• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Top Box Recommendations for 2016 NC700X

MattKas

Reaction score
Visit site
I am getting a 2016 NC700X DCT ABS and I am planning to use it for daily commuting. I need a top box to put my laptop top bag in it. Any recommendations? Do I need Honda Rack underneath?

Thanks in advance,

Matt Kas

2015 BMW K1600 GTLE
2016 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
Chandler, AZ

I do not have much of a reply , but , most use either SW MOTECH or GIVI. Honda line stuff is good but your limited to just that. Other folk will chime in.

I have the same bike. I put a GIVI Outback 42L black box on it. I installed the GIVI rack for it but as I understand it SW-Motech does have an adaptor for a GIVI top box.

I did not use any Honda accessory items for luggage. Coming into the NC I already had various Givi boxes to use and you can't mount a Givi box on the Honda rack without modifications. I have a friend who just uses the Honda rack and the Honda-branded Givi-made top box and he likes it just fine. The Honda branded Givi box will not fit on the Givi base plate though.

I have had both Givi and SW Motech racks to mount Givi top boxes and panniers in various 36, 46 and 33 liter sizes. Both racks are OK but I prefer the SW Motech Alu Rack for looks and functionality. The Givi rack has a large hole in it that limits it's use to just mounting the top box while the SW Motech one gives a flat surface large enough to carry a small soft bag or the like under a cargo net when the top box is not needed. The Givi adapter plate fits any MonoKey box onto the Alu Rack.

Think all of your options pretty much do the same thing, it holds the top box. Don't think we have any data to run it against as I haven't read any ride reports of someone doing a RTW trip on our NC700X nor has there any been any reports of a failure of these brackets that hold the top box. So I think you are good to go with Shad Top Case rack, think out of the three primary options, it's purely on your preference and the amount of $$ you are willing to spend. Only reason why I prefer Givi is because it gives you the most options in terms of type of cases. Good luck on your search!

I am getting a 2016 NC700X DCT ABS and I am planning to use it for daily commuting. I need a top box to put my laptop top bag in it. Any recommendations? Do I need Honda Rack underneath?

I used DAYTONA Multi Wing Carrier (rails and mounting plate) for $100 which I ordered off of japan.webike.net. Also has a rubber mat for mounting plate ($20).
And the case itself was a K37NN 37Ltr MONOLOCK CASE, which was on clearance for $75 a couple of years ago. Also has a passenger backrest ($36).
The weird part was that they fit together like they were made for each other.

Techrat

Daytona Carrier 77286.jpg
Kappa topcase k37nn.jpg
kk1.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Matt Kas

2015 BMW K1600 GTLE
2016 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
Chandler, AZ

Intentionally by Honda, their luggage doesn’t play well with anyone else’s hardware. If you have multiple motorcycles or sell the NC and get a different motorcycle, the Honda luggage is not transferable. You need to buy the Honda rack to install the case. To install the Honda rack may involve buying more than one accessory item, not just the rack plate itself. All that being said, the Honda luggage is OK and will do the job.

If you buy Givi mounting hardware, it will only work with Givi and Kappa brand cases. If you like those case, nothing wrong with going that route. There are a variety of cases, interchangeable between motorcycles.

If you use SW Motech mounting hardware, you buy adapters to mount many different brands of cases (except Honda cases). This is your most flexible route, but also probably the most expensive. You can also go with a hardware system by Caribou, and mount standard Pelican cases; again, a nice but rather expensive option.

Your budget and whether you’ll want to add side bags in the future will dictate you best options. A final note: most top cases are stylish rounded shapes meant to carry clothing and helmets. Frankly, they stink at carrying other items because there isn’t much flat bottom and the floor sides curve up. Rectangular, boxy cases may not be as pretty, but they’re easier to pack for hard items.

oooohhhh. Krispy Kremes! You should always put a locking cable around those instead of just a bungie.
>T
PS... How come you bought the single serving size of doughnuts?

I like the Givi support bars at $110, and the inexpensive top boxes from Amazon.
See a similar discussion on how to attach them [HERE].
NB: Oxford liked them too and bought up all the stylized ones I like best.

(this one) RE - branded by Oxford now... once sold for $44, but Oxford wants $89... i think.
topbox2.jpg

oooohhhh. Krispy Kremes! You should always put a locking cable around those instead of just a bungie.
>T
PS... How come you bought the single serving size of doughnuts?

Saturday morning doughnut run!!! Nothing like hitting an empty highway at 6am on a Saturday for coffee and doughnuts.
Gotta be careful. The more boxes, the more doughnut crushes and crumbles. Krispy Kremes are my passenger!

Techrat

Back