now.
Mike

Don't think 250 miles will do it. I had over 50K miles on the last one and it looked and felt like it did the day I put it on the bike. But, you will be able to tell if you like it or not after 250 miles.

Report back what you find out. I'm still waiting to hear some reviews before I pull the trigger. My modified seat isn't too bad now.
Mike
The good folks at FedEx tell me it will get here on Tuesday next week. I plan the ride for Wednesday (spring break).
Is there a pic somewhere of your modified seat. I do admire the hand-made modifications.

Not much to look at Strat. I removed the vinyl and cut a longitudinal groove out of the foam and put everything back together. The seat had too much crown to it. That's what I liked about the Sargents I've owned........their flat and wide.
Mike

Mine arrived this morning........installed........but too icy to ride..........in the shop....... the slope is fixed, wider seating area, firmer foam so I am very confident this seat will work........suppose to 50 degree by Sunday so the real test will have to wait until then.

Any one want to buy a Seat concepts seat.........:)

Mine arrived this morning too!! Raining in N. GA today & tomorrow, , , other things planned for Sunday & plan on riding on the predicted 70 degree Monday!! :)

Mine arrived this morning........installed........but too icy to ride..........in the shop....... the slope is fixed, wider seating area, firmer foam so I am very confident this seat will work........suppose to 50 degree by Sunday so the real test will have to wait until then.

Any one want to buy a Seat concepts seat.........:)

Mine arrived this morning too!! Raining in N. GA today & tomorrow, , , other things planned for Sunday & plan on riding on the predicted 70 degree Monday!! :)
If you are afraid to get the seat wet, you bought the wrong one.

Besides, weather map right now looks pretty good in your area. Here is the ride home I am about to take in 30 minutes.

Listen to the man. Like OCR says, "Get out and ride."

Weather 3-28-14.jpg

Back