• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire balance beads

That’s awesome. Where do you get those?
They came on the motorcycles when new. I never had to buy any. The ones I have acquired always were enough to rebalance the wheels after my tire changes. Part of the reason is that the OEMs don’t check wheel balance before mounting tires, and they blindly assume the heavy part of the wheel is at the valve, which most of the time it is not. The result is that when I do it the right way by finding the true heavy side of the wheel, I generally need only the same amount or fewer weights than what came on the bike new.

Another way to aquire weights is if you pay a shop to replace your tire, take the existing weights off the wheel and keep them before you take it to the shop. They might just throw them away anyhow.

They came on the motorcycles when new. I never had to buy any. The ones I have acquired always were enough to rebalance the wheels after my tire changes. Part of the reason is that the OEMs don’t check wheel balance before mounting tires, and they blindly assume the heavy part of the wheel is at the valve, which most of the time it is not. The result is that when I do it the right way by finding the true heavy side of the wheel, I generally need only the same amount or fewer weights than what came on the bike new.

Another way to aquire weights is if you pay a shop to replace your tire, take the existing weights off the wheel and keep them before you take it to the shop. They might just throw them away anyhow.
I have never had the stick on 7 gram weights come off because I clean the area with alcohol and dry it first. You can't get the lead ones anymore (kids might think they are candy and eat them) but Harbor Freight sells the steel strips with the peel and stick.
In response to the "beads vs weights" conversation: Next time you attend a M/C race--check the pit guys and see how they balance their tires:
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-oz-wheel-weights-67225.html

Do you tape over your weight after you install? I’m always afraid of the weights falling off.
Yes and no....I have to tape over them on my NC that I use strictly for trackdays, because having wheel weights taped over is a requirement for passing tech at the track. My street NC and my cruiser....no, never. And haven't lost a weight yet. As someone else mentioned, clean the area of the wheel the weights are to be stuck to really good and press them firmly on, you won't have an issue. And then every time it's time to put a new tire on and peel old weights off, they don't come off easily....no worries of them coming off. Unless you buy a brand with low quality adhesive. I use Motion Pro brand.

Yes and no....I have to tape over them on my NC that I use strictly for trackdays, because having wheel weights taped over is a requirement for passing tech at the track. My street NC and my cruiser....no, never. And haven't lost a weight yet. As someone else mentioned, clean the area of the wheel the weights are to be stuck to really good and press them firmly on, you won't have an issue. And then every time it's time to put a new tire on and peel old weights off, they don't come off easily....no worries of them coming off. Unless you buy a brand with low quality adhesive. I use Motion Pro brand.
Sounds good, thank you.

I've got some stick-on weights from ebay with garbage adhesive. I tape over those when I use them.

As 670cc said, the clip-on type that goes over the ridge in the wheel centre is the best. Easy to use, reliable, resuable, and no mess.

Like TacomaJD I use the motion pro weights as well. I chose them because I liked that I could get them in black which would blend in with the rims. I have experimented reusing the stick on weights using black silicone as the adehesive. Clean with brake cleaner and also never lost one.

Like TacomaJD I use the motion pro weights as well. I chose them because I liked that I could get them in black which would blend in with the rims. I have experimented reusing the stick on weights using black silicone as the adehesive. Clean with brake cleaner and also never lost one.
I still have almost a full box of "motion pro" lead weights and the neat thing about lead is that you can cut one in half (or fourths) to get a really precise balance--probably not necessary but great for type A people like me. Steel ones are impossible to cut.

Ive never used beads but I have used RideOn almost since day one. Beads seem like a step up from that so I might give them a shot on my next tire change. But I have never had an issue with RideOn that I know of. Did my last tire change myself and had no issues with mess or cleanup either.

Ive never used beads but I have used RideOn almost since day one. Beads seem like a step up from that so I might give them a shot on my next tire change. But I have never had an issue with RideOn that I know of. Did my last tire change myself and had no issues with mess or cleanup either.
I actually like the idea of ride on better. It stays in place more I think. How much do you use?

I actually like the idea of ride on better. It stays in place more I think. How much do you use?
I always snicker at the price of Ride-On. That is some expensive goo. Sold on the Ride-On web site for $16.99 for an 8 ounce bottle, it comes to $271.84 per gallon.

I dont remember the exact amount but I usually buy 3 of the 8oz bottles and use close to one and a half in each tire. But there is chart on their website I think for the exact amount per tire size.

I bought my last set of 3 bottles for 20 bucks at advanced auto. Ive never paid 16.99 a bottle.

The fact that it is also a tire sealant in addition to a balancer has always seemed worth it to me, though I have never had a puncture happen there are a lot of video tests showing it works.

I always snicker at the price of Ride-On. That is some expensive goo. Sold on the Ride-On web site for $16.99 for an 8 ounce bottle, it comes to $271.84 per gallon.
Yes, but it’s 45$ per tire at my local shop. If I use all 3 bottles I still come out 40$ ahead. Not as cheap as static balance yourself but cheaper than other alternatives. For my 1st time I might just have to try it.

bought my last set of 3 bottles for 20 bucks at advanced auto. Ive never paid 16.99 a bottle.
I tried looking this up on Advance Auto’s website, but found no listing for it . That’s a killer deal!
Do you have an item number for it or link?
I have two rear tires to mount, and would like to try it in both. I’ve been using stainless steel beads, and have had good luck with them, but like the idea of a self sealing material.
Thanks!!

Sorry I don't, someone at the time told me it was on sale so I went and picked it up. Ive seen it at walmart and Ive bought it from amazon in the past. If you watch Amazon or ebay sometimes it shows up as a 3 bottle kit for less.

My NC came with some already on it from the factory - got more from a dealer or on-line OEM parts supplier
No vehicle manufacture or tire manufacturer uses or condones their use under any circumstances. So i really doubt your NC came with them from the factory.

The youtube video bottle trick many report that as a parlor trick. Try the exact same set up with the bottle supported on an axle. So place a tire on a spin dynamic balancer and add beads......the balancer will never show balanced.

Beads products and liquid balance products are one of the most controversial forum discussion.
Motorcycle Consumer News did a bead test years back ........concluded they did no harm buy offered no benefit.

It is unusual that no one has a done a double blind test of these products over the years. Maybe like have 20-30 identical bikes, some with beads, some with weights, some with no balance of any kind, some with deliberate out of balance condiition. Then have 30-50 riders judge the performance.

As for auto manufacturers their spec of balance is 5 grams accuracy on 80 pound tire.

No vehicle manufacture or tire manufacturer uses or condones their use under any circumstances. So i really doubt your NC came with them from the factory.

The youtube video bottle trick many report that as a parlor trick. Try the exact same set up with the bottle supported on an axle. So place a tire on a spin dynamic balancer and add beads......the balancer will never show balanced.

Beads products and liquid balance products are one of the most controversial forum discussion.
Motorcycle Consumer News did a bead test years back ........concluded they did no harm buy offered no benefit.

It is unusual that no one has a done a double blind test of these products over the years. Maybe like have 20-30 identical bikes, some with beads, some with weights, some with no balance of any kind, some with deliberate out of balance condiition. Then have 30-50 riders judge the performance.

As for auto manufacturers their spec of balance is 5 grams accuracy on 80 pound tire.

My reply was about the OEM wheel balance weights that clip onto the ridge that runs down the center of the rim and,
  • yeah, I bought my NC new from a dealer, and it came right from the factory crate with these weights and,
  • yeah, I bought some more of those same clip-on weights from that same dealer. They came with a Honda part number & I'm sure that I could pull up a parts blow-up with the same Honda P/Ns, but no point.
I've only been riding for about 10 years now (I'm an 75 y.o. OLD fart, just got a late start, ya know) but I've "always" balanced my wheels with stick-on (or, now, clip-on) balance weights. Being an old fart, I'm gonna stick with the tried-&-true balancing methods that I've seen work for over a half century. I mean, I've got the equipment, ability, time and familiarity with the methods that I know work so no need to indulge in speculative "magic" or short cuts.

My reply was about the OEM wheel balance weights that clip onto the ridge that runs down the center of the rim and,
  • yeah, I bought my NC new from a dealer, and it came right from the factory crate with these weights and,
  • yeah, I bought some more of those same clip-on weights from that same dealer. They came with a Honda part number & I'm sure that I could pull up a parts blow-up with the same Honda P/Ns, but no point.
I've only been riding for about 10 years now (I'm an 75 y.o. OLD fart, just got a late start, ya know) but I've "always" balanced my wheels with stick-on (or, now, clip-on) balance weights. Being an old fart, I'm gonna stick with the tried-&-true balancing methods that I've seen work for over a half century. I mean, I've got the equipment, ability, time and familiarity with the methods that I know work so no need to indulge in speculative "magic" or short cuts.
My mistake........Misunderstood your post as beads from the factory.

Back