• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stopping DCT equipped engine

The bike is harder to move in gear with the engine off than it is if you put in in neutral first with the engine off. That makes me believe that some part of the clutch pack stays engaged.

The bike is harder to move in gear with the engine off than it is if you put in in neutral first with the engine off. That makes me believe that some part of the clutch pack stays engaged.

For the DCT transmission, the default state is clutch NOT engaged.

I believe there is such a thing as fluid friction, capillary forces etc. that
they taught in my physics class that somehow relates to the phenomenon you describe.
The clutch is not engaged(if it were, just like the manual clutch, you would not be able to push the bike around with gears still engaged.

However, with the DCT, if you turn OFF without going to N, the gears remains engaged with clutch not engaged.
The slight drag between clutch plates will make it harder than pushing the bike in neutral.

If you have a centerstand you can see for yourself:
Ignition ON runs the engine. Put it in gear, the rear wheel starts spinning. Now apply brake, the rear wheel stops.
The bike remains in gear, clutch disengaged. Give it a little throttle, pressure up, clutch engages, the wheel spins.

Coming to a stop, it happens in reverse. but the bike stays in gear unless you shift into neutral.
IMO, the DCT seeking neutral at ignition and power ON is just a built in safety measure.
Even if you left it in gear, starting the engine will not engage the clutch; giving throttle will.

<snip> starting the engine will not engage the clutch; giving throttle will.
As I learned early on with my DCT...

I was at a stop sign one fine afternoon when a pretty thing walking by, glanced in my direction and smiled. I gave a nod and blipped the throttle, something I've done many times before on a stopped motorcycle (but never on a DCT equipped bike). Oops ! The motorcycle lurched forward, I grabbed the front brake and came within an eyelash of dropping it...:cool:

... I believe this wet clutch is the reason why you shouldn't use synthetic oil in this particular DCT. It's good for the engine but too slippery for clutches that rely on some friction in the liquid...

There is no disadvantage to using properly spec'd synthetic oil in the DCT (other than maybe cost)! I've been running Honda synthetic in mine with zero issues!

Oops ! The motorcycle lurched forward, I grabbed the front brake and came within an eyelash of dropping it...

I can so see this happening lol! I have a habit of giving a small 'blip' to the throttle while at a stop, just prior to moving off. I have always used that as a signal to the person I am riding with that we are about to move. Of course I always have a foot on the rear brake and clutch in while doing so, but I can see with the DCT that might become an issue. Glad you caught the bike on the way down!

Back