• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sargent Seat, Pre-Registering NC700X for Seat Development

On week ago I requested an RMA from Sargent. I described the issues I had with the seat and said if they thought they could work them out, I'd be willing to try. The response thanked me for the details I gave and said they would be forwarded to so-and-so, and that was the end. Radio silence. Today I requested the RMA again, seeing how any resolution might go at a snail's pace.

Requesting an RETURN AUTHORIZATION

On week ago I requested an RMA from Sargent. I described the issues I had with the seat and said if they thought they could work them out, I'd be willing to try. The response thanked me for the details I gave and said they would be forwarded to so-and-so, and that was the end. Radio silence. Today I requested the RMA again, seeing how any resolution might go at a snail's pace.
Usually when you request a return authorization from Sargent Cycles, you receive an email response with a RA attachment. You then click on, open and print the RA, and you're good to go.
I requested an RA by email and received authorization in less than 24 hours.
You may want to check any communications from Sargent's. Just a suggestion.

Today they apologized for not responding, although they suggested their response might have gone to my Spam folder (it did not). They assured me the 30 return window would be extended while they try to resolve the issues. But no course of action has been suggested as yet.

I called and got a RA over the phone and shipped the seat back to them. They processed my return and issued the full purchase price credit (minus shipping) to my card within 24 hours after receiving the returned seat. I was pleased with the return process and time required to get my money back. I did not try to have them alter the seat or make any corrections.

I did not try to have them alter the seat or make any corrections.
I don't think alterations, redesigns, reshaping foam is an option offered by Sargent during a return authorization, unless you want to pay for additional services. Unless there are manufacturing errors or shipping damage. An RA is basically "return authorization" only.

I don't think alterations, redesigns, reshaping foam is an option offered by Sargent during a return authorization, unless you want to pay for additional services. Unless there are manufacturing errors or shipping damage. An RA is basically "return authorization" only.

I believe you are correct. One moment Sargent seemed interested in working with me because the NC700 seat is a new product that may need refinement (so they said). They said my 30 day return period would be extended while we worked through the issues.

Shortly after that I received an email with an RA number. So I guess that's that.

I believe you are correct. One moment Sargent seemed interested in working with me because the NC700 seat is a new product that may need refinement (so they said). They said my 30 day return period would be extended while we worked through the issues.

Shortly after that I received an email with an RA number. So I guess that's that.
I also explained what were the short comings of their NC700 seat, and they seemed interested in further information, but never heard another word. So I think there are only two options,
1. Keep the seat as delivered, or
2. Request an RA and return it for a refund, minus shipping.
I'm really kind of disappointed in Sargent's handling of this NC seat introduction. In the past they seemed a lot more interested in feed back, or maybe I have poor memory! Or maybe the interest in the NC seat is below their interest level in other new products?
Anyway, make a choice and you're done.

gotta put in a good word here.

I like my Sargent seat. It's comfortable, well made, and fits pretty well... for $300 it's still a good deal...I encourage anyone with an NC to give it a ride.

gotta put in a good word here.

I like my Sargent seat. It's comfortable, well made, and fits pretty well... for $300 it's still a good deal...I encourage anyone with an NC to give it a ride.
If I didn't have an SW Motech rear rack and luggage carrier I would probably be a Sargent seat satisfied customer. I had no problems with the quality of the seat. It just wouldn't fit on my bike. There was no room for the seat to fit with my rack/luggage set up. I liked the shape and looks of the seat, I just could not mount it and take a test ride. So I can't comment on the comfort aspect. I'm glad you're happy.

First Ride

I did about 120 miles today and think the Sargent seat is a huge improvement over stock. Slope issue is gone and the seat is wider and much more supportive. Worth every penny so far.

I'm so on the fence about keeping my Sargent seat. I have about a week left to decide. It's better than original, yes, but the way I see it, I paid $360.00 and asked myself today after a 200 mile ride: "would I want this seat on a long trip to Utah (which I'm planning). The answer is no. It still hurts, just takes a few more miles to hurt and the pain is simply moved back a bit. I'd put my Airhawk on it for any real miles, and if I am going to use my Airhawk, I can simply put that on the stock seat. I only wish I had a Shad to try for a bit. I love my NC700X, but I've never hated a seat quite so much as the stocker. I know some of you like your Sargent seat, and that's great, but it's simply too hard for me.

Butt tested my new seat last week. Here's my review:
I got the DTX cover for front and back with the butt warmer. The butt warmer has a wire coming out the middle of the seat pan. I'll install the controller next time I tear apart the tupperware body panels.
I added a couple of wraps of duct tape around the tang to stop the seat from rocking in the front mount.
The fit and finish is top notch. I had to loosen the 2 bolts at the rear and shove the back end down on the mounts- I had trouble with the rear seat latch releasing with the key. Since the new vinyl is still sticky, the rear seat doesn't pop up as much. This should pass after a few washes or maybe a little Armor-All along the rear panel.
The seat is stiffer and wider than stock. I like that it is wider, but I was surprised at how stiff. It was also 40 deg when I rode, so maybe after some break-in and summer wear it will soften up.
There is no slope and my butt stayed planted on the non-slip vinyl. Since I only rode to work and home, I can't evaluate on numbness until I get a chance for a pleasure ride.
The seat height is still the same as stock.
Take note- the rear "slip-on cover" is misleading. You have to tear off the old rear vinyl and re-install the new matching cover. I don't have the tools or time to take this to an upholsterer, so it may go back to Sergeant for a refund.

Overall- a great improvement over the stock torture rack. No regrets on the purchase except the "slip-on cover". I've bought many seats for a lot less, but since no one makes a pillow type seat for this model we're stuck with little options.

Mark (I think that was the name), the owner, president or whatever of Sargent called me today to personally apologize for their unresponsive customer service. But, I've moved on. I might get the return shipping for free, or maybe not.

Update

So a bit back in this thread I commented on my Sargent seat. My complaint was that the nose of seat fit poorly up against the storage tank(faux gas tank) in addition, the seat squeaked alot when moving around. I returned the seat but Sargent asked that if they could remedy the issues would I like one back. I agreed. Took them a few weeks but today I received the replacement seat and the fixes are evident. I haven't taken the bike out yet so I cannot comment on the improvement over stock. I doubt its going to be as good as my Corbin I inadvertently sold but I suspect it'll be superior to the stocker and it looks really good. I hope to have the rear cover installed by the weekend.

Craig20140507_163938_resized.jpg20140507_163930_resized.jpg20140507_163922_resized.jpg20140507_163915_resized.jpg

Butt tested my new seat last week. Here's my review:
I got the DTX cover for front and back with the butt warmer. The butt warmer has a wire coming out the middle of the seat pan. I'll install the controller next time I tear apart the tupperware body panels.
I added a couple of wraps of duct tape around the tang to stop the seat from rocking in the front mount.
The fit and finish is top notch. I had to loosen the 2 bolts at the rear and shove the back end down on the mounts- I had trouble with the rear seat latch releasing with the key. Since the new vinyl is still sticky, the rear seat doesn't pop up as much. This should pass after a few washes or maybe a little Armor-All along the rear panel.
The seat is stiffer and wider than stock. I like that it is wider, but I was surprised at how stiff. It was also 40 deg when I rode, so maybe after some break-in and summer wear it will soften up.
There is no slope and my butt stayed planted on the non-slip vinyl. Since I only rode to work and home, I can't evaluate on numbness until I get a chance for a pleasure ride.
The seat height is still the same as stock.
Take note- the rear "slip-on cover" is misleading. You have to tear off the old rear vinyl and re-install the new matching cover. I don't have the tools or time to take this to an upholsterer, so it may go back to Sergeant for a refund.

Overall- a great improvement over the stock torture rack. No regrets on the purchase except the "slip-on cover". I've bought many seats for a lot less, but since no one makes a pillow type seat for this model we're stuck with little options.

Did you have the time to install the buttwarmer already? I've installed mine. The temperature control unit flashes and shows its working... except for the fact that the seat doesn't really get hot or even warm... I think. I didn't ride the bike with new seat on yet... just imagined the seat would get warmer. Now I'm used to my heated grips, and they can almost burn my hands.

Did you have the time to install the buttwarmer already? I've installed mine. The temperature control unit flashes and shows its working... except for the fact that the seat doesn't really get hot or even warm... I think. I didn't ride the bike with new seat on yet... just imagined the seat would get warmer. Now I'm used to my heated grips, and they can almost burn my hands.

The heated seats dont get "Hot" like grips do. I had a Goldwing with factory heated seat and grips. Yes, the grips would cook your hands in a matter of 10 minutes but the seat is a warmer that you will feel when seated on it for 20 minutes or so. Give it a ride for more than 15 minutes. I'm sure you will feel the warmth.

Craig

Back