• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sena bluetooth...AWESOME

Ed,

I got noise abatement type plugs. I tried ear buds, but I didn't like them very well. The helmet speakers worked very well while using the ear plugs; very little wind noise, but I can hear both music and phone conversation very well.

Ed,

I got noise abatement type plugs. I tried ear buds, but I didn't like them very well. The helmet speakers worked very well while using the ear plugs; very little wind noise, but I can hear both music and phone conversation very well.

Rob- where did you plug the "earbuds" plug into the stock SMH10 unit? I can not seem to see it on the pictures that are published. Earbud interface/connections appear to only be referenced on the "SMH-A0303- Helmet Clamp Kit - For Earbuds", not on the stock clamp kit.

Ed, I didn't use ear buds with my SMH10. I had ear buds w/ an MP3 player and was more of a hassle than anything. I've not used ear buds w/ my SMH as my helmet speakers work just fine.

Ed, I didn't use ear buds with my SMH10. I had ear buds w/ an MP3 player and was more of a hassle than anything. I've not used ear buds w/ my SMH as my helmet speakers work just fine.

Thanks for clarifying. I plan to order tomorrow. Originally targeted the SMH5-FM for the FM Radio but the overall additional flexibility, battery life, distance. Audio clarity, Etc make the SMH10. Worth the added cost to me. I have a tiny SONY FM/Weather receiver I use when working out. I should be able to use the audio interface cable to connect it to the Smh10.

Just to add to this thread, I needed to replace my failing starcom and was looking at both the sena 5 and 10.

However just before I ordered I saw scala rider had a new Q1 unit out this week that has dual Bluetooth channels, fm radio, etc and was £60 cheaper than the smh10 at £109.

Purchased that yesterday and seemed good on a quick ride today but will test in ernest on the work journey tomorrow.

Good luck. Besides the lowering links I put on, the SMH10 is one of the best additions I have purchased for my bike.

I've been happy with my SMH-10 for a year now. Speaker placement in the helmet is critical to getting good sound quality and having it loud enough. I use mine with foam earplugs in a Caberg Justissimo GT helmet and I occasionally have to reposition the left speaker since it migrates around. The placement in my helmet is in the holes that the chinstrap come through, so the chinstrap occasionally bumps the speaker out of place.

I will add myself to the list of SMH10 lovers. It was a little challenging running the wires in my RF1100 due to the way the liner is attached but compared to my enduro setup from Rugged Radio the speakers are downright tiny and sound a lot better. Being able to start/stop music via bluetooth is nice as well.

I like Bluetooth and use a bluetooth earpiece to listen to podcast on driving my car or truck to work.

Years ago I bought a stereo bluetooth set of earbuds to listen to when riding. They worked great up until the battery died. I know battery life has increased a great deal since then, but I find I am not willing to rely on battery life on a bluetooth system anymore.
My solution was to get a Motocom Riderling ST system. It DOES use 2 AA batteries, but they last for a year and I throw them away before they die. I also carry at least 2 spare AA batteries on the bike in the event the unit does die (leave it on accidentally for days).

This DOES sound like a nice setup for what it does, and the amount of time the charge lasts... but after my bluetooth died 6 hours into a 14 hour ride I really can't bring myself to rely on a Bluetooth system again. However, if there was a way to charge it while riding (and be able to use it while charging).. that might make a difference. That would be a good use for the 2nd USB charging port.....

I usually listen to podcasts, music, or audio books when I ride. It's great having all those options especially on a long ride. If I have to get on the highway for a long period of time (which I hate... backroads are so much more enjoyable) it makes the time go by riding on the slab.

I bought the SMH5 last year - mainly for use as an intercom to be able to talk to my wife. Being able to hook it up to the phone was a bonus, as was being able to play music from the phone. The only thing it won't do yet is connect to my GPS system. I've got a Tourmate SLX350 and so far can't get it to talk to the SMH5 despite having downloaded and installed the latest firmware which supports multi-point pairing and has increased GPS compatibility. It's not a major inconvenience since I often leave the GPS sound off - but it would be good to have the option at times.

Sound performance is very good up to about 130 kph, then the intercom starts to struggle although I can hear music OK still at that speed. I have a Nolan N91 helmet and the fit of the speakers is very good but the boom mike is a bit fiddly. The face plate of the helmet fist very close to my jaw and the mike gets knocked out of place easily when putting the gear on.

I like Bluetooth and use a bluetooth earpiece to listen to podcast on driving my car or truck to work.

Years ago I bought a stereo bluetooth set of earbuds to listen to when riding. They worked great up until the battery died. I know battery life has increased a great deal since then, but I find I am not willing to rely on battery life on a bluetooth system anymore.
My solution was to get a Motocom Riderling ST system. It DOES use 2 AA batteries, but they last for a year and I throw them away before they die. I also carry at least 2 spare AA batteries on the bike in the event the unit does die (leave it on accidentally for days).

This DOES sound like a nice setup for what it does, and the amount of time the charge lasts... but after my bluetooth died 6 hours into a 14 hour ride I really can't bring myself to rely on a Bluetooth system again. However, if there was a way to charge it while riding (and be able to use it while charging).. that might make a difference. That would be a good use for the 2nd USB charging port.....

I usually listen to podcasts, music, or audio books when I ride. It's great having all those options especially on a long ride. If I have to get on the highway for a long period of time (which I hate... backroads are so much more enjoyable) it makes the time go by riding on the slab.

If you buy the set with a pair of them, you can charge one while using the other, then swap out if needed. They charge from USB. That would also give you a spare in case one breaks or in case you need to take a passenger somewhere. Upfront cost would be higher, of course. Oh, I would also recommend staying away from alkaline batteries in your current setup. Alkalines are known to leak and ruin whatever device they are in. I would suggest buying some Eneloop rechargeable AAs and a charger.

I have a Shoei Quest large helmet and the Sena SMH-10 AND it fits in my frunk when the unit is detached. When I first installed it, it wouldn't fit, but I moved the mounting bracket forward on the helmet and now it just fits in the space between the battery access and the side of the frunk. Went for a 175 mile ride this morning with my wife and everything worked great.

The communication headset will soon get a standard format, either all 0000 or 1111, and then we can all talk to each other. It's not far off. Heck, in the not too distant further they will be a part on every helmet. How did we ride before Bluetooth? Lost but loving it.

it

I have the chatterbox, recently sent it back in for battery replacement. I was getting like 4 hrs of music on it. I need a Bluetooth headset that will last all day like our phones? I think I'll start a business that takes Li-on batteries in a flat pack. Tuck them inside the back of the helmet and connect to the charging port of your BT device. Ba-La-bing battery life x3. Now all I need is to post it on Sidekick!

While I'm thinking of great ideas - 1. How about a modular helmet with a custom paint job on it?
2. Why cant we get windshields that tint when its sunny and go clear at night?
3. How come our tires don't last as long as a car tires?
4. Why don't light bars come with lights?
5. Why doesn't our instrument panel show outside temp or oil temp?
6. Why oh Why does "Happy get everything free from his Dealer"?:confused:

Just playing everyone!:cool:

They do make visors that tint then go clear.i think its bell but.don't quote me.and the price was crazy

You can charge a Sena SMH-10 while using it. it makes it a little awkward to answer calls with the cord attached, but it works.

Back