• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

UK: 2023 Shows Dip in Sales… Especially for EVs

admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site

• 2023 motorcycle sales were down 2.5% from the previous year
  • Over 34% of purchased bikes are 125cc or less
  • Middleweight to 1000cc bikes show uptick in sales
  • Nakeds were the most popular bike category to purchase in 2023

Our industry may have seen piles of riders flocking to buy motorcycles during 2020-2022, but 2023 shows a different set of figures for the UK.​

For those of you who don’t know, the MCIA is a body that represents the UK’s L-Category vehicle industry.

In other words, these sales stats are only for the UK… though we have enough here to ogle in anticipation of America’s own bike sales results, particularly in the EV category.

According to a recent study sourced from Phil West’s coverage on MCN, this past year’s bike sales dipped 2.5% to 113,589 units sold.

A woman putting a battery into a scooter.
A woman putting a battery into a scooter.

A scooter with a removable battery pack. Media provided baby the MCIA.

Gas sales vs. electric sales

Of the 113,589 in total sales, we have 109,000 gas machines (107,215 motorcycles if removing scooters and mopeds) and 4062 electric machines.

This last figure is quite interesting; not only do electric machines sold in 2023 make up a mere 3.6% of total sales, but the number is even less in 2022 – 37.5% less, in fact.

In plain speak, electric sales in the UK show just how much the masses are actually investing in the electrification strategies of certain brands.

…it’s not a lot, folks.

three motorcyclists riding down a street.
three motorcyclists riding down a street.

A handful of L-licensed motorcyclists. Media provided baby the MCIA.

What does the MCIA’s CEO say about 2023’s UK two-wheeled sales?

For Campbell, 2023’s results still show huge potential for our industry to take the lead in future recreational/personal transport:

2024 will be an exciting year for the sector which will be built upon another solid performance in 2023.

The scooter and motorcycle market will become an even more important contributor to the transport ecosystem.

– Tony Campbell, CEO, MCIA (MCN)​

What do you think of 2023’s motorcycle sales?

*Media provided by CNN Philippines, as well as the MCIA*

The post UK: 2023 Shows Dip in Sales… Especially for EVs appeared first on webBikeWorld.

Continue reading...

If there is any reason for low percentage of EV sales, it's that are very few FOR sale. How many EV motorcycles and scooters are being offered by the big 4 Japanese? I can't say for the UK, but in the USA I'm pretty sure the answer is NONE. People are probably reluctant to buy EVs from the small startup and boutique brands for fear of being left with an orphaned vehicle without parts or support.

If there is any reason for low percentage of EV sales, it's that are very few FOR sale.
For me it is the battery replacement price. I looked at a used Zero at a local dealership a few years ago. The salesman, that I had known for years, recommended against the purchase stating that a replacement battery would cost between 4K and 7K depending on its capacity. No, I don't remember what model Zero it was or what I had for lunch that day.

For me it is the battery replacement price. I looked at a used Zero at a local dealership a few years ago. The salesman, that I had known for years, recommended against the purchase stating that a replacement battery would cost between 4K and 7K depending on its capacity. No, I don't remember what model Zero it was or what I had for lunch that day.
You believed a salesman? I have to wonder why a dealer would buy the Zero or take it on a trade, then advise customers not to buy It. Makes no sense.

I would not argue about the battery price, but I’d say the price is irrelevant if the battery never needs replacement. I believe Zero says the battery pack (on my ‘21 DSR) would still have 80% of it’s capacity when the bike reaches 200,000 miles. I’ll never reach that many miles on it in my lifetime, so the battery is certainly not something I worry about.

I sure wouldn’t pass up the fun I’m having on the Zero over the remote possibility of a battery failure. Nonetheless, if you were uncomfortable buying the Zero, you did the right thing by moving on.

You believed a salesman? I have to wonder why a dealer would buy the Zero or take it on a trade, then advise customers not to buy It. Makes no sense.
Yes, I believed THAT salesman, I've known him for years. The dealership bought that Zero, not the salesman. Not every salesman will bend you over.

Yes, I believed THAT salesman, I've known him for years. The dealership bought that Zero, not the salesman. Not every salesman will bend you over.
Fair enough; glad you found a trustworthy salesman. I own a Zero and my battery hasn’t failed, but outside of that single data point I’m not reading of any failures or successes. Batteries are a pretty quiet subject, so I’d have to guess there are no problems. My local Zero dealership owner speaks openly to me about various Zero motorcycle problems, warranty problems he’s working on, and service issues, and even talks about problems with the Zero company, but he has never once mentioned batteries. Where did your trusty salesman get reliable data on Zero battery failure rates, such that it was worth mentioning the battery replacement price?

Back on the thread topic regarding relatively low EV sales volume, in addition to there being few choices in the market, maybe there is F.U.D. (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) at play, perpetuated by mainstream media, social media, and even salespersons. Telling a potentional buyer about battery costs would instill FUD, but that could be validated with accurate battery failure rate data that justifies concern about the costs.

My Zero’s battery pack does have a five year warranty. My electric car battery warranty is eight years. Perhaps those long warranties are put in place to reduce battery replacement cost concerns.

I'm no EV zealot but the battery is not a reason to disregard EVs anymore. Very early vehicles about 10 years ago with tiny capacites maybe, but these days the batteries will outlast the vehicles.
Charging infrastructure, well that's a whole different matter..

I'm no EV zealot but the battery is not a reason to disregard EVs anymore. Very early vehicles about 10 years ago with tiny capacites maybe, but these days the batteries will outlast the vehicles.
Charging infrastructure, well that's a whole different matter..

The reason UK EV sales are low is mainly due to the pricing. They are still very expensive.

I am uncertain that even if there were more EVs offered by large manufacturers we would see a significant change in the outcomes. If this were a meaningful profit center, or if there was considerable market sentiment indicating large scale EV adoption, big powersports would be rushing to market. They are going in the opposite direction despite the significant government subsidies. It could also be that people have become aware, and appropriately concerned, about the devastating impacts to the environment mineral mining, whether by traditional mining or brining, driven by battery production requirements primarily, has upon the environment. If the EV companies were required to post these facts conspicuously, requiring the purchaser to become informed of the mining requirements, their impact to the environment, and the carbon emissions created for the production of just one battery (not vehicle...just the battery) how quickly the EV market would disintegrate. If they were also required to post the human rights abuses driven by the mining and brining activities it would devolve even more rapidly. But then there will be those who dismiss this because their electric vehicles are fun, or novel, or whatever, regardless of human rights abuses and upstream impacts to our environment.

I am uncertain that even if there were more EVs offered by large manufacturers we would see a significant change in the outcomes. If this were a meaningful profit center, or if there was considerable market sentiment indicating large scale EV adoption, big powersports would be rushing to market. They are going in the opposite direction despite the significant government subsidies. It could also be that people have become aware, and appropriately concerned, about the devastating impacts to the environment mineral mining, whether by traditional mining or brining, driven by battery production requirements primarily, has upon the environment. If the EV companies were required to post these facts conspicuously, requiring the purchaser to become informed of the mining requirements, their impact to the environment, and the carbon emissions created for the production of just one battery (not vehicle...just the battery) how quickly the EV market would disintegrate. If they were also required to post the human rights abuses driven by the mining and brining activities it would devolve even more rapidly. But then there will be those who dismiss this because their electric vehicles are fun, or novel, or whatever, regardless of human rights abuses and upstream impacts to our environment.
It would seem most ironic for a fossil fuel user to shun battery powered vehicles over concern about the environment.

I agree to your point “If this were a meaningful profit center”. EV design, manufacturing, and sales is mainly about profit. In the automobile world, the USA’s EV tax credit incentives are structured around country sourcing and local industry profitability. If the tax credits were truly meant to encourage alternate energy source usage and energy use reduction, they would be scaled or qualified based on the EV’s efficiency, not by the regional sources of materials and labor. Perhaps a Bolt or a Leaf would get the most tax credit, while a Rivian or F150 would get little or none. Manufacturers would strive to offer efficient and affordable EVs, not expensive, luxurious, and highly profitable ones.

In prior years, there was a federal tax credit for an electric motorcycle purchase. Now there is not. The US domestic electric motorcycle industry is so small, I guess the government wasn’t interested in supporting it.

Despite them being awesome machines to own and ride, it makes little sense for manufacturers to build and offer electric motorcycles if there is no profit to be made.

It would seem most ironic for a fossil fuel user to shun battery powered vehicles over concern about the environment.
This is one of the 2 primary reasons I won’t buy an EV and will continue to use gas. Electric mineral mining and battery manufacturing is awful for the environment.

This is one of the 2 primary reasons I won’t buy an EV and will continue to use gas. Electric mineral mining and battery manufacturing is awful for the environment.
I agree that mineral mining is bad for the environment. Fossil fuel extraction and burning is bad for the environment. But I also believe that in general, 8,000,000,000 people are what’s really, really bad for the environment.

From my perspective mining is mining. When it comes to extracting minerals from the earth it can always go badly. Doesn't matter if it is battery minerals, gold or diamonds. There is no superiority, they are all the same.

Manufacturers do not want to take risks or lose money. It costs considerable amount of millions to design a new vehicle and build/modify factory to build it. For EV it includes extra parts and the factories to make the batteries and motors. ICE factories are already built so they have huge cost advantage. In most cases any new car carries from 50-80% parts from previous models from the manufacturer. VW has at least 6 models built on the same chassis as the Polo, making the Polo massively cheaper to design and manufacture. VW had to bet the company on the ID3 after the dieselgate or it would have made it in smaller numbers with less investment.
Some manufacturers have taken small steps to test the market. Nissan Leaf for example. Nissan lost tons of money on the quality/lifecycle of the batteries in the first Leafs. Even at double the price of Punto's, Fiat sold the first 500e's at a loss.
Tesla is a special case. Bailed out numerous times by US government and investor groups. They still do not have car that is considered standard or small size (cheaper) in Europe.

I agree to your point “If this were a meaningful profit center”. EV design, manufacturing, and sales is mainly about profit. In the automobile world, the USA’s EV tax credit incentives are structured around country sourcing and local industry profitability. If the tax credits were truly meant to encourage alternate energy source usage and energy use reduction, they would be scaled or qualified based on the EV’s efficiency, not by the regional sources of materials and labor. Perhaps a Bolt or a Leaf would get the most tax credit, while a Rivian or F150 would get little or none. Manufacturers would strive to offer efficient and affordable EVs, not expensive, luxurious, and highly profitable ones.

In prior years, there was a federal tax credit for an electric motorcycle purchase. Now there is not. The US domestic electric motorcycle industry is so small, I guess the government wasn’t interested in supporting it.

Despite them being awesome machines to own and ride, it makes little sense for manufacturers to build and offer electric motorcycles if there is no profit to be made.
I’m not shunning electric vehicles at all, ICE owner or not. I’m pointing out that there are meaningful and irreversible impacts to the environment requisite to the production of batteries to power EVs. Not requisite to the production, but a reality, are the human rights violations. Like I said before; if facts about the tangential environmental impacts and human rights violations related to EV battery production were on the dashboard of every electric vehicle, it would be highly unlikely that the industry would be anything more than a niche. If this was on the dashboard of your motorcycle or car, and you knew it to be a fact, I wouldn’t imagine you would purchase the vehicle or encourage others to do the same. I want a solution to replace ICEs but I’m also not going to ignore that there are significant issues with EV production.

The tax subsidies I was referring to were not the tax benefits to the consumer but rather those direct benefits to the manufacturers, which are approaching insane amounts. Like you, I don’t object to subsidies generally. But when there is no meaningful impact to the environment, and none that will likely be realized in the lifetime of any person old enough to drive today, I do object to the subsidies. We’re helping fund the purchase of a few vehicles and support an unstable business prospect. We’re subsiding an endeavor that ultimately will not be the solution to reduce emissions and is stifling innovation; innovation is what solves for these problems, not subsidies.

Last edited:
I’m not shunning electric vehicles at all, ICE owner or not. I’m pointing out that there are meaningful and irreversible impacts to the environment requisite to the production of batteries to power EVs. Not requisite to the production, but a reality, are the human rights violations. Like I said before; if facts about the tangential environmental impacts and human rights violations related to EV battery production were on the dashboard of every electric vehicle, it would be highly unlikely that the industry would be anything more than a niche. If this was on the dashboard of your motorcycle or car, and you knew it to be a fact, I wouldn’t imagine you would purchase the vehicle or encourage others to do the same. I want a solution to replace ICEs but I’m also not going to ignore that there are significant issues with EV production.

The tax subsidies I was referring to were not the tax benefits to the consumer but rather those direct benefits to the manufacturers, which are approaching insane amounts. Like you, I don’t object to subsidies generally. But when there is no meaningful impact to the environment, and none that will likely be realized in the lifetime of any person old enough to drive today, I do object to the subsidies. We’re helping fund the purchase of a few vehicles and support an unstable business prospect. We’re subsiding an endeavor that ultimately will not be the solution to reduce emissions and fling innovation; innovation is what solves for these problems, not subsidies.
I totally agree that an environmental impact meter of sorts on the dash of an EV would be a good thing. The same rules would apply to ICE vehicles, too. If a real-time fossil fuel environmental impact meter was on my gasoline motorhome dash, I‘m sure I would feel so badly I’d never drive it. It’s so easy to conveniently ignore the facts when we want to. I’m guilty.

I totally agree that an environmental impact meter of sorts on the dash of an EV would be a good thing. The same rules would apply to ICE vehicles, too. If a real-time fossil fuel environmental impact meter was on my gasoline motorhome dash, I‘m sure I would feel so badly I’d never drive it. It’s so easy to conveniently ignore the facts when we want to. I’m guilty.
I don't think either you or I are ignoring facts, whether about EVs or ICEs. I just think we differ on our opinion of the contribution EVs will ever play into improving the environment. I don't think we differ on the facts related to each of their detrimental effects on the environment. Really, they are the only viable options today for transportation, both with their strengths, weaknesses, benefits, and detractors. I'm guilty too. I ride motorcycles, scooters, boats, drive SUVs, and have some pretty big batteries here at the house.

I don't think either you or I are ignoring facts, whether about EVs or ICEs. I just think we differ on our opinion of the contribution EVs will ever play into improving the environment. I don't think we differ on the facts related to each of their detrimental effects on the environment. Really, they are the only viable options today for transportation, both with their strengths, weaknesses, benefits, and detractors. I'm guilty too. I ride motorcycles, scooters, boats, drive SUVs, and have some pretty big batteries here at the house.
Sadly, I don’t think that EVs offer much help for the environment. I think they are an improvement over ICE, but not a significant enough step, and absolutely not an answer for sustainability. We cannot adopt EVs and think for a second that we have solved our transportation environmental impact problems. For that, the best option we have now is everybody walk or ride a bicycle.

The EV has the potential to be very energy efficient, but auto manufacturers in the USA are trending toward large pickup trucks and SUVs, which partially negates the EVs potential to reduce our energy consumption. For example, GM stopped building the energy efficient Bolt (temporarily, I hope) so they could build the Blazer SUV and the Silverado truck.

I love the EV ownership and driving/riding experience. There are no toxic fumes in the garage, or around the vehicle outside. There is no need to stop to buy fuel (I charge at home), and there’s almost no maintenance required. They’re smooth, quiet, with near instant ”throttle” response from a stop to highway speed. In the car, I find the one-pedal driving option to be a convenient and pleasurable way to operate it. The efficiency is amazing. The car can go about 230 miles on the equivalent energy of 2 gallons of gasoline. As far as evolution in road capable vehicles, EVs are a big step forward.

I don’t tout EVs as planet savers, but I really like the way they work and how little time and money they cost to operate.

Back