• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sidecars

anglachel

Reaction score
Visit site
So I had a good ride with my wife last weekend (the first time I'd describe riding with her as a pleasant(ish) experience for both of us).

So as she has most of the time after we've gotten off the bike she got on me about side cars... I'd told her that Honda explicate forbids it in the owners manual, but she is relentless.

So I went to the internet, pulled up the cost of a new Ural, and she was outraged that I'd even consider spending $13k on a motorcycle sidecar combo (which is why I don't have a sidecar I said) and she was even more concerned when I shared me general sense on the reliability of a Ural...

So I went to craigslist and found a 1999 Valkyrie with a side car, 28K miles on it for $6k... still not sure about spending so much money particularly on another vehicle she wouldn't be able to drive, and she was less sure when I told her the gas mileage on a Valkyrie... ($6k seemed like a steal to me, and I wondered what was wrong with the bike to justify that price, but I guess side cars are a niche market.)

So I kept Googleing mostly to see if any one has put a sidecar on an NC, or CTX700 or even an NM4.

I came across a delivery request for a NC700x with a sidecar to be transported from Moreton-In-Marsh in the UK to Perth Scotland (I suppose also in the UK.) Delivery request was fulfilled, and positive reviews were given...
Quick Google shows at least one side car manufacturer in "Moreton-In-Marsh" The Watsonian Motorcycle & Sidecar Company

Any stumble across this bike in the UK?
I'm curious to see some photos, hear how it rides, and what kind of gas mileage (kilometerage?) an NC with a side car is able to get.

Sidecar

I too am interested in putting a side car on my 2013 700X DCT.
Some age induced and vertigo problems have caused me to research some ways to keep riding if I am forced to in the near future.
I also have a 2011 Ural T that I have used mostly for off road. The 700 is such a pleasure in every way that I would want to keep it since off road is not pursued that much now.

Jay at DMC Sidecars in WA has been particularly helpful in my discussions with him. He can put a car on the 700 but needs the bike in his shop in order to design and fabricate the mounting hardware since he has not done a 700X. You should give him a call. DMC Sidecars | Motorcycle Sidecars, Motorcycle Trike Conversions | Sidecar Frames and Accesories

I love my 700 and will keep riding as long as I can, but if I need it, a sidecar might prolong riding for a few yrs!! (I have researched Trikes, but much prefer sidecars!)

BudK

I <really> wish you didn't post the link to DMC Sidecars....I'm now having some very expensive dreams about a R1200GSAW and Expedition Side car!! ;)

sidecar-M.jpg

Boy - I don't think our beloved NC has enough under the frunk to handle sidecar duty. Would not want to be rolling in to the throttle attempting a pass and have - nothing....

Ronsaw, Good comment!

I wondered about this , but DMC has successfully put their cars on 650cc bikes. Their cars are about 200 lbs. There is added drag and weight, but a sidecar rig is not a sport bike ..it is a compromise, like all bikes... My need would be urban errands, day rides and occasional short trips that I would ride in the 60-65mph range.

My Ural has 750cc and about 40hp and weighs around 800lbs. It likes 55mph! With the 700X there would be no excess power but it would haul a sidecar nicely up to 60-65mph.. No, not much passing ability, but, just as with the Ural you have to plan ahead!

I am considering this ONLY for when I can no longer physically hold up/pick up the bike. Meanwhile I shall continue to enjoy My wonderful 700X DCT.

BudK

Boy - I don't think our beloved NC has enough under the frunk to handle sidecar duty. Would not want to be rolling in to the throttle attempting a pass and have - nothing....

I believe the answer would be to lower the gearing considerably. However that in turn would lower the cruising speeds. I would also have doubts about putting the stresses of a sidecar on a chassis that uses the engine as a stressed member.

I was told specifically the NC x is not suitable for a sidecar from my dealer and I think I read it somewhere in some Honda blurb . I assumed it was the 150mm suspension travel . But what griffs sais makes sense too

personally I think converting the NC into a 3 wheeler is a better option.
if I could no longer hold a bike up that is what I would do.
having a side car would be restrictive..parking,overtaking etc etc.

I was told specifically the NC x is not suitable for a sidecar from my dealer and I think I read it somewhere in some Honda blurb . I assumed it was the 150mm suspension travel . But what griffs sais makes sense too

Yeah Honda explicitly forbids it somewhere (owners manual I think?)

But if you never void a warranty how are you ever going to have any fun?

I was kind of hoping some one would have seen (or better still own) the bike that I found the shipping info for... because until some one actually does it (and of course tells the internet about it) we'll never know of sure how it can turn out... and even then I'm sure one side car manufacture could totally mess it up, and another could make it work fine.

Back