• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Spot Gen3 tracker price increase

Once you hit a reservation here in Montana you are out of luck. A lot of Montana is pretty spotty anyway of course.

I go with a combination of cheap tools.

I use google maps location, and if I know I'm going to be leaving good coverage I grab the HT (ham radio) and use APRS to broadcast my location.
Even my little 5 watt radio with a relatively small antenna can get a signal out pretty well most of the time (does much better in the car when I have a larger antenna and a ground plane.)

Some day I might upgrade to a larger mobile radio (50W max? probably won't run it that high on the NC though) with a 1/2 wave antenna (no need for a good ground plane) but for now what I have works a lot of places the cell phone doesn't. Maybe even something I can talk on through my Bluetooth helmet system.

Gave up on paying for the spot years ago.... wasn't worth it for the 2-3 times a year that the other two systems weren't enough.

I did get my inReach SE and set it up today. One important note is that their Website works horribly with Firefox. I wasted 45 minutes trying to get through the pages. Called their customer number and they were no help with the problem. Switched over to using Chrome and got finished with the setup just fine.

The Delorme SE is a rather clunky design, and the screen reminds me of a Palm OS device, but for the $200 savings over the Garmin product, I'm happy with the Delorme.

I don't know how Spot works with an SOS, but the inReach SOS initiates a two way text conversation with the dispatcher. I read you can describe your predicament and get the appropriate assistance. I guess that would minimize the chance of them sending a medical helicopter to the tune of $30,000, when all you need is a tow or some gas.

Back