• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sprockets

what next

Reaction score
Visit site
39791f3be2069f9e095990b96684e089.jpg
03740136b77ac684321a12abfa419578.jpg

So after 33,000 miles I don't think the sprockets looked too bad. I did replace the first chain at 11,000 miles. New chain and sprockets this time.
Still had some noise oops I need wheel bearings. 2 trips to Alaska in 2 years lots of mud and gravel oh well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good luck with the wheel bearings. Been waiting on mine for about two weeks. Back ordered.

if you've got the serial number of the bearing ,wouldn't it be cheaper to get it from a bearing dealer?

on my thundercat I replaced two bearing's for less than half the price from a bike dealer.
bike dealer's have a hell of a mark up price.

Bearings are one of those things where the price and the quality can vary widely. Bearings are graded and when you find a super cheap bearing ( even with the exact same number) suspect that the bearing maybe a lower quality.

Example if you find a ten pack of bearings on eBay for $8.00 they are likely not a SKF or Timken brand.......even if there marked With a brand name...........Buyer beware .........

A good bearing supply house can tell and show you the differences in the bearings. The bearing supply may also have multiple bearings that will function and fit at several price points.

Last edited:
when I had to replace the wheel bearings on my vw van the vw parts were 88 quid ,13 quid from identically marked bearings from a motor factor supplier ! I replaced my nc rear wheel bearings with all balls ,they seem ok 20000 miles on ..it was water ingress killed my old bearings and I never used a pressure washer ..even hose cleaning has been banned now !
I replace front sprocket every chain change and rear every other though the rear looks like it could do three chains

I will check Bearing Supply. I tried to Google another source for the rear bearings but couldn't find any. Right now I think I'm only waiting on the one for the drive flange gasket. My dealer looked and said there were no aftermarket ones available.

...My dealer looked and said there were no aftermarket ones available.

By "aftermarket" your dealer was probably talking about Tucker-Rocky or Parts Unlimited. I doubt that he was talking about the local industrial bearing house. An example of an aftermarket bearing that the dealer's outlets sell would be All Balls. The All Balls bearings are Chinese made ABEC 3 rated which is kind of middle of the road but usually the equal of OEM quality. An ABEC 5 bearing from Koyo, Timken, or SKF would be much higher quality. You will not know for sure where the bearing is made until you open the package. I would go by brand name and ABEC rating. Higher ratings than ABEC 5 would cost much more but not offer much return. The type of seal will have much to do with the longevity. A type DD seal would provide the most protection, but applying waterproof grease on the outside and on the axle is still very helpful for keeping the water at bay.

Regarding sprockets, I would not change a chain without a new front sprocket. Most rears can go two or better, so I change them every other time unless I can see wear on the tooth forms.

ETA 8/15/2015: On further research, the drive flange bearing is a bit odd. It is a double sealed angular contact ball bearing 22x50x15 made by Nachi of Japan. Finding an equivalent would be difficult.

Last edited:
I am at 3.5K into the 525 chain conversion on my NC and still have not had to do even an initial adjustment which is a first for any chain/sprocket set I have owned. The JT chain I bought has the exact specs as DID's top x-ring chain and it is as smooth an aftermarket chain as I have seen. No hint of kinks or tight spots. The JT sprockets seemed well made when I installed them though I only bought them because the company provided an invaluable service in the form of their catalog which lists the critical dimensions of every sprocket they build.

I am looking for 50K mile drive system life with the 525 set-up which is what I have gotten from other 525 sets.

KEB

I have 4 bikes in the garage and each one of them is testing something so miles accrue in spurts.

39791f3be2069f9e095990b96684e089.jpg
03740136b77ac684321a12abfa419578.jpg

So after 33,000 miles I don't think the sprockets looked too bad. I did replace the first chain at 11,000 miles. New chain and sprockets this time.
Still had some noise oops I need wheel bearings. 2 trips to Alaska in 2 years lots of mud and gravel oh well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I must admit that sprocket looks ok after 33,000 miles. I don't know how you guys do it. Mine looked nowhere as good as that after 13600 miles. I also use a chain oiler, but one way or another I look after chains well.

Back