• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Think I have the MPG thing figured out

I commute 60 miles one way 58 is freeway 20 of that is mountain pass I have the Honda side cases and bark busters adding to the wind resistance, but I think head wind is going to make the biggest difference, I leave my house for work at 3am and I've noticed the cold makes a big difference

I've gotten anywhere from 60-80 MPG on my commute. Check your tire pressure often keep your chain clean and oiled. I ordered a sprocket set and chain a few days ago I went down to a 41 tooth in the rear, bring those rpm's down a little on the freeway

I've only had my 700 for about 6 weeks and am still learning where he power curve is. I dropped it into 6th gear several times at below 3K rpm and it seems to flutter, lugging. With the various gears I find that 3K to 3200 rpm is the range for 6th gear with engine running smooth. Any incline I drop to 5th quickly. Most of my riding around here is 3rd, 4th and some 5th gear. I have a taller windscreen which I like but no saddlebags or trunk. And I run 10% ethanol in it. I'm getting 65 to 70 mpg. Wind does affect mpg and we've had plenty of that lately. Saturday I'm riding with a group for about 220 mile round trip so I will get a better look at the gas mileage. Don't know if my butt can handle that as it is not the most comfortable bike I've sat on. Well below my Valkyrie. So If I can get off it after Saturday's ride, I'll call it a success. Usually about 1 1/2 hours and I need to stretch. Old rear end is use to those cruisers saddle. I'll have to toughen it up for the 700. My Valkyrie gets good mileage considering its weight and HP as long as you keep it around 3K rpm to 3500. Over that those 6 carbs just love that juice.

Try putting a tusk riser on the handle bars makes a big difference even on butt comfort, only 20 bucks and a five minute install

72-75 mph from Riding into history at St. Augustine back to Daytona on 95. 72mpg. Worst fill up was 69mpg when I was winging it out in every gear.

72-75 mph from Riding into history at St. Augustine back to Daytona on 95. 72mpg. Worst fill up was 69mpg when I was winging it out in every gear.
I'm pretty sure I met you last Saturday morning at John Anderson & Walter Boardman and followed you south into Bulow State Park on Old Dixie (Tomoka Trail).

Yeesh

My little trip last week, my average was 58.9 US mpg over 3 days.

And this isn't counting the last tank fill up, where a lot of the time was above 150kph trying to make the Ferry back to the mainland...:eek:

My first lcd block usually blinks out at about +/- 62 miles, and from that tank, it disappeared at 32 miles :eek:

I'm sure that one will end up at or below the 50 mpg mark.

Having said that, my buddy on his Super Ten spent nearly double in fuel cost, between using more and having to buy the expensive higher octane stuff. :D

Yeesh

My little trip last week, my average was 58.9 US mpg over 3 days.

And this isn't counting the last tank fill up, where a lot of the time was above 150kph trying to make the Ferry back to the mainland...:eek:

My first lcd block usually blinks out at about +/- 62 miles, and from that tank, it disappeared at 32 miles :eek:

I'm sure that one will end up at or below the 50 mpg mark.

Having said that, my buddy on his Super Ten spent nearly double in fuel cost, between using more and having to buy the expensive higher octane stuff. :D
That's not bad, my average is 53 mpg for 40,000 miles. The headwind is so strong for 15 miles of my cummute that I've often ridden with the throttle pinned or have had to shift down to 5th gear to maintain cruising speed. The leftover 25 miles include more highway, a couple of stops, and a road through a canyon before I reach work. My best if 58 mpg along the same route but only if I maintain an average highway speed of 70 mph to work and 60 mph from work. A bit of a pain however.

Last edited:
I'm averaging 68.5mpg here in the Smoky Mtns. We do a lot of curvy back roads, changing roads quite often. Our avg. speed on these would be about 40mph. I have run these roads and included some interstate at 70 to 75 and still avg. about the same. The best I have gotten is 80 mph and the worst is 66.5 mph. A lot depends on the wind, what your bike is loaded with, the size windscreen and how you use the throttle. If I'm in a playful mood I crank it up knowing I won't get 80 mph. I carry cloth saddle bags with a touring windscreen. I both the bike with 6500 miles on it and it has over 11K, all of this in 5 months. I would say at 2 to 3K your bike is broken in and limbered up. To me the NC is one of the hardest bikes I've ever owned to fill up to the brim. And that can make a difference in your mileage as well.

One of my coworkers has the CTX, and he regularly gets 80 mpg on his bike, however he has a 25 mile commute on country roads where the speed limit is 50, and he hits a grand total of three stoplights. I am guessing 50 mph in sixth gear is your best gas milage situation. Even speeds and high gearing on flat roads is the key.

Flat roads are not a part of my world :) My commute and my typical ride are on hilly and curvy roads, so spend most of the time in 4th and 5th gear, at around 3000 rpm so that I have reserve torque. I put a windshield on my NC700, and riding in mostly 4th gear, I was still getting 67mpg. I always ran regular gas (with 10% ethanol), so decided to see what a difference running super would make. Wow, running super gave me a 6 mpg gain (73mpg), which dramatically eased the price difference, and my engine is much happier running super. Regular gas in the northeast is rather dirty, so you end up spending money on fuel additives to clean your fuel system anyway, so I am ok with spending a little extra on super which already has the additives in it (at least where I buy gas). Your milage may vary (literally)

extra octane does nothing but cost you extra money...nc700 designed to run well on 87 octane...octane rating is for measuring anti knock ...nothing else.

jburbridge is correct in that all octane gases have additives. Where you run into trouble is with the ethanol blend gas if the bike sets up you can get a little crud in the gas system. However, if a fuel injected system, if you ride every or almost every day you should get no varnish in the fuel system. Carbs have more problems with this than fuel injection systems. If the bike was set up from the factory to operate on 87 octane going higher octane does not improve the bike. However, if it was set up to run 93 octane and you put 87 in it you can definitely tell the difference in performance. My cruiser is a Honda Valkyrie, 6 carbs. and runs on 87 octane.

i've figured out the MPG thing too .. constantly flooring the NC700X average 50 MPG > driving like a grand pa for 70 MPG

compared to my FJ cruiser @ 9 MPG I will floor this bike off every red light, its got 54 horses and i put each one of them to use

I'm sure this has been posted in another thread and discussed a great deal, but can someone tell me the basic milage differences between the standard and DCT versions? I am just curious....

I'm sure this has been posted in another thread and discussed a great deal, but can someone tell me the basic milage differences between the standard and DCT versions? I am just curious....

Mechanically I can't see why there would be any difference in mileage between the two. Nonetheless, I consistently outdid the DCTs on our day runs at KSL7 (not that it was actually a completion, rather just an observation). The DCT owners simply stated that, in their experiences, the manual gets a little better mileage than the DCT. The only reason I can find is it's the gear choices made by the computer vs the human.

It would be interesting to have a side by side comparison on the same ride, including switching riders to account for variables in throttle operation and acceleration behavior.

Last edited:
Back