• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trunk Mod

OneGun

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been thinking that if I were to install some sort of lashing points (via screw in eyelets, hooks, etc.) into the top of my Honda trunk, I would be able to carry more... strap a few items to the top of the trunk to the hooks/loops. This would maximize the value of the trunk, IMO. However, I'm a bit reluctant to start drilling holes into the trunk lid for fear of weakening/damaging the integrity of the lid. Of course, I'd think that if the item(s) I do lash to the top of the trunk aren't too heavy or large then there shouldn't be any problems.

What do you suggest I use? I hope what I'm trying to explain is making sense. Thanks.

Kinda like this? I looked to see if I could find a luggage rack for the Honda Trunk but could not find one.

NC700XTrekker.jpg

So I've been thinking that if I were to install some sort of lashing points (via screw in eyelets, hooks, etc.) into the top of my Honda trunk, I would be able to carry more... strap a few items to the top of the trunk to the hooks/loops. This would maximize the value of the trunk, IMO. However, I'm a bit reluctant to start drilling holes into the trunk lid for fear of weakening/damaging the integrity of the lid. Of course, I'd think that if the item(s) I do lash to the top of the trunk aren't too heavy or large then there shouldn't be any problems.

What do you suggest I use? I hope what I'm trying to explain is making sense. Thanks.

Are you talking about a rear trunk like a Givi or are you talking about the Frunk?

Kinda like this? I looked to see if I could find a luggage rack for the Honda Trunk but could not find one.

That would be really nice if something like that existed, but I was thinking about just like drilling 4 holes in the top of the lid near the corners and putting in some screw-in hooks/u-bolts/anchor points... something along those lines. But I never considered looking for a rack of that type... that'd be even better.

docwells7 said:
Are you talking about a rear trunk like a Givi or are you talking about the Frunk?

No, not the Frunk. The actual Honda trunk mounted on the rear. Sorry for the confusion.

I've seen them for several aftermarket topboxes. A little silicone should keep it from leaking. I bet a Givi rack for a similar size topbox would work. Downside is the ones I’ve seen were expensive compared to how much weight they can hold. Plus using them puts weight high and behind the rear tire.

Givi lists three different size racks for the Trekker series cases on their website. IIRC, several of the folks who got the Honda cases said they were made by Givi, so it seems you should be able to install one of their racks on the Honda case.
On the other hand, if you just want to add some tie down points, you could use star washers to spread out the load and minimize stress points. Star washers are large round washers (like fender washers) with a star pattern on one side. The Goldwing crowd uses them to mount luggage racks to their top cases.

Bob

Last edited:
Bolt hooks into the sides, waterproof appropriately, and use a stretchy cargo net to hold items atop the box. Use generous sized washers on the inside to spread the strain over a larger area and avoid weakening the plastic.

Bolt hooks into the sides, waterproof appropriately, and use a stretchy cargo net to hold items atop the box. Use generous sized washers on the inside to spread the strain over a larger area and avoid weakening the plastic.

This was my plan. And yes, the point about the washers was what I was considering. I'm going to go big as I can to distribute the force.

Well that seals the deal... the drill comes out this week. Pics forthcoming.

With this plan and the non-flat and somewhat slippery nature of most trunks I think using a cargo net instead of straps could be key here.

I would go with the.cargo net.i think the weight of a rack might be a problem.or check out some goldwing fourms they all seem to have one.but their trunks are made better also.

IMG_0782a.jpg

I needed a way to secure a load near vertically against the front of my top box and decided on this method. I bolted 2 stainless steel kitchen drawer handles to the lid, giving a varied way of attaching bungee cords etc. to the bike. If you don't like the look of the handles there are a lot of other designs out there!
Poor quality of the pic due to it being a crop of a larger photo.

Like the idea of the cabinet handles, they look nice and low $. Anyone else come up with a rack for the Honda rear trunk or know which Givi rack fits?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I used to make and sell these type of rack.
it is fitted to a small top box.

6a11.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions, still trying to decide if I want to go with a Givi type rack, strap cleats, or the using the drawer pulls (Ikea has a nice 14" version for $8 a pair).

Would someone with a Givi Topcase Rack mind measuring the locations of the contact/mounting points. Please include the model of Topcase Rack as there appears to be many different versions.

GIVI Top Case Luggage Racks

Does anyone have the Givi Universal Rack? It is on the Givi site, but doesn't have a lot of info. It appears to just be a plastic plate with slots for putting straps.

If you strap, or net, things to the top of your trunk without any rack, will it not scratch the top of your trunk after a while??

Back