• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

tires: new set of Mich. Pilot Road 2s... break in? Prep?

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2s for my NC700x.
(on sale because the PR3s are out.)

They seem nice, but the dealer told me to be careful for the first 50 miles at least.

I never ride aggressively, but what did the dealer mean.. I wonder.

What sort of break in should one give new tires?

I read the some buff them with coarse sand paper?

What is good to do?

great..... I don't need more reason than that to go for a saturday ride!

(later)
back from the ride, and my oil leak is all fixed!

also, the tires inspire confidence again. I was surprised that the PR2s ride more smoothly on the Freeway than the stock tires. That was pleasant!!

No special treatment... just ride them and let the highway work off whatever coating they have at the dealer.

Last edited:
One thing the reviews said about the PR3's is they are pretty sticky right out of the box. The PR2's may be like that, but it never hurts to wear the tires in.

From what I've been told, tires have some sort of release agent on them leftover from the molding process. In some cases the residue can cause tires to be slick until its worn off.

From what I've been told, tires have some sort of release agent on them leftover from the molding process. In some cases the residue can cause tires to be slick until its worn off.

This is true. It is called mold release. Usually dry traction is adequate. Be especially careful in the wet for the first 50-100 miles.

Whenever I mount new tires(I mount my own ), I go down my street to the culdesac and do a dozen figure 8's getting progressively greater lean angle to scuff the tires some before I take off on a ride.

Back