• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SHAD Comfort Seat

I'm thinking of going for a different or fully custom seat. I'd be willing to sell my pristine Shad seat (not even bird pooped so far) with the white/grey stitching for $300 shipped in the continental 48 US. It's nice, but I'm picky. Shoot me a PM and I can snap some pictures.

I took a ride to the Corbin factory on Sat morning. Awesome ride down the coast and then shot over the mountains to reach Hollister. Expected to spend about 30 mins there as I was pretty sure the Shad was a good fit for my needs. I spent 2 hours touring the factory ,talking customers getting new seats, and a sale woman on their seats. If you show up in person, the literally shape the seat to your err.... shape. Once you say its fits, then they cover it on any options they have. Great policy on keeping the seat comfy for the "original" owner. (They have a wow factor and the experience - for locals, worked out to a science. Totally awesome)

The question, and why this is in the Shad seat discussion, is this. What is the guarantee with the Shad? The Corbin will shape the seat until it fits correctly. No questions. What if the Shad is not comfy - enough. Can it be returned for a full refund?

Last edited:
I took a ride to the Corbin factory on Sat morning. Awesome ride down the coast and then shot over the mountains to reach Hollister. Expected to spend about 30 mins there as I was pretty sure the Shad was a good fit for my needs. I spent 2 hours touring the factory ,talking customers getting new seats, and a sale woman on their seats. If you show up in person, the literally shape the seat to your err.... shape. Once you say its fits, then they cover it on any options they have. Great policy on keeping the seat comfy for the "original" owner. (They have a wow factor and the experience - for locals, worked out to a science. Totally awesome)

The question, and why this is in the Shad seat discussion, is this. What is the guarantee with the Shad? The Corbin will work till it fits correctly. No questions. What if the Shad is not comfy - enough. Can it be returned for a full refund?

For those nowhere near a Corbin factory, how would this " work till it fits correctly" process work?

Greg

After over a month, I got mine in. The discount they were offering wasn't enough to get me to skip my local dealer who I ordered mine through (I try to order through them to help keep my local shop in business). I'm not really sure what to say... it seems their quality control is WAY out of whack. There's some fitment issues (gaps against the bodywork) and the rear seat isn't tight, it's just wrong. There's too much tension on it and it will break the key release assembly if used as Shad "designed" it. I'd be willing to forgive most of that, but it's got a more pronounced front tilt than the stock seat. I'm actually having a hard time believing that we're all describing the same seat. That just points to a huge gap in their quality control and consistency.

Their seat pan material is too thick to accommodate the OEM spacers. For $400, they absolutely should have included $6 worth of prefitted spacers. I'm not sure if my pan was drilled with narrower holes than others, but it took quite a bit of time, lubrication and coercion with a flat head screwdriver to get the OEM spacers to work with the Shad seat pan (it's more than 2x as thick). The forward cant is more pronounced than with the stock seat.

I removed the front stoppers on the rear seat and the rectangular spacers from under the front seat. That made a noticeable difference, but it's still just not quite right. The back seat now only requires a medium amount of pressure to close or open: this is still wrong.

Then there's the stitching inconsistency. The front seat looks fantastic. The rear seat has bunches in the fabric, uneven accent stitching and the pattern doesn't line up with the front seat.

Given that there's a number of happy people here with this seat I can't help but wonder if their QC is that far off or it others thinks it's a great seat because they didn't pay full price... or a combination of the two.

I'm disappointed. And keep in mind, I normally really like Shad. This is weird.

I'm thinking of going for a different or fully custom seat. I'd be willing to sell my pristine Shad seat (not even bird pooped so far) with the white/grey stitching for $300 shipped in the continental 48 US. It's nice, but I'm picky. Shoot me a PM and I can snap some pictures.

I'm somewhat interested, but did you get a replacement seat from Shad, or somehow work out the issues with the rear seat fabric, uneven stitching, and pattern alignment?

Greg

The question, and why this is in the Shad seat discussion, is this. What is the guarantee with the Shad? The Corbin will work till it fits correctly. No questions. What if the Shad is not comfy - enough. Can it be returned for a full refund?

How do you like the Corbin seat? Is it customized to your shape? Does Corbin make off the self seats for the nc700?
I am from the Bay Area also and going to Corbin is an option for me.

Ken

How do you like the Corbin seat? Is it customized to your shape? Does Corbin make off the self seats for the nc700?
I am from the Bay Area also and going to Corbin is an option for me.
Ken
Ken, I do not believe that wukie stated that he got a Corbin Seat. He just said that he toured the Hollister facility and talked to customers and workers. It sounds as if he just went for an exploratory visit. Maybe he can elaborate more on his journey?

For those nowhere near a Corbin factory, how would this " work till it fits correctly" process work?

Greg

I have the same question as Greg. SHAD's seats seem to have the standard warranty stuff, but good luck finding any details. Nothing about a money back guarantee on the SHAD site, but I can't find anything on the Corbin site about a seat being "returned for full refund" either.

The SHAD rider and pillion seat set is only $325 + shipping. The Corbin rider seat for the NC is $347 and the pillion is $283. That makes the Corbin set $630 + shipping. I believe the Corbin may be better than the SHAD in a lot of ways, but at almost twice the price I'll stick with the SHAD. If I were doing any serious long distance riding then I might have to get a better seat. I found what I was looking for: a reasonably priced, comfortable alternative to the stock seat that didn't look too bad.

Last edited:
Ken, I do not believe that wukie stated that he got a Corbin Seat. He just said that he toured the Hollister facility and talked to customers and workers. It sounds as if he just went for an exploratory visit. Maybe he can elaborate more on his journey?

I kinda thought he had bought one too. Thanks for pointing that out so I could modify my post above real quick.

Choices/Choices!

I have the same question as Greg. SHAD's seats seem to have the standard warranty stuff, but good finding any details. Nothing about a money back guarantee on the SHAD site, but I can't find anything on the Corbin site about a seat being "returned for full refund" either.

The SHAD rider and pillion seat set is only $325 + shipping. The Corbin rider seat for the NC is $347 and the pillion is $283. That makes the Corbin set $630 + shipping.

I believe that you can return the Shad seat for a refund, minus 10%, if the seat has not been damaged.

I also believe that there is no such thing as returning a Corbin seat for a refund. But you can return to Corbin's facility for a seat redo to make it work better for you. They are very accommodating.

I'm somewhat interested, but did you get a replacement seat from Shad, or somehow work out the issues with the rear seat fabric, uneven stitching, and pattern alignment?

Greg
I chose to give it time and miles. I've put 1000 miles on it and it is better. The bunching issue went away. The stitching issue is aesthetic only and perhaps my main frustration was the bumper insertion (that was actually a pain in the ***). It's a good seat, better than stock, but it's not "the one". I'm not 100% on selling it, but the thought has crossed my mind a few times. Here's a pic to show the stitching lineup:

2013-09-02 20.55.35.jpg2013-09-02 15.57.37.jpg

It's pretty consistent with what others have reported being happy with. I concluded that I was being overly critical. It's still better than stock, but it's not as good as I was hoping it would be. I was spoiled by my last custom seat from Cee Bailey. I didn't realize that the real buy in with a fully custom seat was that you'd have to do the same for every bike you get after that.

Shoot me a PM if you want any more pics or explanation. I still just might talk myself out of selling it.

Last edited:
670CC, The Corbin online form will ask for rider styles, weight, height etc. They will make custom - to those requirements and ship it to you. (not as custom as in person)

For the "ride in option". They put a blank - uncovered seat on your bike. You ride it around. They bring out a seat shaper and he will custom shape - add, subtract, mold etc. You can order any combination of leather and stitching (style and color) - etc.

Once the process is complete and you are satisfied, you pay. So you pay once you are satisfied. They also will reshape as needed- again, works best for "ride ins". (online orders are for store credit - not cash refund)

I went to the factory under the impression I would get the Shad - based on value (price). However, I am now leaning to the Corbin. So I have not yet purchased the seat.

I was interested in gathering more info on Shad's return policy - if I don't like the Shad, can I get a cash refund. And go buy the Corbin.

If you are local, call them and go for a nice ride down Highway 1 and over 156... great ride.

If you are not local (or near a seat builder) call Corbin and chat to see if the online option is for you.

I just called Shad to ask about the return policy.

They will accept returns for a full refund. Buyer has to pay for return shipping.
wukie,
So are you going to buy the Shad?
The return policy is different than what is posted on their site shadseat.com
I hope what they told you is true.
Keep us posted.

Has anyone been able to purchase the Shad seat without the embroidery? I'd like to get it for my NC700S and don't fancy the NC700X stitching.

Not going to happen

Has anyone been able to purchase the Shad seat without the embroidery? I'd like to get it for my NC700S and don't fancy the NC700X stitching.
Not able to purchase this seat except as shown on the website.
Better get yourself a small pair of scissors and some tweezers and have at it!
You'll have a one of a kind Shad seat!

Been waiting two weeks since ordering my seat, getting a little frustrated, my backside can't take it much longer!!!!

Not able to purchase this seat except as shown on the website.
Better get yourself a small pair of scissors and some tweezers and have at it!
You'll have a one of a kind Shad seat!

Except I doubt that the X seat would ever fit the S - isn't the S seat a different shape and size from the X seat? I just looked on Shad's main site (shad.es) and they only list seats for the X and the Integra, they haven't done one for the S yet (and I haven't seen the same level of complaints about the S seat being uncomfortable).

Better check before buying an X seat to try on an S.

Back