• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stock Seat: Advice on how to live with it please

I never knew there was any problem with the stock seat until I read about it on the forum. It works fine for me :cool:

I never knew there was any problem with the stock seat until I read about it on the forum. It works fine for me :cool:

You are lucky! It's all about personal "ergonomics" :)
I could not live with the stock seat beyond 5 minutes. Ordered SC seat before getting the bike. Glad I did!!!

Rotating your pelvis forward moves weight from your sit bones to your thighs - good car seats force this posture. Raising the seat flat, and leaning forward do the same thing, but not to the same degree. This posture is also protective from the poor damping of the stock suspension. Additionally this posture allows easier transfer of weight to the pegs which can help with both relief of pressure points and quick response to abrupt bumps.

Rotating your pelvis forward moves weight from your sit bones to your thighs - good car seats force this posture. Raising the seat flat, and leaning forward do the same thing, but not to the same degree. This posture is also protective from the poor damping of the stock suspension. Additionally this posture allows easier transfer of weight to the pegs which can help with both relief of pressure points and quick response to abrupt bumps.

I just now got your screen name! yticoleV = Velocity LOL Sorry to derail the topic here..

Alaskan Leather sheep skin was not enough. Bought a pad at Walmart as advised. May not have cut it best. It helped some but not near enough. Finally found someone with an airhawk in stock at the Road Runner Magazine event in Maggie Valley. Put that under Alaskan Leather sheepskin and rest of the ride was OK. Working on scheduling a ride in to Sargent for final fix. 2,361 miles in 9 days and my butt is still sore even though last 4 days were with Airhawkand in my truck today.

I've done every kind of shifting/moving around on the seat that's possible. The one
that gives the best & longest lasting relief, is what I call "the side-saddle" method. I slide
myself either to the left or right, so that only one butt cheek is on the seat. The other one
is off of the seat and getting circulation returned to it.

After a minute or so, switch to let the other cheek enjoy some time without any pressure
on it. I usually do the switch 3 times for each side. Feels like I stopped and got off the bike
and walked around for 5 minutes. The relief lasts about 20 minutes before I have to do it again.

I found changing my foot pegs to the one inch lower ones changed my leg position enough that it took some of the weight off my butt. I have very little discomfort now. I also put two inch extensions on the forks so the front of the bike is taller and the slope of the seat is different, probably accounted for some of the comfort change.

I did the seat concepts which was a big improvement but finally broke down and ordered a corbin. It's due to arrive on Monday.

Amazing how many replies miss the whole point of the thread.

Three days, 536 miles and I already know I will be shopping for a seat upgrade. Lots of advice here on upgrades, but no one has provided advice on how to live with it in interim. So why don't we use this thread to that purpose:confused:

I will start:

If on a long ride and wanting to stop for a meal make sure they have padded seats. Sitting on wood, metal or plastic brings back the pain. :mad:

The road bicycling approach: Every year when I start riding regularly again, there is the seat break in space of time. I go out for a 10 or 20 mile ride, get home, and it hurts. After a few weeks, that feeling goes away, and I can go on longer rides.
I'm expecting the same phenomenon on my NC.

Now, if I win the lottery (which will be difficult, since I don't play), I'll buy the Russel Day-Long seat with the back rest!
Until then, I'll coun't on my body to adjust on its own.

Since I have different mountain bikes ( pedal kind :) I wear my biking shorts on long motorcycle rides ( under my jeans). Its a little nutty but I stay comfortable. Good shorts cost 15.00

I have worn these gel padded bicycling shorts for the last 5 years and they are a great help.
4eae9822-77d9-4ca8-8822-84be16267ab4.jpg

Many sporting goods stores carry them. Here is one: Canari Gel Bike Shorts Liner - Men's at REI.com

That said they are not enough for me to deal with the stock seat. My personal solution is to give up. I have an appointment at Sargent next Wednesday.

Last edited:
Back