• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So I finally pulled the trigger

kebrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been a member this forum for a while and I finally purchased a red 2013 NC700X manual version. This will give me 4 bikes, 09 Versys, 12 Tiger 800 (Road) and 07 VFR800. All three bikes have over 20K so I ride more than I stay parked. A twin, a triple and a four, all with over 20K on them and note that all of these bikes have a practical side that dominates their personality. Minimal maintenance requirements and unfailing reliability are important when your at least 250 miles from home every weekend. And I don't baby them, just maintain them very well.

The NC will slot in at the lower rung of the current fleet as far as horsepower goes so it is an important test for me to walk my talk in regards to the balance of power, handling and ease of ownership vs outright horsepower and superbike specs. The big test is how it does on gravel/dirt roads that The Girl and I currently ride. Sure I have breakfast at Deals Gap nearly every weekend morning but the goat trails we love to ride on the way there are currently the most fun part of the ride, and the most fun on the Versys. The Tiger is more street and it has a smooth motor and plush suspension that makes it The Girls pick on most rides while I switch between the Versys and VFR. When we get to the extreme tight stuff she always wants to swap her bike for the Versys.

It is my belief the NC will rival the Versys on the tight mountain roads in spite of its extra weight and longer wheelbase. The "Test" will begin as soon as the heated grips come in. If it works out and I enjoy the bike it will be heading to Maine this summer or someone will get a deal on a low mileage used bike.

Dave D I hope you come up this way this fall. The roads we have found around here are spectacular.

Kimball

You bought the same NC700x I did last June (the red 2013 manual model). The bike will do ok in gravel 'as is' (I did a few rides last fall with the ADV riders in Indiana-mostly gravel); however, the street tires are not for gravel and you will have a harder time stopping than riding with the street tires. If you switch over to some type of 50/50 or 40/60 tires, the bike should do great (most of my riding is on asphalt so I haven't switched yet). I am going to be in Andrews, NC the last weekend of May and will probably do the Dragon at least once.

Wow, a twin, triple and a four is like hitting a grand slam! I traded a Versys for the NC, and I admit to missing the power and handling (my humble opinion) of my Versys. It had some miles and the deal I was offered on the Honda was awesome. The NC is a fun bike and handles well enough for me. Also, the Frunk makes it totally worth ownership. Like you, I have other bikes in the stable, so I get to mix it up once in a while.

So I finally pulled the trigger

for a second there I thought you shot the wife!!;)

you'll like the NC as long you don't expect ti rip ya arm off!

Congrats on the new bike. That's a pretty impressive stable you have going on. I envy that you can ride them all that much. I at one point a few years back had a twin, a four and a six occupying space in my garage but have since paired down to just the four until the NCX came along now that my wife rides. I just didn't ride them all enough and couldn't bear to see them become garage queens. So good for you and I wish you many safe miles.

Good on ya Kimball. I hope you enjoy the NC for what it is. FWIW the initial thought I had when I saw the NC show up in the UK long before Honda announced they would bring it to the states is "just what I want, an economical twin with minimal upkeep, Honda build quality, and adventure styling." I'm glad we crossed paths on 129 that morning. Besides Yellow Wolf I never followed anyone on the Dragon as smooth a rider as you. I've toured as far as West Virginia on mine and enjoy it immensely. I hope to make a mountain trip in May and look forward to seeing the two of you again.

I have been a member this forum for a while and I finally purchased a red 2013 NC700X manual version. This will give me 4 bikes, 09 Versys, 12 Tiger 800 (Road) and 07 VFR800. All three bikes have over 20K so I ride more than I stay parked. A twin, a triple and a four, all with over 20K on them and note that all of these bikes have a practical side that dominates their personality. Minimal maintenance requirements and unfailing reliability are important when your at least 250 miles from home every weekend. And I don't baby them, just maintain them very well.

The NC will slot in at the lower rung of the current fleet as far as horsepower goes so it is an important test for me to walk my talk in regards to the balance of power, handling and ease of ownership vs outright horsepower and superbike specs. The big test is how it does on gravel/dirt roads that The Girl and I currently ride. Sure I have breakfast at Deals Gap nearly every weekend morning but the goat trails we love to ride on the way there are currently the most fun part of the ride, and the most fun on the Versys. The Tiger is more street and it has a smooth motor and plush suspension that makes it The Girls pick on most rides while I switch between the Versys and VFR. When we get to the extreme tight stuff she always wants to swap her bike for the Versys.

It is my belief the NC will rival the Versys on the tight mountain roads in spite of its extra weight and longer wheelbase. The "Test" will begin as soon as the heated grips come in. If it works out and I enjoy the bike it will be heading to Maine this summer or someone will get a deal on a low mileage used bike.

Dave D I hope you come up this way this fall. The roads we have found around here are spectacular.

Kimball

6.jpgSounds like you got a stable of good ponies to RIDE !

SmileyHorny.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
We are going on a list to pick up a Grom this summer so the motorcycle cycle is soon to be.

Good on ya Kimball. I hope you enjoy the NC for what it is. FWIW the initial thought I had when I saw the NC show up in the UK long before Honda announced they would bring it to the states is "just what I want, an economical twin with minimal upkeep, Honda build quality, and adventure styling." I'm glad we crossed paths on 129 that morning. Besides Yellow Wolf I never followed anyone on the Dragon as smooth a rider as you. I've toured as far as West Virginia on mine and enjoy it immensely. I hope to make a mountain trip in May and look forward to seeing the two of you again.

That's what we thought of the Versys, a practical, economical twin that had a little versatility. Little did we know it is such an impressive mountain sportbike. I have passed plenty of high end stuff on many mountain roads with the Versys. Bringing the NC home today reinforces what I see in the bike which is a stress free, almost tranquil way to pass the miles. I actually used to find my Blackbird kind of a tranquil ride as well, even at 170 MPH, just because it was so refined and unstressed. The NC is a different kind of tranquil and it really fits the personality of the mounatins.

My favorite motorcycle engines are the late model Moto Guzzi 1100-1200 like those in the Breva and Norge and the BMW R1100S boxer. Both motors are alternately raw and relaxed but always mechanically tactile. I did a Sunday ride a month or so ago in Florida on a friend's Breva 1100 and that solidified my getting a bike that has a mechanical presence similar to those two. I have an extra tooth on the countershaft sprocket of the Versys and it has a great feel tooling along the country roads at 50 mph but has just enough high freq buzz to make it feel more like a rough four instead of a smooth twin when at higher speeds. I love the "pulse" of a twin.

The character of the NC motor seems to combine the characteristics of the BMW and MG motors with a more user-friendly interface. Time will tell if the bike hits enough pleasure buttons but I love what it felt like today.

As for performance, anyone who has ever ridden with me gets the fact I don't use acceleration to maintain speed, I just don't slow down. I have to replace pegs, kickstands and even exhaust pipes on my bikes due to excessive lean angles and I go through 8 to 10 sets of tires every summer. 1,200 to 1,500 miles is what I get out of a set of sport or sport-tour tires and they are completely stripped on both sides with plenty of center tread left, regardless of which bike I am riding. Bike weight and power make no difference in tire wear. So today I had the rear step out pretty good on the new tires and cold pavement and I loved how easy it was to get back in line. I think we get along just fine. And the mellow nature of the bike means maybe I won't have to change tires every three weeks like I did last Summer as I finally have a bike that will reward extended runs at low speed.

Thanks for the kind words Dave and I have some great Fast Wing stories for you next time I see you. A certain 25th anniversary VFR is the stuff of lore among the Wing crowd. The corner speed of the NC will easily surpass what any wing can do but it may not have the horses to safely pass on roads like the dragon. As it stands all my bikes pass safely on the dragon so I never wait on anyone but I suspect I will learn to follow on the NC. I learned last Summer that I have matured enough to accept hanging back as there were two Panigales on the Dragon that I caught but could not safely pass with the Versys. I was fine with shadowing them.

So it is always fun to try a new bike and I still love the other 3 bikes so life is good. Here is hoping it gets better.

Maybe a Deals Gap NC700 meet this year? Or is there one already?

Kimball

May is a busy month. The VFR group meets in May at Franklin, TN every year and our friends from Central Florida usually do their spring mountain tour the same month. The VFR rally is an especially good time with every type of rider covered. Donna and I put together a Fall Tour which is best ridden in the Spring.:) We start in North GA and visit a half dozen waterfalls on the way to Deals Gap. Great ride.

KEB

Last edited:
Back