• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

"Throw Over" Saddle Bags

OneGun

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have the OEM Honda Trunk with the braket/holder already installed on my NC. However, budget constraints will likely prevent me from completing this set this year with the Honda saddlebags. So I'm trying to find a cheap set of "Throw Over" saddle bags that are of relatively good quality, offer some (if not complete) water protection, at a decent price (~$200ish), and ones that will work with my OEM trunk installed. They don't have to be hard bags.

Tall order I know, but I figured the gurus on this board would be the best to ask.

Any recommendations?

I have a set of firstgear expandables. Water protection - not so much (they come with rain covers, which I promptly lost so I can't say whether they work or will stay on while moving, but I doubt it). Lots of room though, and can be fitted front strap under rear seat so you don't have to mess with them when you fill up.

I've had these Cortech bags on every bike I've owned over the last 5-7 years. Will be my luggage for Yellowstone trip. Lots of them for under a hundred bucks on eBay.

IMG_0035.jpg

I've had these Cortech bags on every bike I've owned over the last 5-7 years. Will be my luggage for Yellowstone trip. Lots of them for under a hundred bucks on eBay.

View attachment 6531

Is there a bracket that holds the bag in place (i.e. vertically straight?) and keeps it from bumping the rear wheel?
Link to the bracket?
bag?
Let's go shopping?

I tryed attaching soft sided bags to the NC without any structural brackets, and that just did not work. I had to return the bags.

I had soft bags on an fz6 long ago. I had the same problem you did with them going into the rear wheel. On that bike I made (out of PVC pipe) a bracket that went over the rear pegs and across the rear seat. Might not be the best on the NC since the seat has to be raise for gas. Thinking along those lines will get you to a solution that keeps the bags off the rear wheel. Plus it is a cheap solution

There is a thread on the forum started by Little Ed titled Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket. It shows how he made a support for soft saddle bags. Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to link to it, but the search function should pull it up.

Bob

There is a thread on the forum started by Little Ed titled Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket. It shows how he made a support for soft saddle bags. Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to link to it, but the search function should pull it up.

Bob

For future reference, there is a "LinkBack" menu option at the top of the thread that will give a link to the thread. If you want a link to specific post, right click the post number in the upper right corner of the post frame (this post should be #11 or #12) and select "Copy Link address" and past that into the link menu.

yes, I attempted that brace when I had the soft sided. It works, but my local home depot didn't have all theparts.

Soft bags are most times not completely waterproof, but this does not matter, just put your contents into plastic garbage bags, and the contents will stay dry. Most times you can figure out how to put a buggy strap tied to the rear shock and some other part on the rear of bike to work as bag support and tie. Just get a little inventive, and you will make it do the job.

They are the older model Cortech Tourmaster Sport Bike. They have a newer style out now, but these are still available new. The tail bag un-snaps from the side bags. I built some racks to keep them straight. Doesn't take much, you could use a piece of bar stock bent, drilled and bolted under one of the grab rail bolts.

Back