• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

SW-Motech Carriers and Aero ABS Bags Installed!!

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
After learning that the Honda bags required cutting of the tail panels to fit, I decided against buying them. I also have no plans of ever adding a top case and did not want that platform back there as I never intend on using it. I looked at all the options available and settled on the SW-Motech Quick Release side carriers and Aero ABS side bags.

I chose them because they leave a minimal foot print behind when the carriers are removed (and they remove in a few seconds with quick connect hardware. You can purchase adapters for a variety of bags (Givi, Pelican etc.) at an additional cost. My total cost for the carriers, bags and adapters what $718 shipped.

Here are the carriers:
DSC00424.jpg

Installation was pretty straightforward with the exception of the rear support. The forward and upper supports utilize existing attachment points. The upper uses the rear bolt hole of the passenger grab rail. The forward uses two unused threaded posts on the backside of the passenger peg mounts. That part takes just a few minutes.

The rear attachment point is an bracket that mounts to the rear fender. BUT...you have to remove the existing metal plate holder bracket. I doesn't detail this in the instructions, but the picture on the instruction sheets shows a plain fender (no plate bracket). It's not that big of a deal, but I wasn't expecting to do that. You do have to drill two holes in the fender to hold the bracket.

The plate mounting holes are still accessible and if you want to cut the upper portion of the plate bracket off, you can re-install the holder ( I will be doing this when I get my plates in).

Here's the end result:
DSC00429.jpg

Twist the three quick release bolts and you can see how little the mounting points stand out:
DSC00430.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

The 31L Aero ABS bags are made up of ballistic nylon covered ABS shells with zipper closures. You get a set of dry bags and combo locks. They lock onto the carrier and need a key to be removed (you get two keys). I chose these bags for a few reasons. Size: Not too big and not too small. To me, the Givi bags are just too big (wide). I also do not care for the boxy style cases that are out there. Shape and Profile: Of all the bags I looked at these had, IMO, the most complimentary profile of any of them. The texture of the nylon cover fits with the matte finish and texture of the black body panels of the NC.

Here are the Aero ABS bags attached:
DSC00425.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

Here's the inside. Cross straps on both sides. You can also see the wide panel on the inside that is meant for holding a laptop case in place. You can undo the velcro when not in use.
DSC00428.jpg

Last edited:
I like the mounting system and the quality look of them.
I cannot say the same of the panniers though.

But I guess they must be good.
Bravo!
:D

PS: do you also have a quick-release number plate?

I have the Givi PLX-R series on my VFR. They have the 3 twist lock connections like yours do. They are barely noticeable when the racks are off. Givi hasn't come out with the PLX-R for the NC so I'm stuck with the racks on all the time or taking them on and off.

IMG_0752.jpg

vs

IMG_2318.jpg

They do look good Tweak! Only reservation I have about the bags is the zipper. I'm waiting for delivery of the same type of side racks, but made by Hepco Becker, and if I weren't a little on the impatient side with regard to waiting for stuff to emerge on the market, I would have opted for the silver Pelican bags instead of black; but that would have taken an extra week. Ironic though, I was impatient for the bags and I just found out the Hepco Becker side racks are on back order! Thanks for posting the photos.

The zipper style closures are not my first choice either, but I like the style/look of the bags enough to overlook it. Another factor is the "tank" on our bikes. It's easy in/out for things you need quick access too on a ride, so I unless I'm hunting for a change of clothes, I won't be accessing the bags very often anyway. In fact, the bags would only be on the bike for the ride to wherever I might be going, the rest of the time they will be in a hotel room (also due to the functionality of the "tank")!! :p

Quality of the bags is quite good and they look to have done a really good job with the zipper. I know these bags aren't for everyone, but they are perfect for me. ;)

Thanks! I was dead set on eventually getting the Honda side boxes, but I really like yours and they are cheaper. I have too many choices to choose from (2). It will take me two months to figure out which ones I want!

Although I initially planned to only have them on the bike when touring I've ended up using them whenever I ride. The laptop retainer works great, I've used it for my tablet and my work folio. I know some don't care for the zipper closure, but it does guarantee that they will never pop open under any circumstance! ;)

Got several compliments on them at the Honda dealer while getting my chain replaced.

SW-Motech Carriers and Aero ABS Bags

Hey tweak ...

Now that's it has been a while since you installed the SW-Motech Carriers and Aero ABS Bags .... how are they holding up
?? both the racks ??? and bags ??

Thanks ..

Since this got bumped, I'll add an update. Bags have worked out quite nicely. They are holding up great and have proven to be extremely useful for daily riding and errands.

The quick release hardware is also holding up as well. Haven't has to adjust anything since the installation. Bags pop off in seconds.

Hi tweak89,

I got the same setup. Just waiting on the parts to arrive to install. I was going to install a tail tidy and aftermarket LED lights, but looks like its not going to happen with the fender requirements.

Does the exhaust heat up / burn the bags at all?

I am planning on a 6 months tour of Europe with them.....! :rolleyes:

I purchased the Aero ABS bags after I saw Tweak's sweet setup. I have not noticed any burn or discoloration from the exhaust.

Back