• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

trailers for your bike

C.S.Drums10

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is not how we ride with the bike snugged down on a trailer behind the SUV but at this point I am looking to take my bike halfway cross country this summer with the kids to enjoy the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not feasible to ride bike there. I am weighing renting a trailer from U-Haul or some similar company versus buying a bike trailer to have on hand. Want to get thoughts on trailers and suggestions on renting versus owning. Looking at a foldup trailer that can cart one bike or going ahead and getting a larger trailer knowing that as my sons start riding more I may have to haul more. Thoughts?

Rent vs own is primarily a factor of how often you will use it. A second consideration is what else would you use it for. The answers will be all over the spectrum and you have to decide what fits for you.

I bought a 5x10 enclosed trailer which is good for one bike. Aluminum construction and the trailer alone weighs 1,000#. it has been great when I needed my truck for other reasons in a location with great riding. Normally I prefer to ride the NC, but sometimes I need the truck. Bike totally protected and secure inside enclosed trailer. I have used it multiple times in the last year moving furniture between family locations hundreds of miles apart and it was a good buy for me. I bought it from Miss Demeanor on this site and the used price put it within reach for me. On the down side, even empty the weight and wind resistance of the trailer significantly drops the gas mileage on my truck.

Many things to consider here. Financial resources? Storage space for the trailer? More bikes in the future? Dirt bikes and/or ATVs now or in the future? Also need to haul tractors, landscape equipment, or building materials?

I chose an enclosed cargo trailer to haul my GL1800 behind the motorhome, and I have a smaller single bike trailer for the dirt bike. The single bike trailer is small enough it doubles as a cargo trailer to tow behind the GL1800.

If you plan to trailer the bike often, obviously buying beats renting. If once per year, consider renting. There's so many variables no one could advise without more info regarding your needs.

I'm a buy or build kind of guy instead of renting, but if it isn't needed or can't be used for other purposes, renting would work.
I already have a trailer that can carry my tractor and vehicles but wanted a smaller one to haul light loads.
I decided this on a ride when one of the riders put his bike in the ditch.
Luckily a friend decided to sell me a tilting trailer the would make a perfect bike/lawnmower trailer.
If you have the room, you can always sell it if you don't need it anymore.
Check out craigslist. You might find a deal.

Have you considered the Harbor Freight folding trailer? If you do a search on the ADVRider forum, there is a thread or two about it. I purchased on with a coupon, but have not put it together yet. Here in South Florida and Motorcycle Track Days in Homestead and West Palm Beach I have seen several used to tow motorbikes.

Also search google for the Harbor Freight folding trailer as there is good information on it and modifications.

I was thinking the same thing.checkout the harbor freight trailer of you are only going to use occasionally.

I have a HF folding trailer. I've had it for about 5 years and it's hauled mulch, dirt, kayaks, canoes and motorcycles. It took me half a day to assemble. Get the 12" wheels and pressure treated plywood for the floor. Also buy a wheel chock and bolt the rear two bolts through the trailer frame and bold some tie downs to the frame. Also bring a ramp, yes it has a tilt feature but it's wicked scary to ride a bike up or down. Just some thoughts from what I've learned with mine. Also use good grease on the hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've considered the Harbor Freight folding trailer too. The weight of the trailer loaded with my bike would still fall under the towing capacity of my car. Plus it would come in handy when we move this fall. Lots of variables to think about before jumping in.

In my area you can find 3 rail motorcycle trailers on Craigslist for $300-$600. I prefer to buy rather than rent. In Oklahoma we don't have to tag trailers and we have no titles to trailers. That being said I would buy and if I didn't want it after returning it could be sold pretty easy.

Another trailer to Consider is the northern tool trailer.its a 5x8 so a little bigger than the HF one and from what I have been told it's built quite a bit better.

Back