• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stock Seat: Advice on how to live with it please

Fuzzy

Reaction score
Visit site
Three days, 536 miles and I already know I will be shopping for a seat upgrade. Lots of advice here on upgrades, but no one has provided advice on how to live with it in interim. So why don't we use this thread to that purpose:confused:

I will start:

If on a long ride and wanting to stop for a meal make sure they have padded seats. Sitting on wood, metal or plastic brings back the pain. :mad:

Your cheapest option is the seat mod mentioned by Mr_Krabs, there are threads on here about how to do it.

cheapest seat upgrade option is getting a seat concepts seat.

seat concepts.jpg

You have the option of sending them your seat and they mount it for you, I think that is an additional $20 or you can just buy the foam and cover and either install it yourself or pay an upholster to install it.

Seat Concepts - Products

The next expensive option I believe is the Shad seat, and after that a corbin. Not sure if Seargent has one for the NCX yet.

I got the seat concepts seat and am happy with it. There are threads on here for each seat, you should read them before deciding on a seat if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
I rode for 9 hours with about 4 breaks. It was a bit sore but not unbreable.

I think the seat is fine for 1-3 hour rides. Then again I may have more natural
cushion on my butt. I am about average in size.

Fuzzy, had a similar problem riding out to AmeriVespa in New Orleans (where I first met the MP3 crowd and was hooked). Anyway, I stopped at a WalMart and got a $20.00 gel waffle car seat pad. That did the trick for a temporary fix until I got back home. Check in the auto section of Walmart.

Must have to do with the riders posture. Those of us who don't have an issue with the slope seem to have an issue with our tailbone and the lack of seat padding toward the rear of the seat. Even with my risers I am still leaning forward slightly which pushes me back on the seat instead of forward like everyone else.

I am concerned that adding padding will increase the height which I can't afford.

As for simply living with the seat, changing riding position every few minutes helps. When my butt begins to get sore on long highway rides what I do is slide all the way back onto the rear seat. This makes me lean forward and greatly relieves the pressure off the sore parts of my butt. I'll ride like that on the highway for like 5-10 minutes and it really helps to get the circulation going in the legs and butt area preventing longer term saddle soreness after the ride is over.

I also utilize the rear section of the seat on my commute. It lets me stretch my arms out and feels a bit like a cafe racer position.

I got one of those ATV seat pads from Walmart a few years ago. Stearns A712BLK-00 Black ATV Seat Cover - Walmart.com
That would be better than nothing. Cut it down to fit the seat.

I went with that too. Eventually I will take it to Sargent or Russell. I've got to feed the family first though.

Also, since I've removed the pillion seat I can scoot back to the rear of the front seat where it's almost flat. That helps quite a bit. Having highway pegs allows me to find new territory on my butt and extend my legs.
Mike

Last edited:
Take the seat off , just 2 screws then put the front on top of the bracket. This raises the front off seat it helps. On longer rides I raise it up higher by putting a towel between seat and bracket.

Used to have a Yamaha FZ1 and had issues with seat comfort. A member at FZ1OA website has done a large number of seats for other members. MORE SEATS - FZ1OA Message Board has a lot of posts attesting to his prowess at altering FZ1 seats. I talked to Eddie about my seat issues and sent him both my seats to be recovered and the pilot's seat to be reshaped. They should arrive 7/9/13 and I plan some long rides to break in and see what the results are. Will also post pics with seats unmounted and mounted. Attached are my FZ1 seats Eddie did.

FZ1Seats (2).jpg

Last edited:
Give it time, both your butt and the seat will break in. I hated the seat at first but now I find it comfortable. Same thing with bicycle seats which are far worse. I wouldn't simply put the seat on top of the bracket if it doesn't look like it will support that kind of weight. I have two Corbin seats on other bikes and they are VERY hard. Both an aftermarket seat and the stock seat work best when you move your position a little when you ride, otherwise your pressure points will cause pain regardless of the seat.

For longer rides and touring i use a airhawk medium, on shorter daytrips im not bothered with the seat anymore. Like poster above said, it gets better with time..

Give it time, both your butt and the seat will break in. I hated the seat at first but now I find it comfortable. Same thing with bicycle seats which are far worse. I wouldn't simply put the seat on top of the bracket if it doesn't look like it will support that kind of weight. I have two Corbin seats on other bikes and they are VERY hard. Both an aftermarket seat and the stock seat work best when you move your position a little when you ride, otherwise your pressure points will cause pain regardless of the seat.

My take too, the first few rides I thought the seat was pretty bad, but it seems to have "Broken in" some and now is not too bad (maybe my butt broke it to fit the seat...) but I have raised the front up about 1/2 inch, which helped, but it seems to get better with more seat time....I've got about 2,000 miles on mine so far...

I try not to change out a seat (insert risers, bars, pegs, etc.) for at least a few thousand miles. I suggest riding it for increasing periods of time and work on building either endurance and/or physical adaptation. Most bikes have something to get used to and immediately changing parts and pieces may not be necessary and you never give yourself a chance.

I have to admit the seat did not really bother me from the getgo - I did a 500+ mile ride the first or second weekend I owned it and at 17,000 miles the Showkey mod of raising the front of the seat has been all that is necessary. Everyone is different though.

I started with a gel pad.then road without it for a month.took off on a ride the other day and put the gel pad on.2 miles out i stopped and took it off.the stock seat breaks in with time or i just got is to it.i don't slide anymore either.

How to live with the stock seat? If there is no chance to replace it... but trust me, I did everything, but my butt gave up. Or it was me, who knows? :)
Bought some gel pad to soften it, but after 60-90mins it was the same hard. Froward slope removed by putting some cushion between the gel pad and the seat, the position was fine, but it remained same hard.
On the first attempt the seat was cut out and a guy inserted a gel pad and put new cover on it.
No change at all, the factory cushion remained so hard, that the inserted gel pad was unable to distribute my weight ( I'm about 160 lbs ).
Removed the gel pad, replaced with foam. But it was only the middle of the seat, the other parts were also too hard and pushed my legs.
So finally the guy removed the whole cushion and replaced it completely with foam ( up to 220 lbs pressure ).

Now the seat is so fine, I don't even recognize that I sit on a bike not in car.
And there is no more need to make any modifications about the forward slope! Mine still has it, but I can't even notice it.
Previously after 60 mins I was unable to focus on what am I doing. It was a disaster, I hated the bike but I knew, it is a brilliant machine!!!

So for you guys, if you can afford it, replace the stock seat. If you can't, some kinda put-on thing ( gel pad, or another vinyl or leather cover with some foam under it ) will do the work.
So after all, I guess, I tried almost everything to keep the stock seat but it didn't work.
I'll upload a picture tomorrow about my seat.

Got a 1000 miles on NCX now, the slope mod helped a TON! but the stock seat isn't doing it for me. I came from a 2007 Sabre with the Mustang vintage wide touring seat, so I may be a bit spoiled :D I can roll about a 100 miles on this seat now, I'm hoping the Rox 2" risers and Cee Bailey's 22" ( will be put on this week) will extend that a bit more, but a new seat is definitely the next mod on my list, as in the next paycheck ;)

Back