• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Turn signal quandry

Mandalorian

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if any of you have trouble remembering to cancel the turn signal after a turn, but I do. I usually cancel it as soon as I look at the display for the time or rpm's . Any of you have any Jedi mind trick to help this problem? It's isn't that big of a deal but a couple of times now someone has pull out in front of me thinking I'm going to turn. Very scary and dangerous.

Practice the Jedi mind trick of using your turn signal every time you turn or change lanes. After you complete the turn or lane change, turn it off. Do this every time and soon you don't have to think about it as it will become automatic.

I have the same problem sometimes. I'm so used to the lough "beep beep beep..." of my '76 CB550 that I completely forget when i don't hear anything. If i come up with a way to wire a classic honda CB turn signal horn i'll post the mod.

Gotta agree with dduelin on this one. The only real solution I know of is to use the signals until cancelling them becomes a conditioned reflex.

Now having said that, I'm old, I'm retired, and I live in Florida. I firmly believe I've earned the right to go down the road with a turn signal flashing 100% of the time just like all the other old retired people that live in Florida. :)

Bob

I thought the design on the old Honda 400/4 was very good. As you pushed (or pulled) the switch it got progressively harder to quite some degree before switching & it was THIS that registered on the memory so you didn't forget to cancel.
They should re-visit this old switch :)

Stuart

There are a couple products on the market that will shut them off for you. Here is one: SM-3R - signalMinder and I think that Twisted Throttle might market one as well but am not sure.

Practice the Jedi mind trick of using your turn signal every time you turn or change lanes. After you complete the turn or lane change, turn it off. Do this every time and soon you don't have to think about it as it will become automatic.

This is a proven fact. If you do things thousands of times, your mind will be conditioned to do them automatically. I still try to "Downshift" on my clutched bikes by pressing the horn mistaken it for the "-" button on my DCT.

I find myself trying to cancel the signal even when it's not on. It's just muscle memory now.

That's True!!!

I thought the design on the old Honda 400/4 was very good. As you pushed (or pulled) the switch it got progressively harder to quite some degree before switching & it was THIS that registered on the memory so you didn't forget to cancel.
They should re-visit this old switch :)

Stuart

That system was used on most Hondas during the 1974 thru 1977. My 1975 CB360 has these switches on it. By 1978, they changed the switch assembles completely.

I have the same problem sometimes. I'm so used to the lough "beep beep beep..." of my '76 CB550 that I completely forget when i don't hear anything. If i come up with a way to wire a classic honda CB turn signal horn i'll post the mod.

I also had a 76 CB550 when I was in High School, POS. It did the same as previously described. Also both my 1975 and 1978 GL1000s that system too.

This is a proven fact. If you do things thousands of times, your mind will be conditioned to do them automatically. I still try to "Downshift" on my clutched bikes by pressing the horn mistaken it for the "-" button on my DCT.
That is the opposite of what I would expect. You've ridden years and thousands of miles on clutched bikes and a few months on the DCT, correct?

Physiologically speaking, learning a new muscle memory "writes" and enbeds a new subconscious program instead of overwriting an old one. Learning to ride a motorcycle with hand and foot controls doesn't mean you forget how to ride a bicycle.

When you are completely comfortable on the DCT you should be able to switch back and forth between your bikes without thinking and without mistake.

That is the opposite of what I would expect. You've ridden years and thousands of miles on clutched bikes and a few months on the DCT, correct?

Physiologically speaking, learning a new muscle memory "writes" and enbeds a new subconscious program instead of overwriting an old one. Learning to ride a motorcycle with hand and foot controls doesn't mean you forget how to ride a bicycle.

When you are completely comfortable on the DCT you should be able to switch back and forth between your bikes without thinking and without mistake.

27 years to be exactly and probably over 250,000 miles on a clutched bikes. I can switch easily back and forth between my ST1300 and CB360 without any confusion on the where the controls are at. For some reason the DCT throws me a "Curve Ball", either when I'd haven't ridden it after awhile or after I have been riding it for awhile. This is the "Strange" part. I sometimes "Ghost Shift and Clutch" when I get back onto the DCT. I would not trade it for anything in the world.

It only takes me a few moments to "Load the Right Program"... :)

Back