• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire changer

davidc83

Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Due to an equine injury 6 years ago (1100lb horse kicked and trampled me) I don't have much arm/shoulder strength, not enough to remove/install tires, anyways.
However, I want to maybe start changing my own tires. I can remove tires from the bike ok, but I cannot remove the tires from the rim (and if I do, I cant get the new tires on the rim); yes I have tried using large tire irons, baby powder trick, dish soap, the works, I just cant get enough force/leverage on the tires anymore.

Now, the question, any of you guys using any tire changing equipment (automated or level activated)? If so, what are some good brands? I have 3 bikes (2 with mag wheels, one with spoke wheels) and I think the first set of tires I do for myself on the bikes will pay for the equipment. No one does tire changing cheap in my area.

where in southern IN are you? I'm in southeast IN and have a tire changer. I will mount tires if you will stand there and talk motorcycles with me.

Having a seemingly incurable parsimony (new word for the day) disorder, I am working to assemble a cheap tire changer based on the Harbor Freight products. The Portable Tire Changer stand has been available for some time, but the motorcycle wheel adapter has just made a reappearance after a brief hiatus.

I have invested a total of $70 in both of these HF parts, using their 25% off coupons. The next step is to buy the Mojoblocks and either the Mojolever or the NoMar lever to improve on the HF tools. You can read about the whole project here The Mojolever . I'd guess when I'm done I'll have a grand total of $200 invested in the tire changer. Yes, I know it's not as nice as the $500-$1000 changers but as I said in the beginning, I tend to practice parsimony.

240290693-M.jpg
image002.jpg
image004.jpg

If you'd like to increase the project cost by $25, here is the NoMar bar Mount/Demount Bar for Manual Tire Changers
TC-MDBar-Std-2.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
I have that same Harbor Freight tire changer and use a Mojolever. You do need the Mojoblocks. I do not like cranking down and putting a big strain on the Mojoblocks so I take a small rope and wrap it around part of the mag wheel and the arm of the changer to keep it from spinning in the Mojoblocks. I have a small one car garage full of motorcycles and scooters so I have to break it down after I use it. I use a half sheet of plywood to bolt the changer to with wing nuts. Between me and my sons we have probably changed a dozen set of tires out. I bought a gallon of Ruglyde at NAPA auto parts and use with a old paint brush for the slippery stuff for the removal and install. I also bought a couple of those yellow grabbers from the Nomar site, they work good to keep the tire from walking off the back side while you are trying to get the tire on and off with the Mojolever. With this equipment it is fairly easy to get 190/50 tires on and off, the smaller NC700 tires would be even easier.

Almost forgot to mention I use a Marc Parnes balancer for the balancing, since I bought that about 7-8 years ago I've seen that Harbor Freight had one for awhile, not sure if it is still available but it was a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
I have that same Harbor Freight tire changer and use a Mojolever. You do need the Mojoblocks. I do not like cranking down and putting a big strain on the Mojoblocks so I take a small rope and wrap it around part of the mag wheel and the arm of the changer to keep it from spinning in the Mojoblocks. I have a small one car garage full of motorcycles and scooters so I have to break it down after I use it. I use a half sheet of plywood to bolt the changer to with wing nuts. Between me and my sons we have probably changed a dozen set of tires out. I bought a gallon of Ruglyde at NAPA auto parts and use with a old paint brush for the slippery stuff for the removal and install. I also bought a couple of those yellow grabbers from the Nomar site, they work good to keep the tire from walking off the back side while you are trying to get the tire on and off with the Mojolever. With this equipment it is fairly easy to get 190/50 tires on and off, the smaller NC700 tires would be even easier.

What he said. Use actual tire changing lubricant, not soapy water. I believe I bought a gallon at Advance Auto Parts. They keep it behind the counter, for some reason, so ask for it.

Also note, as mentioned on the Mojolever Website, that the newer version of the HF motorcycle wheel adapter needs a new design of Mojoblocks which are not yet available.

Greg

I have a Cycle* Hill Tire changer from No Mar. It was a great investment for a guy how lives in the boonies and doesn't trust other people to work on his bike anyway. Nowhere near as cheap as Harbor Freight but it works well and comes with everything you need for about $500. It is also made in the USA.

The more I use it the less strength it takes but it still takes some, I'd suggest taking gpd211 up on his offer and finding something he likes (beer, pizza, etc.) to bring when you go to his place to change tires.

Goose

*Corrected, sorry for the typo

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I think you mean CYCLE HILL TIRE CHANGER ??????

Maybe it was a limited edition ;)

cypress-hill.jpg

I have that same Harbor Freight tire changer...

+2. I have the HF changer and can't complain. I haven't invested in any of the Mojo stuff, but it does look nice. I do occasionally scratch a rim if I'm not careful, but nothing black touch up paint hasn't been able to repair.

It's certainly easier than irons, but it still takes a decent amount of 'umph' sometimes to get the tires on and off (especially before you get the technique down). gpd211's offer is worth taking up so you can actually try it and see what you think.

trey

Having a seemingly incurable parsimony (new word for the day) disorder, I am working to assemble a cheap tire changer based on the Harbor Freight products. The Portable Tire Changer stand has been available for some time, but the motorcycle wheel adapter has just made a reappearance after a brief hiatus.

I have invested a total of $70 in both of these HF parts, using their 25% off coupons. The next step is to buy the Mojoblocks and either the Mojolever or the NoMar lever to improve on the HF tools. You can read about the whole project here The Mojolever . I'd guess when I'm done I'll have a grand total of $200 invested in the tire changer. Yes, I know it's not as nice as the $500-$1000 changers but as I said in the beginning, I tend to practice parsimony.

View attachment 10033
View attachment 10034
View attachment 10035

If you'd like to increase the project cost by $25, here is the NoMar bar Mount/Demount Bar for Manual Tire Changers
View attachment 10036

Greg

That is the exact set-up I have minus the No-Mar lever. The mojoblocks and lever are worth the price. I've got 5 of each of the replacement nylons lying around so if one gets dinged up in the change I can replace it and keep working. I bolted my Harbor Freight stand to a shipping crate. That way I stand on the crate to keep it from moving around. Plus it is portable. Mounted a set of wheels on the back and a retractable wheel on the front so it is easy to tuck away.

I take it you got the items listed above, let us know how it works. Next week I'm pulling the old HF changer out, my son and I are going to put new tires on our C14 Kawasakis for a trip.

Last edited:
OK I installed my new tires this afternoon and used the 2 items mentioned in the last post and everything goes better :cool: than I expected (haunted by the souvenir of my first tire change :mad:).
I don't particularly like to change tires, but all in all, much easier to do when you take the time and have the good tools.:D
If it wasn't raining (no garage here) I could have done it all the afternoon alterning 1 tire/1 beer but it was raining so...only 2 tires and hummm how many beers ? just don't remember :)

Back