• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seattle to Vegas

NickV

Reaction score
Visit site
So a friend and I attempted an Iron Butt qualifier; we made the distance and time, just need to send it all in to the IBA for certification. Mods to the bike: Air Hawk, peg lowers, Rox Risers, and that's about it. The bike did great for a non-barco lounger, but I will be putting on a bigger windshield, and then investing in armor (bash plate, crash rails, etc) and lights since I moved Inland from Seattle. Anyway, here's my story and I'm sticking to it!

June 16-19 2016
Seattle to Las Vegas

Day 1
Act I
Bellevue to Yakima
I-90 to I-82
Cool enough for heated gear over the pass. Slight drizzle. Easy traffic due to early hour. No issues.

Yakima to Pendleton, OR
I-82 to I-84
Got lost due to multiple exits for WA Route 22. Rode around farmland briefly, sun’s out, no real issues. Clouds role in by the time we get down to WA Route 14 along the Columbia; winds start to pick up. Turning South into Oregon, the skies turn black, but no rain yet. Arrive in Pendleton. Not impressed. Subway for breakfast. Rain starts.

Pendleton to Huntington
Heavy rain sets in. Can’t see much beyond the next set of taillights on the road ahead, and it’s not yet noon. The road is almost vertical; we realize when we return in 3 days how high into the mountains we were. Not much to say but cold, wet, water over the top of the boots, white knuckles.

Huntington to Boise, ID
Skies clear out; bright and sunny by the time we reach the Idaho border. Great roads, easy traffic. Stopped for gas and an energy bar. Push on.

Boise to Twin Falls
Easy ride continues; nothing unusual. Ditch the heated gear and rain jacket.

Act II
Twin Falls to Wells, NV
Hwy 93
Turning South into Nevada. Still an easy ride through open range. The lack of traffic/buildings/people make the spaces between towns seem even wider than they were. Run into another rider in Wells, talk shop for 15 minutes or so. Not a lot of other riders out on the road so far.

Wells to Ely

It’s now getting into the late afternoon. Stop roadside to stretch and take in the view. Heated gear back on. Passing through epic landscapes, the sunset is amazing. Roll through a few towns that look like bad horror movie sets. Feeling a little out of place; a stranger in a strange land. Bike is running strong, no issues.

Ely to Hiko
Hwy 6 to 318
Gas and another energy bar. This is when conditions change; full dark now, into rolling hills that would prove to be beautiful on the return ride, but at night on the open range, it’s nerve wracking. Keeping it at 60 mph to conserve gas and give more response time if a critter jumps on the road. I see 3 rabbits and a fox (maybe young coyote) run across the road; a family of deer on the side browsing glance up as we roar past. Once we get clear of the hills, the road runs straight and true for miles at a time. So much so that the distance and exhaustion combine to give me the illusion of an oncoming car in our lane. It proved to be a car with high beams on that must have been more than a mile out when I saw it. I still hit the brakes for a second until I realize the distances and space involved. Pull over once at a wide spot to stretch and check out the stars.

Hiko to Las Vegas
Starting to get hot; heated gear off again. Amazing bug splatter on the windscreen and helmet. Headlight illuminates odd flotsam along the roadside. The road merges up onto US 93 and Vegas comes into view.

Act III
Las Vegas
It’s now around 0030hrs and the hottest part of the ride so far. Traffic is decent on the interstate. The city’s lights sprawl across the desert. We find out exit and work our way through town to the hotel. Kickstands down at 0110hrs. We work our way to the front desk of the Hard Rock Hotel to check in, disappointed that most of the restaurants and bars are already closed. We got bumped out of our room, but are offered an upgrade. It’s a bachelor party room. Not impressed. I call room service just to get extra bedding (only one bed and multiple sofas/lounges). Crash out on the sofa, too tired to get more than vaguely disgruntled with the hotel at this point (but I’ll never go back there!).

Day 2
Intermission
Las Vegas
Recovery day; slept late, reflected that they don’t play rock and roll at the Hard Rock Hotel (it’s all pop music with the trappings/costumes/set pieces on display from the actual rock and roll bands). Walk to Margaretville for dinner and drinks. Walk back to the hotel. Figure out how to get around the Hard Rock’s security walls, gates, sentry points, etc (took 10 minutes while running on a nice tequila buzz). Walk past a few folks near the “secure” swimming pool; no challenges there. Then, got into a bar via a back door. Mezcal nightcap, off to bed.

Day 3
Act I
Las Vegas to Hiko
More non-sense at the front desk; we loose about 45 minutes getting things resolved. Finally, we go kickstands up and head into the heat. Traffic rolls easily on to the highway, and I (mistakenly) think that we’re going to be making good time. Well, 10 minutes on the highway and we grind to a stop. It’s hot, and we’re not seeing any easy movement. So we start to pick out way North, weaving from the slow shoulder to the fast lane shoulder, until finally clear of the clog. Ramping up the speed, the wind pulls off the majority of the heat.

Retracing our path from the previous evening is an eye-opener. We’re in surprisingly green country. Not the lush vegetation of the Pacific Northwest, but not the brown that I expected here on the American Steppe.

Hiko to Ely
The long straight-aways and lack of apparent traffic encourage us to run at extra-legal speeds. I gladly sacrifice MPG for the opportunity to work the throttle. When we hit the mild curves and slight incline outside of Ely, we’re rewarded for the caution of the night before with the best section of tarmac on the trip.

Late breakfast in Ely and a chat with 3 other riders; one leading the other 2 on a more leisurely tour of the US. The tour leader’s main client was a Japanese businessman, living out his dream of riding a Harley across America. Ironic that the only other long distance riders we met started outside of the other Washington (D.C.).

Ely to Wells
Pulling out of Ely and loosing the shelter of the hills, we start a battle with the winds that will continue almost all the way to Boise. Harsher conditions than normal have me leaning the bike into the gale, with an occasional surprise when the wind shifts around. While in the fight, I thought that this section was the hardest we’d encounter. I was wrong. Oddly enough, there was a bag piper at the entrance to the truck stop we pulled into; a nice diversion from the weather.

Act II
Wells to Twin Falls, ID
The wind continues to buffet us, at one point pushing me back and forth across the road like I was on skates. Flags push straight out from poles, as if they are on wires and not held by the wind. It’s a truly relentless assault, and easily qualifies as most difficult conditions than any I’ve ridden in since I left Missouri and riding in hail storms. Luckily, we find US 30. This gets us out of the wind as we skirt the Snake River. Gas up in Twin Falls, and we press on.

Twin Falls to Boise
Staying on 30, we pass through small towns with names like Hansen and Buhl, and take a few more pics to give an idea of what’s to be found in “fly-over land” if you stop and look.

We finally merge back onto I-84 at Bliss, and the wind returns with a vengeance. My bike won’t maintain the speed limit (80 mph) unless I downshift into 5th gear and tuck as much as possible behind the windscreen. West-to-east winds are hammering us head on, and even Brandon’s big adventure bike is being shoved around. As an example of the strength of the wind, his bike’s ride computer logged a loss of almost 12 MPG during that stretch compared to our ride down.

We finally make it to Boise, and find the 10 Barrel Brewery (definitely will return!). A decent bite, a pint, and then we find a local hotel with vacancies and call it a night. The Safari Inn in Boise; cheaper, better, cleaner (and 1/3 the price) of the Hard Rock.

Day 3
Act I
Boise to La Grande, OR
Perfect skies and cool temps as we load up and head westwards. After the long haul on the ride down, our reference for saddle time is askew; we cover the distance in what seems to be an abbreviated time, but the scenery was also a great distraction. The Blue Mountains in this eastern section of Oregon are amazing, and what we missed in the rain on Thursday is made up for in excess today. Of course, if I had realized the elevation increase on Thursday as we moved up from Pendleton to Boise it’d have been even more nerve wracking of a ride, but the conditions then kept our eyes on the road.

Breakfast and gas at a truck stop in La Grande. Our waitress can’t believe that we’d make the ride just for the experience, and says that she gets nervous just 25 miles from home.

La Grande to Kennewick, WA
This was the most scenic part of the ride, and with the minimal traffic one that we could ride a bit more aggressively across amazing vistas: Deadman Pass

At one point, we come out of a turn and are looking hundreds of miles west to see Mts. Rainier and Hood rising in the distance out of the plains. Then we drop down, passing “run away truck ramps” along the side of the road until we hit level ground. Settling into a good cruising speed, we cross this section of Oregon until we meet with I-82, then hook north to Kennewick (bypassing some of the wrong turns we made the other day). Gas and a quick energy bar in Kennewick.

Act II
Kennewick to Cle Elum
Washington drivers and a slight increase in the temperature as we continue northwest, through Yakima and alongside the military reservation that makes up a large portion of the south-central state. Touching the brakes a little more as it appears that we now have more of a law enforcement presence on the road (that is, we saw 4 patrol cars on the entire ride down, and now 6 on the way back). There is a great section of highway from Yakima to Ellensburg where we could strafe the corners, gaining some altitude before dropping back into the last lowland before climbing the Cascades on I-90. Gas up again, and then the final leg starts.

Cle Elum to Lynnwood
2200+ miles of great road at this point, and of course it goes in the gutter as soon as we get within 100 miles of Seattle. Car accidents on the pass block up traffic, as does some roadwork. The quality of the pavement is gone; washboard roads make the experience less than comfortable. For the first time, I’m getting physically uncomfortable due to the road itself, but that could also be a symptom of getting so close to the end. Brandon peels off at hwy 18; I roll onto a frontage road so that I can stand on my foot pegs to stretch my legs for a while before getting back on the interstate.

North now on I-405. Usually, at the end of a trip, I’d rewind the experience in my head; however, the melee that is Puget Sound traffic won’t allow me that luxury.

As I exit the interstate one last time and wend my way via side streets home, the enormity of the ride settles in. 2,356 miles total over 3 days of riding. On what is considered a commuter bike, not an interstate lounge chair like a Gold Wing or full-size Harley. But of course, my boys running out the front door as I shut down and pull off my helmet are what really make my day!

Awesome post. Great story. Can't believe you didn't take more than 3 days. Almost 800 miles a day? That sounds pretty insane to me. Glad to know that the NCX can take that kind of punishment. The most I've done on the NC is 520 miles in one day. The scariest part of any ride for me is also dealing with the winds. I probably would seek shelter if I had been in your shoes. Sorry about your experience at the Hard Rock. You confirmed what I have heard about that hotel...it stinks. I am going to do a ride in the fall (October/November) and am thinking I might take 5-7 days to do the same ride you did except I might avoid Seattle. I have already been there, seen the scenery, and dealt with that traffic (and rain). Could you post a map of the ride you took? I will be starting from Yorba Linda, California but can make Vegas the starting point for the sake of your map. Planning on doing it solo unless I can find a riding mate that can take the extended time off work like I can.

Well, the first day was 1164 miles :cool:

As far as chain maintenance, I shot it with PJ1 a week prior to leaving and again when we got back. I need to tighten it a little, but overall very little slop or rattle.

Here's the basic route; we went over the mileage shown when we got lost between Yakima and Pendleton, then a few times when we went on a petrol-search. https://goo.gl/maps/8YMwyHcD1hP2 The return route really isn't that different from the route down, with the exception of running along the Snake River Canyon east of Boise. If you just plug the stops I outline below into google maps, you'll have what you need.

A major factor on the way down was keeping pit stops to a minimum. Find the most nutrient dense meal replacement bar you can find (we used the Pro Bar Whole Food Meal Bar) to snarf while gassing up, and run a hydro bladder for water. Be sure to watch The Long Way Around, The Long Way Down, this group: Five Parisian Girls Ride the High Passes of the Himalayas - ADV Pulse and don't forget to look to Grizzly for inspiration https://www.grizzlyraceteam.ch/

I failed to mention that I also used a Throttle Rocker; it was great for the open road, but whenever I wanted to slow down or stop I found that I was rolling the throttle while breaking, likely due to lost grip real estate and never having used a Throttle Rocker before. Once I took it off, I was stopping as I usually would without shooting past my mark.

Seattle is fantastic from now until near Halloween; after that, it's grey again. I'd run up the coast all the way to Port Angeles, then catch the 8 Ball Ferry (you'll need to make reservations) across to to Victoria B.C. Run the island for a bit, cross over to Vancouver, then you can either take 5 South through Seattle to CA or run Canada 1 over to my neck of the woods and cut south at Bonner's Ferry, Idaho, then work southwards from there. Depends on your time table.

Glad you enjoyed the ride summary!

Got my ride certification back from the Iron Butt! Official member #63971. The funny thing is that they send you a list of all the others that are certified roughly 2 weeks' back from your ride date. With the exception of a guy on a Kawi 650R and another on a Kawi KZ1000 Hardtail (ouch), it looks like everyone else did it on road lounges. There are a few smaller (1100cc) cruisers, and 2 FJR1300s, but I've got the only NC on the list for the time period...

Congratulations on your achievement. It's a small club, I think just 3 or 4 of us completing SaddleSore 1000s on NCXs and 1 or 2 completing Bun Burner 1500s. I attempted a Bun Burner Gold in April this year but did not complete it. It takes good route planning, weather, and a bit of luck with traffic. Way to go!

Back