• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sargent Seat, Pre-Registering NC700X for Seat Development

Got my Sargent seat on Saturday, just in time for a 200 mile day across a very hot Southern California trek. My initial reaction was: "wow, this foam is firm!" The first few miles left me wondering if there really was a benefit. Of course, the first few miles on the stock seat was never a problem for me. Let me also say, I'm about 210 lbs with a shortish inseam of about 30.5 inches. That being said, I was pleased that the Sargent seat seemed no higher than the stocker. About 50 miles into my trip, i started feeling a bit sore in a couple spots. By this time on the stock seat, I'd already want a break. So, so far, the Sargent seemed better than stock for the distance of toleration. What I found interesting is that with the stock seat, the pressure points were in a bit closer. The Sargent, being dished, moved my pressure points out a bit. Like an inch out per butt cheek. I'm 51, and someone mentioned that we middled-aged peeps might have a bit less natural padding down there and I might agree. I'm a husky guy, but I don't have too much of an ***, so I can't fill up that seat's dish. that might mean without a full custom made seat, I may only be getting incremental improvements.

So, my take on my 200 mile ride stretched over 4 hours? I couldn't wait to get off my NC. I rode my 2008 V-Strom to Utah and back a few years ago, and don't remember such butt pains. True, the Sargent took longer to hurt my bottom side than the stocker, but I'm not sure it was a $300 improvement. I like the seat on my PCX150 better and I've done 4 and 5-hour rides on it.

I'm going to put the stock seat back on and remind myself of how that felt, then I'll decide. One thing for sure is, if I use either the stock or the Sargent, I'm likely going to use my Airhawk for anything over 50 miles.

If I had to score the seats, I'll give you long and short distance scoring on a scale of 1-10

For in-city, or short distances: Stock Seat: 8. Sargent Seat 8. (I see little or no benefit for the Sargent for short runs)

For long-distance comfort: Stock Seat: 5. Sargent Seat: 7.5. Stock Seat with Airhawk: 9. ( Airhawk's do help, but you feel a bit disconnected from the bike and it's a hassle to tote around).

I haven't yet tried the Airhawk on the Sargent, but I bought the Sargent so I didn't have to use that. I might settle for a sheepskin butt pad on the Sargent (like someone else mentioned). That's likely what I'll end up with.

Damn my boney butt!

My Sargent hass bit looser fit up front than stock, and the tang/tab/tongue is definitely engaged.

seems to me that putting a SHIM on TOP of the tang/tongue/tab would make the seat fit more snugly. I suppose that will depend on how much "play" there is for the tab when in the bracket.... I'll pad it with some rubber and get back to you. It might work better to put the shim in the bracket (at the top) then put the tab in.

So I got my World sport seat this morning and installed it right away. I havent ridden it yet but have sat on it and here are my initial impressions.

Fit and finish: With the seat in my hands(pre-install) I think....Good materials and craftmanship. This is the seat that should have came on the bike to start with. With the seat installed, I have a gap between the seat nose and the Silver painted "Frunk" panels. Also, when moving around while seated the seat creaks alot.

Comfort: Sitting stationary in my garage it is firmer foam that stock but not as firm as my old Corbin I just sold.

I sold my Corbin prematurely. I "thought" I was going to trade the NC on a Can Am Spyder RT so my wife could join me as she wont ride on a two-wheeler(very very long story). In the end, she decided she wasnt ready for a Can-am spyder either. I thought, no biggie, I'll get the new Sargent offering. Now I think I should have kept the corbin as it is just made more solid and better fit, finish, comfort.

I will give this Sargent a week to grow on me....If it doesnt Its going back and I'll just wait to buy a Corbin setup second hand. Lesson learned.

Craig

So I identified where "creaking" is coming from. I'm disappointed. I re-installed the stock seat and the fitment is much better. I really wanted this to be good looking and functional. I requested an RA# and will begin my search for a front and rear matching Corbin setup.

The photos dont truly illustrate the gap but the masking tape isolated the craking noise where the vinyl rubs the paint.20140411_101311.jpg20140411_102628.jpg

Craig

So I identified where "creaking" is coming from. I'm disappointed. I re-installed the stock seat and the fitment is much better. I really wanted this to be good looking and functional. I requested an RA# and will begin my search for a front and rear matching Corbin setup.
The photos dont truly illustrate the gap but the masking tape isolated the craking noise where the vinyl rubs the paint.
Craig
Craig,
You're starting to make me nervous. I am currently riding with a Corbin seat that I did a ride into Corbin's to make my purchase and then did a return to Corbin's for an adjustment. I've been riding the Corbin since April 2013.
I also have ordered a Sargent seat, which I haven't received yet. Now I'm beginning to worry that the Sargent I'll receive may not be such a great improvement over what I currently have. I'll just have to wait for delivery and see how it compares. Maybe I'll get lucky?:(

Craig,
You're starting to make me nervous. I am currently riding with a Corbin seat that I did a ride into Corbin's to make my purchase and then did a return to Corbin's for an adjustment. I've been riding the Corbin since April 2013.
I also have ordered a Sargent seat, which I haven't received yet. Now I'm beginning to worry that the Sargent I'll receive may not be such a great improvement over what I currently have. I'll just have to wait for delivery and see how it compares. Maybe I'll get lucky?:(

Pismo,

I'm anxious to see if your analysis differs from mine. If you like the Sargent I may be a buyer for your Corbin.

Craig

Just a quick update. I recently returned my Sargent seat and I had no problems having a refund issued to my credit card. I did have to pay for shipping both ways, but was refunded the full purchase price the day after they received the returned seat. They kept me updated with email notifications throughout the process and any time I had a question they were very friendly and helpful on the phone.

Even though the Sargent seat did not work well enough for me, my experience with the company was positive and I would not hesitate doing business with them in the future.

Just a quick update. I recently returned my Sargent seat and I had no problems having a refund issued to my credit card. I did have to pay for shipping both ways, but was refunded the full purchase price the day after they received the returned seat. They kept me updated with email notifications throughout the process and any time I had a question they were very friendly and helpful on the phone.

Even though the Sargent seat did not work well enough for me, my experience with the company was positive and I would not hesitate doing business with them in the future.

Enforcer, I e-mailed them yesterday requesting an RA# and haven't gotten a reply. I suppose I should phone them Monday as well? Did you get your RA# via e-mail or phone?

Craig

Craig,
Have you considered contacting Sargent and seeing if you could set up a ride-in appointment to have them modify the seat. I don't know if they would agree to it or if a day ride to Jacksonville is something you could work out, but it may be something to consider. Sargent re-built my stock seat over a year ago and they were extremely accommodating about making adjustments to the seat. Mine was the first NC seat they customized, so that may have had something to do with it but I found them to be really willing to adjust it to my preferences. In my case they did the initial build without it being on the bike (Supposed to be a ride in appointment but that day the temperature dropped below freezing so I took the car). After a few days I rode the bike up and they did some re-shaping of the foam and even made new covers for both seats. At any rate, I've was extremely impressed with their willingness to work with me.
Like I said before, I don't know if riding up to Jacksonville and having them possibly make adjustments to the seat would be an option for you, but it may be something to consider.

Bob

Craig,
Have you considered contacting Sargent and seeing if you could set up a ride-in appointment to have them modify the seat. I don't know if they would agree to it or if a day ride to Jacksonville is something you could work out, but it may be something to consider. Sargent re-built my stock seat over a year ago and they were extremely accommodating about making adjustments to the seat. Mine was the first NC seat they customized, so that may have had something to do with it but I found them to be really willing to adjust it to my preferences. In my case they did the initial build without it being on the bike (Supposed to be a ride in appointment but that day the temperature dropped below freezing so I took the car). After a few days I rode the bike up and they did some re-shaping of the foam and even made new covers for both seats. At any rate, I've was extremely impressed with their willingness to work with me.
Like I said before, I don't know if riding up to Jacksonville and having them possibly make adjustments to the seat would be an option for you, but it may be something to consider.

Bob

Bob,

No, but I did send an e-mail to them explaining the issue with photos and that I thought the seat quality was very good if only it fit the bike better. They e-mailed me back stating they will try to fix for me....We'll see what happens so stay tuned.

Craig

I took the plunge and ordered one. I ordered the front seat and rear cover with DTX vinyl; also got the heater kit. Will post back when installed and butt tested. Anything has got to be better than the stocker.

BTW- I've replaced seats on almost every bike, especially my Harleys. I haven't found a stock seat yet that didn't make my arse go numb in 30 min. I tried gel pads, but here in NM the heat trapped in a gel pad feels like a hot plate riding home.

I took the plunge and ordered one. I ordered the front seat and rear cover with DTX vinyl; also got the heater kit. Will post back when installed and butt tested. Anything has got to be better than the stocker..
Good luck with your order. Your getting about everything they offer. The Cadillac of seats.
Only wish the Sargent Seat would have fit onto my bike. I've had good luck with Sargent's in the past.
I'll be watching for your review.

Bob,

No, but I did send an e-mail to them explaining the issue with photos and that I thought the seat quality was very good if only it fit the bike better. They e-mailed me back stating they will try to fix for me....We'll see what happens so stay tuned.
Craig
It'll be interesting to see how they fix your seat to work with your body and your bike's fitting.
I couldn't get the Sargent to mount on my bike due to interference with the SW Motech rack and my luggage.

Well after a couple weeks riding on my Sargent, it seems to be looser at the front. There is definitely a larger gap between the bodywork and the ears of the seat front. There is more wiggling and squeaking than when it was new. Also, I've never been able to install the seat bolts as the holes won't line up. I didn't want to file out the holes in case I decided on a return. All I have on the back is an SW-Motech Alurack, with no extra washers under the grab rails.

It not the holy grail of seats, although it has it's good points. I'm leaning more towards a return of the Sargent at this point.

I did a ride with the stock seat today. Although not the most comfortable, for some weird reason, the bike felt sportier. :confused:

Also, I've never been able to install the seat bolts as the holes won't line up. I didn't want to file out the holes in case I decided on a return. All I have on the back is an SW-Motech Alurack, with no extra washers under the grab rails.

It not the holy grail of seats, although it has it's good points. I'm leaning more towards a return of the Sargent at this point. :
I had a very difficult time trying to install the seat bolts. The bolt on one side went in with great difficulty. The bolt on the other side was un-doable, would not line up enough to get the bolts started. Didn't want to cross thread the bolt, or enlarge the seat bracket bolt hole. I sold mine at a loss to a fellow member.

I had a very difficult time trying to install the seat bolts. The bolt on one side went in with great difficulty. The bolt on the other side was un-doable, would not line up enough to get the bolts started. Didn't want to cross thread the bolt, or enlarge the seat bracket bolt hole. I sold mine at a loss to a fellow member.

Production must NOT be uniform. I had none of those problems. The bolts all lined up. it fits pretty snugly, and it feels very good.

Well after a couple weeks riding on my Sargent, it seems to be looser at the front. There is definitely a larger gap between the bodywork and the ears of the seat front. There is more wiggling and squeaking than when it was new. Also, I've never been able to install the seat bolts as the holes won't line up. I didn't want to file out the holes in case I decided on a return. All I have on the back is an SW-Motech Alurack, with no extra washers under the grab rails.

It not the holy grail of seats, although it has it's good points. I'm leaning more towards a return of the Sargent at this point.

I did a ride with the stock seat today. Although not the most comfortable, for some weird reason, the bike felt sportier. :confused:
No seat bolts could contribute to looseness.

Back