• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sound from engine area

I am wondering if the starter motor clutch is nearing the end of its life ?

Nope. The sound comes when I let go of the clutch to inch forward eg, half clutch

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

With that info ^^^^^^........clutch, clutch basket or transmission main shaft bearing problem.

At 75000 KM.........and ........As loud as that noise is .......stop riding the bike, more testing and evaluating is needed. First on the list pull the right side engine cover for inspection of the final drive, clutch and clutch basket. Depending on skill level and tools available might be a dealer repair.

Last edited:
With that info ^^^^^^........clutch, clutch basket or transmission main shaft bearing problem.

At 75000 KM.........and ........As loud as that noise is .......stop riding the bike, more testing and evaluating is needed. First on the list pull the right side engine cover for inspection of the final drive, clutch and clutch basket. Depending on skill level and tools available might be a dealer repair.
It's actually not that loud. And when riding there is no sound. Only when coming to a stop I am able to gear it. When I throttle there is no sound.

It's actually not that loud. And when riding there is no sound. Only when coming to a stop I am able to gear it. When I throttle there is no sound.

The some clutch noise and transmission gear noise in neutral, clutch out on the NC is normal and has been reported and discussed on the forum many times. Your Video recording may make it sound louder than real life........guess your the only one that decide if it's changed or normal....or have an experienced technician take listen. So we are back to having a more experienced person listen in real life as the recording is not accurately replicating the noise level.

At this time it is very unlikely it has any thing to do with the water pump or coolant change.

Similar post

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...-250-miles-bike-2.html?highlight=Clutch+noise

This post below has a recording that most report as the normal engine noise, clutch rattle or transmission gear noise specifically with clutch in and out:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc750-...ormal-have-listen.html?highlight=Clutch+noise

Last edited:
At this time it is very unlikely it has any thing to do with the water pump or coolant change.
+1

Continuing my amateurish guesswork:
In the video the bike stands in Neutral and the clutch is released. So no movement in the secondary shaft of the gearbox and following parts to cause this sound: The source of the noise can only be from the primary shaft and rotating parts before it.

If when the clutch is pulled the noise goes away this means that the problem resides in the clutch assembly or the primary shaft bearings. Maybe some added play in the shaft/clutch bearings or some tiny metal debris (normally produced every now and then by the gearbox and generally caught by the oil filter) got embedded or trapped in the clutch assembly or so. When the rpm rise, besides changing any related resonance frequencies beyond the resonance envelope, there is also higher oil pressure feed&flow and this could stop the noise producing vibration/friction.

I am pretty sure it is not related to the primary transmission/crankshaft bearings/balancer bearing/camshaft driving chain guides/oil pump etc since the sound would not go fully away when the clutch is pulled. Pulling the clutch would change inertia of the rotating system and affect whatever tiny freeplay and maybe cause intermittent noise cutout or noise pitch change but not stop this noise entirely when pulled. Or so I guess.

If it continues I would have it inspected either by trusted mechanic or properly disassemble/inspect/reassemble whatever I could myself. There is always a possibility of big trouble/repair on the way if left as is. Of course it could always be something never found and gone by itself. Normally this high pitch sound should not be there.

Last edited:
Definitely have it checked. I pulled the other side case off and it wasn't hard at all. Don't know about the left side though.

Just a update. The sound seems to have gone away. Hmmm. Weird. Will update if it comes back.

My guess is that a some tiny shrapnel was the reason and it now resides in the oil filter. If no peculiar sound at all now and all is 100% percent back to normal, particularly regarding gearbox and clutch operation I would suggest you do an oil & filter change and just be careful over the next couple of thousands of kilometers for any signs out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Much appreciated input!

But I am still not convinced cuz the sound comes only when I engage the gear and half clutch. It also goes away when I throttle. So yea. Will monitor and see how it goes.

If you do the oil change grab the old filter and disect it to see if anything is in there

also install magnetic drain plugs just in case - they have saved people in the DR650 world from freed screws from this bike's NSU design defect

Last edited:
Did this noise ever come back? Ever figure out what it was? On my 2017 at 19K I thought I heard some of this noise yesterday after a more aggressive ride with high held RPM's in manual mode...

Every time I ride somewhere in the neighborhood for just a bit with my hearing aids in and no helmet (I know. Don't get started. I live in Florida - a free state:cool:) my bike is loud, rattly and clunky. When I venture off the island "properly" all is smooth and calm. ;)

Yeah... didn’t hear anything today ... maybe I’m losing my hearing and all I heard was my own ringing in the ears :)

Back