• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tank Bag Reviews

amwoolner

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I know there are a few other threads that talk about tank bags.

I think I have narrowed it down to the SW Motech/ Bags Connection tank bags... but not quite sure. And I'm the type that wants to have as much information as possible before I purchase something. I like the idea of the quick disconnect that is possible with the lock ring and it seems you could even open the frunk with the bag still attached. They all look pretty good and seem to be quality material.

What I'd like to know is if others who have tried, or who use SW Motech/ Bags Connection tanks bags, can give reviews and opinions, positives and negatives. If you know of any links to great reviews, please feel free to post. Also, if there is anyone who feels like there is/are better tank bag options (that are not magnetic), let your opinion be known!

Tank bags for the NCX are a big unknown really as it is so hard to find a way to attach the bag without permanently altering something, or compromising the waterproof ability of the frunk by wraping a strap under the lid.

smileyquestion.jpg

I know there are a few other threads that talk about tank bags.

I think I have narrowed it down to the SW Motech/ Bags Connection tank bags... but not quite sure. And I'm the type that wants to have as much information as possible before I purchase something. I like the idea of the quick disconnect that is possible with the lock ring and it seems you could even open the frunk with the bag still attached. They all look pretty good and seem to be quality material.

What I'd like to know is if others who have tried, or who use SW Motech/ Bags Connection tanks bags, can give reviews and opinions, positives and negatives. If you know of any links to great reviews, please feel free to post. Also, if there is anyone who feels like there is/are better tank bag options (that are not magnetic), let your opinion be known!

I know it's pointing out the obvious, but the quick mount system attaches to the gas cap on the tank, which we do not have. Is there something in particular you need to carry that can't be stowed in the frunk?

My goals on the tank bag:

No straps..............
Solid mounting.......
Frunk lid function open and close with no other steps.......
Quick disconnect.......
Map pocket........
Bag can not sit to too high that would block view or steering function........
Bag needed to sit on the down slope of the lid to give clearance.......

I know it's pointing out the obvious, but the quick mount system attaches to the gas cap on the tank, which we do not have. Is there something in particular you need to carry that can't be stowed in the frunk?

You can also mount the quick connect ring by drilling the proper holes and screwing it directly to the frunk lid. There's a pic on here somewhere if someone else who did it and it looked great. For me, it's about being able to easily store items when I have the need without resorting to lashing or bungee-ing them on. Also it offers the ability to put a map/ GPS phone in a viewable map pocket.

My goals on the tank bag:

No straps..............
Solid mounting.......
Frunk lid function open and close with no other steps.......
Quick disconnect.......
Map pocket........
Bag can not sit to too high that would block view or steering function........
Bag needed to sit on the down slope of the lid to give clearance.......

Amen to that list. Now the question is, which bag or bags have you found that meet those requirements? Inquiring minds want to know :)

My dealer had this Rapid Transit suction cup mount bag and it fit well on frunk. Came close to buying it, but really just want a map pocket and don't understand making luggage for a motorcycle that needs a rain cover. Anyway suction cup mounts are an option.
ReconSport_280.jpg

Amen to that list. Now the question is, which bag or bags have you found that meet those requirements? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Think this one is very close to the one I used:

Bags-Connection "Micro" Quick-Lock Tankbag for SW-MOTECH Gascap Mounting System - Luggage & Racks - Shop by Product - TwistedThrottle.com

The SW Motech DAYPACK is the one I used.........I mounted it backwards to better match the "tank" slope......
Think this is the updated Daypack II:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags...-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system

Last edited:
My dealer had this Rapid Transit suction cup mount bag and it fit well on frunk. Came close to buying it, but really just want a map pocket and don't understand making luggage for a motorcycle that needs a rain cover. Anyway suction cup mounts are an option.
ReconSport_280.jpg

I haven't seen the suction cup mount bags yet. That's worth looking into, of course it would need some kind of strap for a backup in case the suction cups failed.

What I really need most is something to put my camelbak in while riding. If you ride distance and don't stop except for fuel, you NEED some means of hydrating while riding. I don't really want that source behind me as I'd have to have the tube routed around one of my sides. I'd rather have it up front and have the tube easily accessible. With a camelbak tube you can ride in a full face (not modular) and still be able to drink.

camelbak.jpg

I'm still looking as well. I really wish Honda would step up and provide an a tank bag for us NC guys lol. UGHHH

I haven't seen the suction cup mount bags yet. That's worth looking into, of course it would need some kind of strap for a backup in case the suction cups failed.

What I really need most is something to put my camelbak in while riding. If you ride distance and don't stop except for fuel, you NEED some means of hydrating while riding. I don't really want that source behind me as I'd have to have the tube routed around one of my sides. I'd rather have it up front and have the tube easily accessible. With a camelbak tube you can ride in a full face (not modular) and still be able to drink.

View attachment 6140

I have the rapid transit bag and carry a small Camel Back in it during summer.

With the "new and improved" 2016 frunk lid that has rails I'm hoping for a smallish bag that I can put in a Camelback or similar hydration bladder; in a separate area (from the bladder) have storage for a small camera system (mirrorless body plus extra lens and few small accessories); and on the top have a place for a paper map (already have RAM mount for cellphone). It should also have a rain cover similar to the way some Lowepro camera bags do. It should also be able to added/removed quickly and leave the frunk lid completely operational.

Now is that such a tall order?!! I've seen a few come really close, but I guess that unless I see someone here with it mounted I will need to test it out to see how the straps work with the rails etc.

I think the rails are a great idea, but it would have been nice to see either a Honda option for a tank bag, or a 3rd party mounting system that takes advantage of them.

for me the tank bag would be a nuisance as i often open the frunk as far as it'll go while still seated. but i get why some really want one...

I think this would be a great way to securely attach a tank bag to the NC.
Check out this link
Givi TankLock Mount - Motorcycle Superstore

If an adapter was made so that this locking ring would properly conform to the shape of the Frunk lid, it could be permanently secured to the lid and the appropriate tank bag could then be simply locked to the lid with no straps at all.
Yes you'd have to drill some small holes for the mounting bolts, but they could be easily sealed against moisture entry.
If I were interested in a tank bag, which I am not, this would my preferred method.

I think this would be a great way to securely attach a tank bag to the NC.
Check out this link
Givi TankLock Mount - Motorcycle Superstore

If an adapter was made so that this locking ring would properly conform to the shape of the Frunk lid, it could be permanently secured to the lid and the appropriate tank bag could then be simply locked to the lid with no straps at all.
Yes you'd have to drill some small holes for the mounting bolts, but they could be easily sealed against moisture entry.
If I were interested in a tank bag, which I am not, this would my preferred method.

I know I saw where someone had used this mount on their NCX a year or two ago (maybe more). I'm not sure how to find the thread but this has been done using this adapter and they were happy with the results

I haven't seen a 2016 and prior side-by-side to compare, but I wonder if I can purchase a 2016 frunk lid to replace my 2014 frunk lid. Sure would be nice to have those rails on my lid.

Anyone know if they're interchangeable?

I really doubt it. The funck size changed and the outer plastics have too. I thought the older style givi rear pannier brackets would fit my '16, but they even changed (widened) the rear plastics. Sorry.

Back