• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SHAD Comfort Seat

Does anybody have any new updated opinions on their Shad seat after riding it for some extended miles? I think I'm ready to finally give in and replace the OEM seat. I tried to convince myself that the OEM seat was fine but after several longer rides I give! I understand that a truly custom seat is the ideal, but I'm not rich and don't live anywhere near (central Ohio) a custom seat make that I'm aware of. I'll probably have to go with ordering online and so I'm trying to settle on an option. I appreciate any additional advice/opinions.

You should also consider the Seat Concepts kit !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man do i feel dumb.all this time i never looked where the nearest dealer is.i just looked and its 50 miles.i may just take a trip.

Does anybody have any new updated opinions on their Shad seat after riding it for some extended miles? I think I'm ready to finally give in and replace the OEM seat. I tried to convince myself that the OEM seat was fine but after several longer rides I give! I understand that a truly custom seat is the ideal, but I'm not rich and don't live anywhere near (central Ohio) a custom seat make that I'm aware of. I'll probably have to go with ordering online and so I'm trying to settle on an option. I appreciate any additional advice/opinions.

If you order a replacement seat take into consideration if you want one that gives you more "traction" so you don't slide forward when you brake. I haven't had this issue myself, but there are quite a few who have. There are different seat covers available. I got the seat concepts seat and am very happy with it with the carbon cover but they offer other covers and one has better traction which people say they don't slide around on. I'm sure Shad has the same options in covers.

Man do i feel dumb.all this time i never looked where the nearest dealer is.i just looked and its 50 miles.i may just take a trip.

Don't feel too dumb. I ordered a Shad seat from my dealer back in April, still haven't gotten it. For some reason they shipped out the seats to individual customers and not dealers. Just as well since I'd still be waiting on the right color. Any day now for the past month...

I did about 400 miles with the original seat, now done about 300 with the Shad seat. I really like it, it really makes a difference on longer rides. I am quite impressed and would recommend it over a modified seat. It is incredibly well engineered. The rear seat does add a extra pressure for refueling, but with multiple uses it seems to be settling in, so not a big issue.

Gray back seat showed up today with a prepaid label to return the red one. Screw up must have cost them a bunch when you figure postage, labor, etc.

Took a quick jaunt to Yosemite to pick up my lifetime park pass before we head to Yellowstone in July. Wasn't impressed with the Shad until I got home and realized I wasn't sore. Just for grins I threw the stock seat back on and took a ride and then I figured out just how good the new one is. Things worked out in the long run after some initial frustration. I did do a modified Shad seat mod modification (1/2 inch spacers in the front, cut the rear rubbers in half and left out the rubber and metal spacers in the rear bolt holes) and now there is no forward slope or slipping.

Reactions: Mya
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Got my new Shad seat yesterday with the grey coloring. Gotta say, first impression is really good! It's well built with good quality stitching and colors match well. As for the seat it feels much more comfortable than the stock of course but haven't taken a long ride yet. I love the look of the rear seat with the NC logo and the material they used for the seat cover. I also don't have much of a problem opening the rear seat. Just a takes a little more effort than the stock one.
Only problem is I do still feel the forward slope similar to the stock one but not as much. However I might do that modification previously posted. But all in all it seems to be worth it's money! Btw shipping only took 4 days from Miami to CT via UPS and don't miss the truck bc u gotta sign for it!!

When you do the seat mod, make sure to support the front rubber feet as the tab on the new seat will break off if not supported.

Hey Capt.
Would u be able to take a pic of the front seat underside with ur mods. I really don't want to screw it up and break the tab. Just need to visually see it and I then i can come up with something similar to make it work.
Thanx
Squeak

And for X-man
I actually called and spoke to Andrew twice to verify they had the grey seat in stock and asked him to visually check it bc after reading some post on this thread about Shipping mistakes and delay of shipments from Spain I wanted to verify it before I ordered it. So for anyone buying this seat I'd recommend calling first and making sure it's actually in Miami before u place ur order.

Got my new Shad seat yesterday with the grey coloring. Gotta say, first impression is really good! It's well built with good quality stitching and colors match well. As for the seat it feels much more comfortable than the stock of course but haven't taken a long ride yet. I love the look of the rear seat with the NC logo and the material they used for the seat cover. I also don't have much of a problem opening the rear seat. Just a takes a little more effort than the stock one.
Only problem is I do still feel the forward slope similar to the stock one but not as much. However I might do that modification previously posted. But all in all it seems to be worth it's money! Btw shipping only took 4 days from Miami to CT via UPS and don't miss the truck bc u gotta sign for it!!

I finally got my grey pillion seat yesterday. I immediately installed it and took pics to post, but you beat me to it. I agree that the SHAD seat is MUCH better than the OEM for me. And I'm glad I decided to wait for the grey version as it's a much better match than the red one.

shad-rears-small.jpg

Did take the bike out for a decent ride a while back and didn't have any problems with the seat on the first leg of about 80 miles. On the way back it was a little uncomfortable, but I attribute that to me being really sweaty after doing some heavy work. So I'll probably keep the BeadRider on it during the summer to keep the air flow under my butt. All-in-all, very happy with the SHAD!

Last edited:
Here are the spacers I installed for the feet on the bottom of the seat to sit on. I also cut the rear rectangular rubber snubbers that the seat sits on in half to drop the rear of the seat a little. Seat sits flat now.spacers.jpg

Got my replacement rear seat and am happy I opted to swap. As you can see in the pic that dog posted, HUGE difference in the color of the lower portion of the seat.

Awesome thank U Capt. I think I'm gonna give that a try, but first gotta put a few miles on it before modifying it just so i can compare and contrast bc once I cut there's no going back.
And Dog.. Definitely agree, grey is the way to go for this bike. I personally hate white bc I can never keep from staining it!!

And btw Capt. Once u had the spacers in the front I assume u have to sit the tongue on the top of the insert not actually in it as u would before modifying it. Or do u still fit the tongue in the insert??

Last edited:
well, finally got back from vacation and was able to take a short 40 mile ride with the new seat... use to get sore after about 20 miles, but the SHAD seat seems much more comfortable... no discomfort.

still need to take an extended ride, but so far I'm pleased.

glad to see others are pleased also

Reactions: Mya
After over a month, I got mine in. The discount they were offering wasn't enough to get me to skip my local dealer who I ordered mine through (I try to order through them to help keep my local shop in business). I'm not really sure what to say... it seems their quality control is WAY out of whack. There's some fitment issues (gaps against the bodywork) and the rear seat isn't tight, it's just wrong. There's too much tension on it and it will break the key release assembly if used as Shad "designed" it. I'd be willing to forgive most of that, but it's got a more pronounced front tilt than the stock seat. I'm actually having a hard time believing that we're all describing the same seat. That just points to a huge gap in their quality control and consistency.

Their seat pan material is too thick to accommodate the OEM spacers. For $400, they absolutely should have included $6 worth of prefitted spacers. I'm not sure if my pan was drilled with narrower holes than others, but it took quite a bit of time, lubrication and coercion with a flat head screwdriver to get the OEM spacers to work with the Shad seat pan (it's more than 2x as thick). The forward cant is more pronounced than with the stock seat.

I removed the front stoppers on the rear seat and the rectangular spacers from under the front seat. That made a noticeable difference, but it's still just not quite right. The back seat now only requires a medium amount of pressure to close or open: this is still wrong.

Then there's the stitching inconsistency. The front seat looks fantastic. The rear seat has bunches in the fabric, uneven accent stitching and the pattern doesn't line up with the front seat.

Given that there's a number of happy people here with this seat I can't help but wonder if their QC is that far off or it others thinks it's a great seat because they didn't pay full price... or a combination of the two.

I'm disappointed. And keep in mind, I normally really like Shad. This is weird.

Back