• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Those little plastic button fasteners ...

KGround

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there some way to remove them so they can be reused, or are they intended to be for one time use only ?
And while we are on the subject, even if they are one time what is the best way to get them off without damaging the bodywork?

I guess they probably saved maybe as much as $100 per machine when you include labor by using these cheap POS instead of real screws, and maybe they are less likely to rust in place and be hard to remove like the plated steel screws they would have used instead, since stainless hardware would have cost another few dollars. I admit it, one consideration in my purchase of this machine was its relatively low cost, but on the other hand I don't mind paying a little more where it makes for longer life or easier servicablity. And I'll bet they use these plastic fasteners on the more expensive models as well...

I agree with you (but we don't need to go into that). They are re-useable. To remove them, all you have to do is push in the center and it will pop up. I can do it with thin fingernails. To get them ready to re-use, just gently part the two little fingers on the bottom, push the center button up, and reinsert. It will lock in. Sure they're cheap, but they do work.

I use a short flat blade screw driver to push in the slot which allows them to be taken out and then when out, push them down on a hard flat surface so that they can be reused

They are indeed reusable .......... most of the ones on my 8 year old ST1300 are original and they have been removed many times. They are light, never corrode, and a screwdriver will never slip and scratch the paint when removing or installing them. What's not to like?

Every modern car in the last tens years have a variety of these clips...........they are a standard of the industry.

From a manufacturing view point they have a quick no tool install plus everything Dave said ^^^^^^^^^^^

I like them a lot, but I like the Yamaha version better. So, as I lose them I have replaced them with the Yamaha versions that I already had a stock of from my days as a TMax owner. On each entry, my old arthritic fingers always seem to manage to let one go into the deep inner recesses of the fairing, or it goes popping along the floor into that place in the garage that only spiders know how to get into.

I like them a lot, but I like the Yamaha version better. So, as I lose them I have replaced them with the Yamaha versions that I already had a stock of from my days as a TMax owner. On each entry, my old arthritic fingers always seem to manage to let one go into the deep inner recesses of the fairing, or it goes popping along the floor into that place in the garage that only spiders know how to get into.

You don't have a personal black hole? Whenever I'm working in the garage, my personal black hole hangs out next to me like a faithful dog and catches all the screws, nuts and washers I drop. I never see them again.

OK.. where do I get more of them to replace the one I destroyed taking it out?
I bet you can't buy them at the auto store yet.

They are perfect for their application, but they are new and DIFFERENT.
That makes old timers (me) not like them much. (Simply because us old guys have no experience working with them, and old guys tend not to like things that negate their experience. In my case, it's all I have.)

The one I wrecked holds the left fake air duct down. I'm not sure you can get under that one to pinch it to release it.... so not much choice that time.... but it doesn't seem mission critical. The plastic duct stays in place with the one real screw that binds it just fine. I'll leave that one the way it is.

The plastic clip fasteners are quick, need no tools (if you have good fingernails), and are totally reusable.

The USA NC700X owner's manual page 71 has illustrated instructions on how to operate the clips.

Greg

They are perfect for their application, but they are new and DIFFERENT.
That makes old timers (me) not like them much. (Simply because us old guys have no experience working with them, and old guys tend not to like things that negate their experience. In my case, it's all I have.)

The one I wrecked holds the left fake air duct down. I'm not sure you can get under that one to pinch it to release it.... so not much choice that time.... but it doesn't seem mission critical. The plastic duct stays in place with the one real screw that binds it just fine. I'll leave that one the way it is.

They are called Trim Clips

Part # 022 (90683-GAZ-003)

MotoSport Hillsboro - Honda Suzuki Kawasaki KTM & Used Motorcycles - Beaverton Portland Oregon

$2.94 each at that site. Kinda spendy, but if you search that part number you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere. I would consider that a cheap lesson to be learned and leave it at that.

They are designed to be easy to do/undo without tools, and if you don't eff them up, they are virtually infinitely reusable. (which is more than I can say about some of the metal fasteners I've had die on me over the years...)

The faux air duct one is very easy to remove & reinstall without tools or weird rituals/animal sacrifices, so just have more patience when diddling with it, and have a really good look at it when doing so. Knowing exactly how they work is also half the battle.

I didn't like them at first either, mostly because I anticipated them wearing out or becoming brittle after a few years. Fingers crossed that won't be the case. Once you figure them out, they are quite easy to use.

I thought the same when I first encountered them, specifically the one locking down the little compartment at the bottom of the trunk. But once I realized I could pop it open with the tip of the ignition key and reset it on any hard surface, I came to see them in a new light. Also, Honda only uses them judiciously, on unstressed plastic to plastic joints or seams, which makes them totally appropriate.
The negatives are a surprisingly high replacement cost and the possibility that in time they'll grow brittle. Perhaps the Yamaha ones that Beemerphile mentions are worth looking into for the spares box. When fitting the SW Motech racks I learnt the (very) hard way how objects dropped into the fairing, or in my case straight down behind the cylinder heads when the seat is off the bike, don't usually fall right through. Fortunately I have fairly small hands. A few spares are a VERY good idea.

Your local dealer or the internet OEM parts sources

You are still not getting this Strat. You push the center from the top side to disengage. No bottom access required. Perfect for blind fasteners.

My frunk clip touched up with paint so I can see it at the bottom of a dark frunk.
27xp9ac.jpg

s0vaer.jpg

I seem to consume plastic rivets quicker than a Cajun consumes gumbo. So here is my solution.

Clips.jpg

Any dealership can get them though Tucker Rocky.

Last edited:
Back