• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tail light sealant?

Mosh

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the tail light assembly off the bike today and discovered that it is pumped full of silicon sealant which is a bit inconvenient. I'm guessing the previous owner (possibly the police) wanted to keep sand from filling the unit.

Has anyone else found/done this? Is there a good reason I haven't thought of?

Was it sealant or dielectric grease? I would be very odd to fill it with an actual RTV sealant, but using dielectric grease is a common tactic to stop corrosion in the bulb socket.

Was it sealant or dielectric grease? I would be very odd to fill it with an actual RTV sealant, but using dielectric grease is a common tactic to stop corrosion in the bulb socket.

Definitely silicon, Harold, it's nowhere near the contacts, just around all the edges of the unit in excessive quantities. I'm still cutting/picking the stuff off now, so much for a 5 minute bulb change. :p

Intriguing!

Living where it's always raining, my thoughts of putting silicone in spots, naturally had me associating water, and then [*mind explodes*] picturing someone living where having to do it to keep sand out, had me :eek:

:D :D

Back