• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trip Report - St. Louis to Avon, Colorado - How did she do?

rexbaum

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Every year, a couple friends and myself pack up and ride out to Avon, Colorado. This year I was excited to see how the new NC700X would do an such a long journey. The distance from home to where we stay in Avon is right at about 980 miles. The Corbin Seat sure helped out; what a life saver that is to the ole back-side! We ride to Colby, KS., stay the night and then ride the rest of the way the following day. I have the touring trunk and a soft bag that sits on the passenger seat. This along with the "frunk" and I was good to go!

I can say with confidence, the NC700X will cruise on the highway at 85 mph all day long......LITERALLY! I noticed that riding through Kansas at that speed the RPM range would not exceed 4400 RPM. Fuel consumption averaged 64-65 MPG at that speed, which is amazing!

You can imagine it was a bit of a pain to take the bungie net off to move the soft bag every time I fueled up. Nonetheless, it just took an additional moment or two. Ah well.....

In the "frunk" I was able to carry my rain gear, warmer gloves, suntan lotion, lip balm, water bottle, munchies, cigarettes, jacket liner and my reading glasses, with room to spare! This was awesome!

This bike is so stable, I felt completely comfortable holding my phone in my left hand and shooting a video while riding. Honda nailed it with the low center of gravity thing!

Another example of how well this bike handles, I did another video riding up the mountain to the house we stay at. There are minor switch-backs going up to the house and I was able to do the ride again, with one hand. On this topic, the bike is capable of such a gentle ride without needing to shift gears constantly.

Heading up in higher altitude, once again the bike handled whatever I put before it, flawlessly! A few spirited rides with a buddy on a Triumph Tiger 800 and he had a hard time keeping up with the road got challenging. +1 Honda!

On one of our rides, I gassed up in Grand Lake and by the time we rode over Trail Ridge through the Rocky Mountain Nat. Park and down through Estes Park, when we stopped for gas, I found that on this run this machine actually hit 100.1 MPG! No BS! I don't know if it is the thin air or what. Even a buddy with a HD Ultra got 64 MPG!

Bottom line, this bike is a good time and will do exactly what you ask it to do!

PS. I have no idea if the video links for photobucket will work, if not, I am sorry.

Later!

I usually ride TO St Louis... from the east coast, so I was glad to hear your ride report and the excellent gas milage. The 100mpg mark is something I never thought I'd see anyone get. Altitude I've heard does crazy things.

Heavy,

I am 6 foot 2 and the puig windshield worked great. One of the other riders even commented about the lack of movement in my shirt and it jacket while riding.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

The house we stay in is located in Avon Colorado. Every year we do the ride up 131 / 134 and up through Grand Lake and over trailer Ridge to Estes Park. Always a good ride, especially coming down 7 from Trail Ridge!

Your pics of RMNP and Trail Ridge Road are killing me. Last time I was out there was three years ago. Did you have much wind at the high altitude? How did the X handle it? First trip up TRR w/ my grandson the wind was blowing so hard at Lava cliffs I could barely get the car doors open. Next day was perfect.

Interesting you asked that. I have risen in hail up there once, the next three times is was beautiful. This time, it was very nice except at the very top we were hit with winds that blew in on the mountain that had to be in the 50 mph range! It was sudden and the bike did fine, considering. What was worse in my opinion was the wind on the eastern planes. Every darn year, coupled by rain this time on our way out. Over all, the bike did great, wind, rain or shine!

I live this annual trip!

By the way, the pics are from Independence Pass. We didn't even stop going over Trail Ridge, we wanted to get off that rock!

Ever been up Mt Evens? Two years ago, it was 17 degrees up there!!

Back